Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
New airlines for SkyTeam

http://www.boarding.no/art.asp?id=33453

Anyone want to go to Tashkent?

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Uzbekistan_Airways

Last edited by RobtheAggie; Oct 14, 2008 at 6:38 am
Old Oct 14, 2008, 8:11 pm
Suspended

Location: Tucson, AZ, USA. UA 1K, reluctant but * best in class * DL FO/MM. Former BA jumpseat rider and scourge of Dilbertian management and apologists. As LX might - and do - say: "....an experienced frequent flyer of international airlines"
Well, although new SkyTeam members are to be welcomed, this does not exactly compensate for the defection of CO.

The current SkyTeam scenario is really good for many WP members: genuine and unparalleled reciprocity with CO and KL, both of which are under threat. We also have limited reciprocity with DL and AF and even AS. And workable codeshares with others like CM.

Often I have three genuine choices for my itins: NW, CO, DL. While we may complain about the lack of reciprocal UG with DL, and the 50% EQM on low fare classes with CO, these are minor pecadillos compared with, say: StarNet filtering of awards at UA, or over at OW, the utter lack of basic FFP benefit for AA/BA flyers on converse TATL itins.

I doubt DL will maintain this level of integration. I wonder what happens especially to the NWKL JV, which is the bedrock of the alliance and, according to industry observers, an industry-leading contract.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 5:16 am

Moving to CO will give the option of flying three domestic-based airlines after they join *A; CO, UA, and US, as well as good international partners. *A will be the only alliance with more than one US-based legacy.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:20 am

Programs: NW-PE, Blue Star SeaSmiles
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
Actually, Yes I do want to go.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:25 am
Suspended

Programs: UA Silver, BA Gold, DL Gold
Originally Posted by redtailshark
Often I have three genuine choices for my itins: NW, CO, DL. While we may complain about the lack of reciprocal UG with DL, and the 50% EQM on low fare classes with CO, these are minor pecadillos compared with, say: StarNet filtering of awards at UA, or over at OW, the utter lack of basic FFP benefit for AA/BA flyers on converse TATL itins.
Don't forget that a Gold or Plat will usually earn somewhere between 100% and 700% more miles for partner flights with ST, than you do in OW or *A, as you do not usually earn elite bonuses on partners in those alliances, and because partial credit fares are much more common (i.e. virtually all BA coach fares, and most intra-European SK fares earn 25% mileage). Even worse, in *A, is the maddening practice of having mileage accrual follow the operating carrier. Accordingly, when you book a codeshare, you have no idea how much your ticket will earn.

Originally Posted by redtailshark
I wonder what happens especially to the NWKL JV, which is the bedrock of the alliance and, according to industry observers, an industry-leading contract.
Why would you wonder about this? ST has already announced their intention, which is to (basically) expand the JV to one that includes DL, NW, AZ, AF, KL, and OK for all TATL flights, as well as (I think) the flights to Tahiti. My understanding is that this has already received regulatory approval. And I certainly don't see DL abandoning this, since both OW and *A are trying to go down the same path.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 6:38 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL, AA, US, SWA
Originally Posted by Blank Sheet
Actually, Yes I do want to go.
That would be a long flight on a 767ER JFK-TAS.

It says that they service JFK. I wonder if it is daily service.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:36 am
fti
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Lots of programs, dirt on all of them!
Originally Posted by RobtheAggie
That would be a long flight on a 767ER JFK-TAS.

It says that they service JFK. I wonder if it is daily service.
Once a week (Sundays) and there is a stop in RIX in both directions.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 9:53 am

Programs: Emirates Skywards Silver, Egyptair Plus Gold/*A Gold
What about Middle East Airlines? Skyteam lacks a Middle East carrier and ME has ties with AF.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 10:53 am

Programs: DL DM MM (fmr NW Plat), BA GGL/CCR, Aegean Gold, WorldClubs Life, SPG Plat, Hyatt Plat, HHonors Dmnd
Wow... Middle East Airlines would not be my first choice. Personally, I really wish we could snag Emirates or Royal Jordanian.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 11:49 am

Originally Posted by directorguy_
What about Middle East Airlines? Skyteam lacks a Middle East carrier and ME has ties with AF.
Syrian Arab, or Saudi are still free. I like the possibilities of the Syrian Arab 30$ return flights from DAM-LTK/ALP on the Yaks and Tupolevs. I would love to earn WP miles on those flights
Old Oct 15, 2008, 12:26 pm

Programs: *A Silver, AA Gold + Miles Scattered Everywhere.
I think that Uzbekistani airways is an obscure choice. they don't really have much service? seriously...how many people actually NEED to go to Tashkent besides people who live there? I would prefer that Skyteam have an Australian member.

emirates is a good choice as well.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 1:58 pm

The only airlines left that I really think add value to an alliance are the various Virgin products. It would give ST real alliance routes to SYD and MEL (when V Aus comes online), as well as additional European and US options.
Old Oct 15, 2008, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Emirates, Qatar and Etihad are all supposed to be pretty good, and they're all based within about 300 miles of each other (ah, little filthy-rich oil countries so maybe each of the major alliances could snag one?
Old Oct 15, 2008, 7:21 pm

Programs: UA 1K, CO Plat, NW Plat, Marriott Premiere Plat, SPG Plat, Priority Gold, Hilton Gold
Originally Posted by Carolinian
CO, UA, and US
That's only 2 airlines.
Old Nov 1, 2008, 6:38 pm
BA

Programs: Alaska MVP Gold, Delta Gold Medallion, Hilton Honors Gold
Originally Posted by directorguy_
MEA is joining as a SkyTeam associate member sponsored by Air France. They're in the process of a fleet expansion for this purpose.

Originally Posted by ifette
Wow... Middle East Airlines would not be my first choice. Personally, I really wish we could snag Emirates or Royal Jordanian.
Well Royal Jordanian is already in Oneworld and Emirates isn't interested in joining an airline alliance.

MEA is a good fit for SkyTeam because of their close partnership with Air France which is now in its tenth year.

Their drawback is that they're too small, but that will be changing over the next two years.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.