Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Skyteam partner to Australia/New Zealand

Search this Thread

Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:23 am

Programs: DL MM, Marriott LT Titanium, AA EXP, Avis Chairmans
Originally Posted by tkey75
The trip is long, but I'll fully use my long afternoon layover in ICN.
My layover from LAX in ICN was highly stressful. We left LAX about an hour late due to mechanical problems. By the time we landed in ICN, I had to literally run through the airport to my SYD flight. However, KE held the flight as other connections were running late as well. However, my luggage didn't run as fast and was delayed 24 hours.

The lounge in ICN was nice, but the power outlets were so cramped that it was hard to fit my adapter into the outlet. Food was nice, and lots of shopping.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 10:38 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Actually China Airlines also offers service LAX SYD. http://www.china-airlines.com/en/index.htm

A previous post indicated that China Southern had service but I don't think they do.

Sam
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:47 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Originally Posted by samftla
Actually China Airlines also offers service LAX SYD. http://www.china-airlines.com/en/index.htm
Actually China Airlines is via TPE. The only airlins that fly LAX-SYD are QF and UA. (SQ was denied LAX-SYD. SQ claimed the Australian government wants to protect their national carrier on the lucrative route.)
Old Apr 24, 2008, 11:59 am
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels

Originally Posted by Bulldog King
Hawaiian Airlines recently became a partner of Delta....and offers limited service from HNL to SYD.
I haven't flown HA to SYD, but I am familiar with their PPT flights. HA uses their regular equipment, and the "Business" seat is essentially a domestic F seat. Ime, this way of getting to SYD isn't a lot more comfortable than sitting in an exit row, and I certainly wouldn't blow miles at the Business class level.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 12:34 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Originally Posted by yngdiego
My layover from LAX in ICN was highly stressful. We left LAX about an hour late due to mechanical problems. By the time we landed in ICN, I had to literally run through the airport to my SYD flight. However, KE held the flight as other connections were running late as well. However, my luggage didn't run as fast and was delayed 24 hours.

The lounge in ICN was nice, but the power outlets were so cramped that it was hard to fit my adapter into the outlet. Food was nice, and lots of shopping.
Sorry to hear that.

I have close to 8 hours during the day to explore. I am hopeful I will have ample time to have lunch in Seoul, or maybe take one of the KE mini tours.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 2:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As you would expect from an airline of their size, CZ do fly to Australia.
Also you may want to try AF; they have SQ-operated codeshares to Oceania. Not sure whether you're able to use DL miles for them.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 4:22 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by graraps
As you would expect from an airline of their size, CZ do fly to Australia.
Also you may want to try AF; they have SQ-operated codeshares to Oceania. Not sure whether you're able to use DL miles for them.
Minor correction, but AF actually code-shares on QF to a variety Australian cities from HKG and SIN. Unlikely that you will earn DL miles for these AF code-share flights with QF.
Old Apr 24, 2008, 5:55 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by leroy11
Minor correction, but AF actually code-shares on QF to a variety Australian cities from HKG and SIN. Unlikely that you will earn DL miles for these AF code-share flights with QF.
Correct. I was thinking about flights via SIN so I automatically wrote SQ as opposed to QF.
You can definitely earn FB miles for these, as well as OK+ miles, and most probably AZ ones, too (they have a FF relationship with QF)...I also think you'd be unlikely to get DL miles for them, but maybe you can redeem DL miles!
Old Apr 24, 2008, 6:56 pm
PMD

Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
I have booked ATL - ICN - AKL, SYD - CAN - LAX - ATL all in J with SkyMiles. On DL, China Southern and KE.

Doing a cruise too starting in AKL and retrning from SYD.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 8:12 am

Programs: UAL Gold DL Silver Hilton GoldMarriott Gold
Originally Posted by AndyTLe
Actually China Airlines is via TPE. The only airlins that fly LAX-SYD are QF and UA. (SQ was denied LAX-SYD. SQ claimed the Australian government wants to protect their national carrier on the lucrative route.)

Did not state this was non stop only that they offered service.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:06 am

Originally Posted by PMD
I have booked ATL - ICN - AKL, SYD - CAN - LAX - ATL all in J with SkyMiles. On DL, China Southern and KE.

Doing a cruise too starting in AKL and retrning from SYD.
Who are you using for the CAN-LAX leg?
Old Apr 25, 2008, 9:58 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by yngdiego
Who are you using for the CAN-LAX leg?
Presumably the only airline flying the route.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 10:58 am

Originally Posted by graraps
Presumably the only airline flying the route.
ok..China Southern.
Old Apr 25, 2008, 12:59 pm

NW has a partnership with Virgin Australia that going to start late this year. NW will connect to flights to/from SYD via LAX. This will finally get rid of the Korean issue. There may be an opportunity there to earn miles on DL and/or NW.

Official press release here:

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_003795.html
Old Apr 25, 2008, 4:57 pm

Originally Posted by motytrah
NW has a partnership with Virgin Australia that going to start late this year. NW will connect to flights to/from SYD via LAX. This will finally get rid of the Korean issue. There may be an opportunity there to earn miles on DL and/or NW.

Official press release here:

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_003795.html
WOw, that would be a big plus if the merger goes through and they keep the partnership. I'm a 30 minute flight from LAX and love 'down under' so this would be great.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.