Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam Mileage upgrade program

Search this Thread

Old Nov 24, 2008, 9:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL Plat, Mariott Plat, HH Diam
Skyteam Mileage upgrade program

Just found this and did not find it in this forum. Aparently you can now upgrade from a full Y international flight on any skyteam airline using miles from your particular skyteam account, regardless of the skyteam airline where you bank miles. So as a delta skymiles member I could purchase a flight on Korean Airlines and upgrade with skymiles. It is 25,000 miles one way, there has to be availability, and it has to be a full Y fare but it mentions this is a first step. Might help some folks whose companies say they must buy coach seats. I would be more interesting if they increase the possible fare classes.

http://www.skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyte...r/pr141108.jsp
Old Nov 25, 2008, 4:09 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Aerolflot now allows upgrades on other ST airlines using Bonus miles!

Press release in Russian (from SU website, not available on English part of SU site):

24 ноября 2008
Новая услуга от Аэрофлот Бонус
НОВАЯ УСЛУГА ПРОГРАММЫ «АЭРОФЛОТ БОНУС»
24 ноября 2008 года, Москва. – ОАО «Аэрофлот – российские авиалинии», член глобального альянса авиаперевозчиков SkyTeam вводит программу повышения класса обслуживания часто летающих пассажиров на рейсах любой авиакомпании-участницы альянса SkyTeam в рамках инициативы Mileage Upgrade.
Теперь клиенты бонусных программ Аэрофлота имеют возможность премиального повышения класса обслуживания за накопленные мили на один уровень от экономического класса на рейсах любой авиакомпании-участницы альянса SkyTeam (кроме а/к Alitalia)

Чтобы воспользоваться данной услугой необходимо:
– приобрести билет по полному экономическому тарифу на перелет, включающий хотя бы один международный участок, любым из 10 перевозчиков альянса (данная программа не распространяется на рейсы по соглашению «код-шеринг»);
– связаться с колл-центром бонусной программы для подтверждения возможности повышения в классе обслуживания;
– после подтверждения агенты по бронированию спишут мили со счета пассажира и выпишут новый электронный билет с подтверждением повышения в классе обслуживания.
Введение новой услуги – первый этап программы Mileage Upgrade альянса SkyTeam. На основании полученных результатов будет осуществлена возможность запроса и подтверждения премиального повышения в классе обслуживания через интернет.
Более подробно ознакомиться с программой по повышению в классе обслуживания можно на сайте «Аэрофлот Бонус» или любой другой программы лояльности альянса SkyTeam.

Summary: Passengers that have enough miles in their Aerolflot Bonus account can now use them to upgrade on other SkyTeam airlines flights (except Alitalia). This is a test program called Mileage Upgrade within Sky Team initiative. Based on the results they are expecting to recieve they will implement this award redemption (upgrade) via Internet in the future.

Here is the announcement from Sky Team webiste directly, apparently its available to all ST airlines frequent flyer programs members, but the ticket has be purchased in full fare coach for it to be elegible for the upgrade. Nonetheless, I think its pretty exciting! I havent seen it being mentioned anywhere before, and the first airline's website I saw it on was, surprisingly, Aeroflot's!

SKYTEAM LAUNCHES MILEAGE UPGRADE PROGRAM
Alliance passengers can now use miles from one program to upgrade on flights operated by another member

November 13, 2008 – SkyTeam, the global airline alliance, today announced the launch of the SkyTeam Mileage Upgrades program. SkyTeam Frequent Flyers on international flight itineraries can now use their miles to upgrade to Business class on most SkyTeam member airlines.

“The ability to earn and redeem miles has always been a key passenger benefit of alliances,” said Leo van Wijk, SkyTeam chairman. “With the launch of SkyTeam Mileage Upgrades, we are responding to passenger requests as we look to continuously expand upon the benefits we offer our customers.”

To take advantage of SkyTeam Mileage Upgrades, passengers must:

Purchase an international, published, full fare Economy class reservation on one of the 10 participating SkyTeam member airlines. The flight must be marketed and operated by the same SkyTeam carrier, as code-share flights are not permitted.
Call the award reservation line of their frequent flyer program at least three days in advance of departure to verify eligibility, check account balance and confirm if upgrade seats are available. At the current time, all requests must be made via telephone. The number of miles necessary for an upgrade varies based on the frequent flyer program to be debited and the itinerary. Passengers should visit their frequent flyer program Web site and consult the individual award charts for approximations.
If the passenger is eligible, has the necessary miles in their account and upgrade seats are available, the award reservation agents will debit their frequent flyer account and reissue the tickets with the upgrade confirmed.
For example, an Air France-KLM Flying Blue member traveling on Delta Air Lines from Paris to Atlanta on a full fare economy class ticket can use 25,000 miles from their Flying Blue account for a one-way upgrade to Business class. Once at the airport, the Flying Blue member can enjoy all of the additional benefits of Business class travel, such as additional luggage allowances, priority services and lounge access.

For full terms and conditions, and details of each alliance members’ participation in the SkyTeam Mileage Upgrade program, passengers should visit their frequent flyer program Web site.

