Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Checked Baggage on Skyteam

Search this Thread

Old Jan 28, 2009, 6:50 pm
Original Poster

Checked Baggage on Skyteam

I am going to fly on 3 consecutive (different) tickets, all with Skyteam airlines, and would like to know if it'd be possible to check my baggage just once (nw pek-nrt-dtw-atl, af atl-cdg, az cdg-fco-fra) or i'd need to get the bags and check them again every the ticket changes?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 12:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

you shouldn't have any problems doing it.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 1:59 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Sorry to perhaps disagree but maybe I misunderstand the question.

It should be no problem to check your bag in PEK through to ATL on the first ticket provided you take consecutive flights, i.e. don't have >24 hour stopovers. Same with ATL-CDG and CDG-FCO-FRA, maybe even ATL-CDG-FCO-FRA.

However, if you want to check your bag all the way from PEK through to FRA then it probably won't be possible. Are you really going to be taking 6 flights to get from PEK to FRA?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 5:27 pm
Original Poster

that's right, 6 segments (it's a long story!) and the question i'm asking is indeed whether I can check in a bag at PEK all the way to FRA - of course I know I can check it in individually for each ticket. But I read somewhere that Skyteam provides a seamless process to check in and handle the baggage, so I suppose this will be the test of their capabilities
Old Jan 29, 2009, 7:37 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

IF they choose to do it - and it is a big IF - they can but they will have to manually generate a tag for you. None of the carriers have a system that can generate a tag for a 6 flight routing automatically. And I'm pretty sure that the official policy is seamless handling of bags across carriers on a single ticket, not three tickets that are booked end-on-end. You'll need an agent who REALLY knows what they are doing to make it happen.
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:08 pm

Programs: |QF Platinum|HH Gold|DL Silver|ALL Silver|
Originally Posted by mikkei
that's right, 6 segments (it's a long story!)
On a site like this, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the story is... Tickets bought on points?
Old Jan 29, 2009, 8:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Supersonic Swinger
On a site like this, I'm sure I'm not the only one wondering what the story is... Tickets bought on points?

If it was an exciting story, of course I'd be happy to share but it's a result of postponed decision-making and last-minute booking of a complicated vacation. Basically it started as a trip to USA (from moscow, so svo-cdg-atl and back) that became a trip to Vegas and China (atl-las-(lax-nrt)-pek) and return via nrt and dtw, and in the end instead of going back to Moscow I'm going to Frankfurt on business (thus af's atl-cdg-svo becomes af's atl-cdg and then az's cdg-fco-fra).

The tickets ended up being reasonably cheap though.
Old Feb 1, 2009, 12:05 am

Even if you can get an agent who knows how to tag the bag properly...I'd still be concerned about the actual probability that it makes all those connections.
Old Feb 3, 2009, 12:49 pm

Programs: LX SEN, AFKL Platinum, BA Bronze,
Originally Posted by DaDaDan
Even if you can get an agent who knows how to tag the bag properly...I'd still be concerned about the actual probability that it makes all those connections.

Don't take the risk or the chance. Bring carry-on bagage only.

You'll have enough difficulties checking in for the separate flights. Unless you can OLCI you'll be appearing to check-in airside not landside...
Old Feb 8, 2009, 9:07 pm
ICA

Programs: DL Plat, JL Diamond, TK Elite, A3 Gold, IHG Plat Ambassador, Hyatt Diamond
Originally Posted by mikkei
that's right, 6 segments (it's a long story!) and the question i'm asking is indeed whether I can check in a bag at PEK all the way to FRA - of course I know I can check it in individually for each ticket. But I read somewhere that Skyteam provides a seamless process to check in and handle the baggage, so I suppose this will be the test of their capabilities
Are you a Skyteam E or E+ with priority baggage handling?
But anyway, be aware with checked luggage when transfering at CDG!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.