Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot is a JOKE

Search this Thread

Old May 8, 2009, 8:21 pm

Programs: MR Lifetime Titanium, United Silver
I, too, had issues with them. This was three years ago and they were still on the paper ticket system. Thankfully I had all my documentation that I booked and paid for the correct dates even though they kindly sent me a ticket for the wrong date a mere day before I was supposed to leave.

AFter lots of letters to Aeroflot, I finally got the refund for the ticket I had to purchase on the spot in Moscow b/c of their flub and got the miles from Delta (similarly had to send BP to DL b/c even though DL FF# on BP they did'nt process on their end).
Old May 10, 2009, 9:51 pm

Location: Happily living in Frenaros Cyprus having escaped the near-death experience called Sofia Bulgaria
Programs: Etihad Guest Gold, DL FO and 1MM, and a bunch of others at a low level
Personally, I would avoid Aeroflot at all costs. However, I have only flown Aeroflot on internal (within Russia) flights. This is the only time I have ever been terrified flying - I fully expected the plane to explode because of all the avgas I could smell and all the incredibly drunk Russian passengers ingoring the no smoking rule. Anyway, I have been told that international Aeroflot flights are OK.
Old May 11, 2009, 1:10 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Aeroflot is a great airline if things work to plan. If they don't, they have a rather unique, and rather frustrating, way of dealing with problems (e.g. they made me fill in 4 forms just because my bag didn't make a connection). They will solve the problem in the end, but you'll have to deal with mountains of paperwork and/or a fair bit of running/calling around. That doesn't make the airline a "joke"- it's just the way a lot of things are done in Russia.

Alternatively, you can fly AF and rest assured that any problems you may have will remain unsolved until they receive the legal paperwork from your solicitor!
Old May 11, 2009, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Thank you STBY for the totally out of date analysis of Aeroflot.
Old May 11, 2009, 2:30 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA EXP, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by STBCypriot
Personally, I would avoid Aeroflot at all costs. However, I have only flown Aeroflot on internal (within Russia) flights. This is the only time I have ever been terrified flying - I fully expected the plane to explode because of all the avgas I could smell and all the incredibly drunk Russian passengers ingoring the no smoking rule. Anyway, I have been told that international Aeroflot flights are OK.
Originally Posted by hfly
Thank you STBY for the totally out of date analysis of Aeroflot.
My thoughts too.

When was your experience, STBCypriot? I had excellent internal and international flights on SU last year. In fact, SU is my favorite SkyTeam carrier.
Old May 11, 2009, 3:42 pm
Suspended

Programs: *A
Originally Posted by MatthewLAX
My thoughts too.

When was your experience, STBCypriot? I had excellent internal and international flights on SU last year. In fact, SU is my favorite SkyTeam carrier.
I agree with graraps's previous comments about Aeroflot, but the SVO "experience" just ruins it all for me.
Old May 11, 2009, 6:29 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

People speak about Aeroflot like it is a comparable choice for most of their flying!! You only fly Aeroflot if flying to, within or through Russia, and quite frankly they do a better ob in modern times than 80% of their int'l competitors on the int'l routes to/through Russia, and are better that about 100% of their competitors within Russia. Yes the SVO experience stinks, but in Business Class, short haul Aeroflot has the best product in EUROPE. Long haulwise their biz product is quite decent. When I consider the fact that when I use them occasionally to fly from Europe to Asia via SVO, the Aeroflot anti-premium, that allows me to pay half as much in Business than many Euro carriers means in essence that I am not too fussed if SVO is dirty and unruly....
Old May 12, 2009, 11:32 am
Suspended

Programs: *A
People speak about Aeroflot like it is a comparable choice for most of their flying!! You only fly Aeroflot if flying to, within or through Russia, and quite frankly they do a better ob in modern times than 80% of their int'l competitors on the int'l routes to/through Russia, and are better that about 100% of their competitors within Russia. Yes the SVO experience stinks, but in Business Class, short haul Aeroflot has the best product in EUROPE. Long haulwise their biz product is quite decent. When I consider the fact that when I use them occasionally to fly from Europe to Asia via SVO, the Aeroflot anti-premium, that allows me to pay half as much in Business than many Euro carriers means in essence that I am not too fussed if SVO is dirty and unruly....
"SVO, the Aeroflot anti-premium"

I love that. Will have to pass it on to my friends working at State unlucky enough to still be routed through SVO.
Old May 12, 2009, 11:37 am

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Originally Posted by graraps
Aeroflot is a great airline if things work to plan. If they don't, they have a rather unique, and rather frustrating, way of dealing with problems. They will solve the problem in the end, but you'll have to deal with mountains of paperwork and/or a fair bit of running/calling around. That doesn't make the airline a "joke"- it's just the way a lot of things are done in Russia.
If SU ever gets their own forum on FT those words should be the intro everyone has to read before entering the forum the first time and maybe every 5th time as well.

Wise words indeed...^
Old May 12, 2009, 12:36 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by woody125
If SU ever gets their own forum on FT those words should be the intro everyone has to read before entering the forum the first time and maybe every 5th time as well.
OK, which do you guys reckon will happen first, SU getting a separate forum on FT or SVO3 being up and running?
Old May 12, 2009, 3:02 pm

Programs: SQ SPPS, EK I/O, CX DM, SU Plat, Hyatt DM, IC RA Plat, HH DM, AMX Cent
SVO3 Latest Update

Originally Posted by apoivre
OK, which do you guys reckon will happen first, SU getting a separate forum on FT or SVO3 being up and running?
SVO3

Being inagurated for full commercial use in Aug 2009. Dates are still a close kept secret because of the high profile guests list. Still not decided if its gonna be VOVA or DIMA. Don't worry you will hear full details soon.

The terminal is indeed a class act & SU has gove over the board with the goodies. Although I guess if they will have the appropriate human resources to provide the service with a smile.

Get ready to say good bye to SVO2 & welcome to SVO3.

Lastly to mate woody125. Mate your SU Gold will be of good use in SVO3.

Cheers

EGT
Old May 13, 2009, 10:51 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Excellent summation. ^

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.