Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Skyteam Mileage upgrade program

Skyteam Mileage upgrade program

Old Dec 2, 08, 1:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP; A3 Gold; Marriott LPP Ambassador; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Very useful!!

Any idea what the booking/fare codes are for KL/AF?
My speculation is KL: S and B, booked into D
Old Dec 2, 08, 4:11 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by hfly View Post
Their commincation is quite bad, and to be frank this program isn;t too impressive. I suppose its a sap to the economy, allowing those travelling on business for companies with economy only restrictions to sit up in Business class, as I cannot imagine anyone doing this for leisure (especially when many companies discount rates are listed as Y fares).
In many of the markets it's offered from, D class (discounted biz) on OK is cheaper than (not just Y but also) M.
Old Dec 2, 08, 8:43 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by lascarb View Post
AZ and DL does not participate to this new Skyteam upgrade program.
Where are you seeing that DL does not participate? They are actually used as one of the examples in the press release announcement and there seem to be details about booking class and purchase class for them.
Old Dec 3, 08, 2:53 am

Programs: Flying Blue
Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
Very useful!!

Any idea what the booking/fare codes are for KL/AF?
For AF: Y/B/K (and H in Japan, and T in New Caledonia) to O in Biz
For AF: J/C/D to A in First
For KL: Y/S/B to D
no First on KL

For DL, I know that it is written on the press release but it is not mentioned on the AF communication to travel agencies.
And of course I have no code.
So, these are the rules for AF/KL Flying blue members.
There are probably different rules for others skyteam FF programs.
Hope it helps you.

Last edited by lascarb; Dec 3, 08 at 3:11 am Reason: precisions
Old Dec 9, 08, 6:25 am

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
This mileage upgrade program seems to be much more restrictive than what everyone is posting. I think the disconnect may be that some are posting what their own frequent flyer program offers as upgradeable fares, whereas the Skyteam Mileage upgrade program seems to be truly FULL fare economy.

NW offers its own frequent fliers upgrades with Y/B fares. Delta Y/B/M fares, KLM Y/S/B and AF Y/S/B/K. However as an example, when I look at the following NW chart, NW fliers can only upgrade AF Y fares, not Y/S/B/K like Flying Blue members:

Skyteam parner upgrades for NW:

SkyTeam Carrier Marketing and Operating Code Eligible Full Fare Booking Classes:

Aeroflot SU S, Y
Aeromexico AM Y
Air France AF Y, S
China Southern CZ Y
CSA Czech Airlines OK Y, M
Delta DL Y
Korean Air KE W, Y

Alas, at these fare levels it is usually cheaper to buy a discounted business class fare than use the miles to upgrade. Then again, it might be a advantageous for last minute travel.
Old Dec 13, 08, 6:43 pm

Programs: DL 2MM PM;VSGld;EKGld; HilDia; HrtzPC; AvisPC; PP; AmbPlt; JumeiGld; MeliaPlt; TajPlt; ShangriDia
As an add-on comment for this thread-- the Skyteam upgrade program is truly FULL fare Y class. I recently booked a Y fare international ticket with DL and after 20 min on hold with the NW Platinum line, they told me I could not use Woldperks miles to upgrade the DL ticket because it was an international Y fare that was not classfied as "FULL Y" fare.

That points out part of the joke of this program-- the domestic segments on DL were already upgraded at time of ticketing because it was a "Y" fare but yet I could not use NW miles to upgrade the international segments under the Skyteam program because the ticket was not FULL Y.

Since DL upgrades Y/B/M tickets under its Skymiles progam, I could use miles I have on that account to upgrade my Y fare, ut but then I don't want to lose the NW miles collection and EQM collection when others tell me I will lose that benefit if I pay the miles with DL.

So at the end of the day, my million plus NW miles are still worthless, because I cannot use them to upgrade a Y ticket and don't want to risk losing the EQM by using DL Skymiles for the upgrade since I am told I will then earn Skymiles EQM instead.
Old Mar 15, 09, 12:47 pm

Has anyone had success with this program? I am considering a trip to EZE on AM and Delta tells me I need to call AM and they will call DL to process the UG. That doesn't seem right to me. The rep also told me it is only 10,000 miles each way to UG NYC-EZE of AM full Y which also seems too low.
Old May 2, 12, 2:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Has anyone done an upgrade from biz to first on KE? How is it done?
Old May 2, 12, 9:19 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
AFAIK the ST upgrade program applies only for Y -> C.
Also I think that First awards in general are only for members of the home FFP. (AF might have a special agreement with KE though, but not for upgrades.)
Old May 3, 12, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
That's what an FB agent told me, but he seemed pretty clueless about it so I wanted to double check. Maybe I'll trying calling KE directly and see if there is a way. I'm booked in biz on the KE A380 LAX-ICN but I'd love to try F.
Old May 3, 12, 11:19 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
That's what an FB agent told me, but he seemed pretty clueless about it so I wanted to double check. Maybe I'll trying calling KE directly and see if there is a way.
The SkyTeam Mileage Upgrade Programme does indeed seem to be limited solely to upgrading economy to business:
As a SkyTeam frequent flyer you can use your Miles to upgrade from Economy to Business Class on international flight itineraries on most of the SkyTeam Member airlines (Aeroflot, Aeroméxico, Air France, China Airlines, China Southern, Czech Airlines, Delta Air Lines, KLM Royal Dutch Airlines and Korean Air).

See this thread for my recent experience of using FB miles for a Y->Z upgrade on KE.

Originally Posted by stimpy View Post
I'm booked in biz on the KE A380 LAX-ICN but I'd love to try F.
I hope you manage it!