Search

Which SkyTeam program to join?

Search this Thread

Old Dec 8, 2008, 9:56 am
Original Poster

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
Which SkyTeam program to join?

Hi,
I'm going to do 4 sectors on Skyteam (AF, KLM) this year and I thought 'oh, I might as well join a FFP program'.
I'm mostly based in CAI and DXB so I'll be using AF and KLM for any future Skyteam flights. So...which airline to join? I need a program that has a family member option, so that members of my family can be tagged to one account.
Thanks in advance...
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

which class of service are you booked in? some of the very cheap AFKL ones earn zero/25%/50% miles depending on which FFP you're in.

AFAIK, KE Skypass is very family-friendly, but it comes with all sorts of arcane rules like mile expiration.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 11:32 am
Original Poster

I'm booked in Economy so I'm assuming it's Y. I'm booking via Expedia so there's no way to know the fare basis. I consider my ticket quite cheap ($580 for AUH-LON-CAI) but that's because of the certain days I selected.
To explain what I mean by family friendly, I mean that I want my dad to be the main user with me and my mom 'tagged along'-however, I'd like something flexible with mile expiration.
My trip will get me 11,344 miles for both of us, assuming we get 100% miles each.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:01 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by directorguy_
I'm booked in Economy so I'm assuming it's Y. I'm booking via Expedia so there's no way to know the fare basis. I consider my ticket quite cheap ($580 for AUH-LON-CAI) but that's because of the certain days I selected.
To explain what I mean by family friendly, I mean that I want my dad to be the main user with me and my mom 'tagged along'-however, I'd like something flexible with mile expiration.
My trip will get me 11,344 miles for both of us, assuming we get 100% miles each.
Absolutely you can find out the fare basis from Expedia, just look under "Rules and Restrictions" link for that fare.
Old Dec 8, 2008, 1:31 pm
Original Poster

I looked there and....wow!
AUH-LON:
V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 VPROAE V R 772.00 D30AP T10DE -/‡ 5/ 1M EH01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-AUH TO-LON CXR-KL TVL-29DEC08 RULE-M689 IPREUME/22
FARE BASIS-VPROAE SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XPN RT-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE-TYPE FARES
AED 1500 0022 E28NOV08 D30APR09 FC-VPROAE FN-1J
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 27NOV08/1201 EXPIRES INFINITY

LON-CAI:
V FARE BASIS BK FARE TRAVEL-TICKET AP MINMAX RTG
1 NPREURO N R 89.00 T28DE -/‡ SU/ 1M EH01
PASSENGER TYPE-ADT AUTO PRICE-YES
FROM-LON TO-CAI CXR-AF TVL-06JAN09 RULE-2521 IPREUME/22
FARE BASIS-NPREURO SPECIAL FARE DIS-E VENDOR-ATP
FARE TYPE-XPN RT-INSTANT PURCHASE NONREFUNDABLE-TYPE FARES
GBP 60.00 0200 E11NOV08 D-INFINITY FC-NPREURO FN-
SYSTEM DATES - CREATED 10NOV08/1440 EXPIRES INFINIT
Old Dec 8, 2008, 5:56 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I don't understand exactly what this means!
I've got to say I don't like them Ns. At all. It earns between nought and 25%.
OTOH, V should be fine with most FFPs. At least as long as you're flying AF.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 12:27 am

Programs: UA 1K, Avis PC, Hertz PC, Sixt Plat, Marriott Gold, HH Silver
It sounds like by "family-friendly" you mean an account that can be shared by family members to pool their miles. AFAIK, no FF program allows this. Each person will need an FF account in their own name.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 2:57 am
Original Poster

Like for example, EK Skywards we pool the miles and as a result we easily get Silver and Gold.
Guess I'll have to make my own account. In that case....I'll do....either KLM or AF's.
Old Dec 9, 2008, 6:07 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Like for example, EK Skywards we pool the miles and as a result we easily get Silver and Gold.
Guess I'll have to make my own account. In that case....I'll do....either KLM or AF's.
If you're based in CAI and will be doing more travelling to/from/around Europe, it may be worth joining OK+ and aiming for at least silver (15 segments i.e. 4 round-trips in a calendar year) for some free upgrades plus PRG lounge access. With OK+, you'll get the same benefits (and mileage credit) on AFKL as a FB member...
Old Dec 9, 2008, 11:36 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I don't think it's AF now, is it?

AUHLON VPROAE is definitely a KL fare. Now, booking class V on KL gives full miles with the soon-to-be-merged DL Skymiles and NW World Perks, 25% with Flying Blue and OK+ and diddly squat with everyone else

This should help

EDITED TO ADD: Wait, I've got it. And LONCAI NPREURO is on AF, which is even worse: full miles with CO and AM only, 25% with NW, OK+ and Flying Blue

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.