Beware the Lounge Dragons at BAH's Dilmun Lounge

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Sep 19, 2008, 11:37 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P, Hilton HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Delta member, Continental Member

So, there I was, starting off on a eventual 16K mile one week round trip from BAH, starting with KLM.

At the KLM check-in, the staff couldn't be nicer. When they saw that I was NW Gold Elite, they wrote out a pass to the Dilmun lounge. I was planning on using my Priority Pass, but wanted to see how this was all going to work out.

As I get up to the Dilmun lounge, I hand over the pass - which, in my experience, has been all that's necessary to get access to VIP lounges. Imagine my surprise when the Dragons - neither of whom are Bahraini - then asked to see my SkyTeam card. I went along, wanting to see how they would handle it, and they actually looked up my GE card, saw that it was issued in the States, and called the KLM folks to cancel the pass.

They were preparing to turf me out when I produced my PP card, which they greeted with sh*t-eating grins and an admonition that "I should have used this in the first place."

Dilmun Lounge is actually very nice and the staff in the lounge itself were extremely helpful, but standby for rudeness in making your way in.
Old Sep 19, 2008, 3:22 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

So what are we "watching out" for? That they will enforce the access rules as written?
Old Sep 21, 2008, 2:24 am
Original Poster

Programs: Mileage Plus 1P, Hilton HHonors Gold, Priority Club Gold, Delta member, Continental Member
Watching out for the Dragons countermanding the pass written by the folks at check-in.

One could reasonably assume that you were being guested-in, this being a hospitable culture. With other airlines and in other airports, in fact, I have found that a pass from the check-in agents is all that is necessary to gain entrance to a particular lounge.

In this instance, if I didn't have my PP card with me, there is no doubt that I would have been unceremoniously turfed out, causing a bunch of unnecessary hard feelings.

I understand the access rules, but there are also unwritten cultural rules in this part of the world, and the Dragons in question are operating in contravention of them. No so much my problem as my observation, and a caution to fellow-travelers.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.