This is the first phase of the SkyTeam Mileage Upgrade program. The alliance will use feedback from and results of phase one to improve future phases of the offer, including expanded criteria for eligible flights, the inclusion of Associate-operated flights and the ability to make and confirm requests online.

Last edited by asnovici; Nov 25, 2008 at 4:15 pm Reason: Update with more info from Sky Team website
Old Nov 26, 2008, 2:41 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

See:

http://www.skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyte...r/pr141108.jsp

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/showthread.php?t=892072

Full Y fare only.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 12:17 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
Getting better but still not great. I use SU miles for this already (50k round trip from FRA to OVB via SVO mostly). The 3 day rule is laborious but, again, this is a step in the right direction.

Kudos SU and ST!
Old Nov 26, 2008, 3:44 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No Terry, this is not yet defined a "full published" ticket could be Y and S on KLM, or YBM on Delta. We just don't know yet.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 5:30 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by hfly
No Terry, this is not yet defined a "full published" ticket could be Y and S on KLM, or YBM on Delta. We just don't know yet.
Not fully defined, but in each program that I have researched the rules for "full fare" upgrades today are only for the "Y" fares. Even though the airlines call the next tier down "full" in some marketing junk the upgrade rules are pretty specific. CO calls Y & H "full" but only Y gets the "full fare" upgrade rates. Ditto for NW and DL. I'm pretty sure that the European and Asian carriers are the same way.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 8:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No, absolutely NOT true, as I stated above, On KL it IS Y and S, on AF the same. On Delta it is Y B or M fares. I do not know what CO's rules are, but then again they are leaving Skyteam in the next 12 months anyway. Again, you may be right, but we don't know, although I should add that in Star alliance it is generally the top 2-3 fares on most member airlines and this program has been instituted in order to compete directly with Star Alliance.
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:24 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
With SU you can upgrade from Q fares and those higher using SU Bonus miles. The higher fares are (highest to lowest - Y, I, S, B, M, H, K, V, T, Q). I assume you can upgrade on SU using other ST miles also from Q. That is what I assume at least...
Old Nov 26, 2008, 9:43 pm
KVS
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by woody125
With SU you can upgrade from Q fares and those higher using SU Bonus miles. The higher fares are (highest to lowest - Y, I, S, B, M, H, K, V, T, Q). I assume you can upgrade on SU using other ST miles also from Q. That is what I assume at least...
SU's existing upgrade programme (for SU Bonus members) has no connection to the new SkyTeam upgrade programme:

http://www.KLM.com/travel/nl_en/flyi...d/index.htm#11
Upgrade awards for other SkyTeam airline partners

[..]

* Members must purchase an international, full-fare Economy Class reservation on any SkyTeam prime flight (i.e. using the operating carrier’s flight number)
[..]

Carrier Full-fare Classes
Aeromexico Y
Continental Airlines Y
China Southern Airlines Y
Delta Airlines Y
Korean Air Y,W
Czech Airlines Y,M
Aeroflot S,Y
Old Nov 26, 2008, 11:19 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Good catch as this hadn't been published elsewhere.

So Alitalia isn't involved

I assume that NW is subsumed into DL for this purpose.

Three carriers allow them for a fare below Y.

Their commincation is quite bad, and to be frank this program isn;t too impressive. I suppose its a sap to the economy, allowing those travelling on business for companies with economy only restrictions to sit up in Business class, as I cannot imagine anyone doing this for leisure (especially when many companies discount rates are listed as Y fares).
Old Nov 27, 2008, 3:26 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Well its not all carriers can upgrade all others... don't know how well the other Skyteam carriers are implementing this but CO is only doing NW, DL, AF, and KL... in reality its only adding AF and DL since NW and KL could already be upgraded on more flexible terms.
Old Nov 28, 2008, 2:58 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by dvs7310
Well its not all carriers can upgrade all others... don't know how well the other Skyteam carriers are implementing this but CO is only doing NW, DL, AF, and KL... in reality its only adding AF and DL since NW and KL could already be upgraded on more flexible terms.
This is not correct. Please read the ST rules in regard to that. It really does mean that ALL carriers can upgrade on ALL carriers (exception being SU cannot do AZ and vice versa, but all other combinations are possible). Has to be a full Y fare.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:11 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by asnovici
This is not correct. Please read the ST rules in regard to that. It really does mean that ALL carriers can upgrade on ALL carriers (exception being SU cannot do AZ and vice versa, but all other combinations are possible). Has to be a full Y fare.
AZ and DL does not participate to this new Skyteam upgrade program.
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:32 pm

Programs: Flying Blue
New reward booking classes

AM : class Y
upgrade booking class R

CO : class Y
upgrade booking class F

CZ : class Y
upgrade booking class P (intra China), I (outside China)

KE : class W,Y
upgrade booking class I

OK : class Y, M
upgrade booking class I

SU : class Y, S
upgrade booking class O

AZ and DL are not yet in this new program
Old Dec 2, 2008, 1:57 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lascarb
AZ and DL are not yet in this new program
Very useful!!

Any idea what the booking/fare codes are for KL/AF?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.