Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Skyteam partner to Australia/New Zealand

Skyteam partner to Australia/New Zealand

Reply

Old Apr 24, 08, 10:23 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, AA CK, Avis Chairmans
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by tkey75 View Post
The trip is long, but I'll fully use my long afternoon layover in ICN.
My layover from LAX in ICN was highly stressful. We left LAX about an hour late due to mechanical problems. By the time we landed in ICN, I had to literally run through the airport to my SYD flight. However, KE held the flight as other connections were running late as well. However, my luggage didn't run as fast and was delayed 24 hours.

The lounge in ICN was nice, but the power outlets were so cramped that it was hard to fit my adapter into the outlet. Food was nice, and lots of shopping.
yngdiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 10:38 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FLL & EZE
Programs: AA Plat, DL FO, Marriott Rewards, LANPASS PS, Relais & Châteaux 5C Club, Club Swiss Gold
Posts: 917
Actually China Airlines also offers service LAX SYD. http://www.china-airlines.com/en/index.htm

A previous post indicated that China Southern had service but I don't think they do.

Sam
samftla is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 11:47 am
  #18  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Ponte Vedra Beach, FL
Programs: DL PM, HH Diamond, Fairmont Prem, SPG Gold, Priority Club Plat/IC Amb, AmEx Plat
Posts: 10,839
Originally Posted by samftla View Post
Actually China Airlines also offers service LAX SYD. http://www.china-airlines.com/en/index.htm
Actually China Airlines is via TPE. The only airlins that fly LAX-SYD are QF and UA. (SQ was denied LAX-SYD. SQ claimed the Australian government wants to protect their national carrier on the lucrative route.)
AndyTLe is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 11:59 am
  #19  
Moderator: Mileage Run, InterContinental Hotels & Radisson Hotel Group
 
Join Date: May 2004
Posts: 5,316
Originally Posted by Bulldog King View Post
Hawaiian Airlines recently became a partner of Delta....and offers limited service from HNL to SYD.
I haven't flown HA to SYD, but I am familiar with their PPT flights. HA uses their regular equipment, and the "Business" seat is essentially a domestic F seat. Ime, this way of getting to SYD isn't a lot more comfortable than sitting in an exit row, and I certainly wouldn't blow miles at the Business class level.
jpdx is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 12:34 pm
  #20  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: Oct 2005
Location: Somewhere between here and there...
Programs: WWF, Appalachian Mountain Club
Posts: 11,492
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post
My layover from LAX in ICN was highly stressful. We left LAX about an hour late due to mechanical problems. By the time we landed in ICN, I had to literally run through the airport to my SYD flight. However, KE held the flight as other connections were running late as well. However, my luggage didn't run as fast and was delayed 24 hours.

The lounge in ICN was nice, but the power outlets were so cramped that it was hard to fit my adapter into the outlet. Food was nice, and lots of shopping.
Sorry to hear that.

I have close to 8 hours during the day to explore. I am hopeful I will have ample time to have lunch in Seoul, or maybe take one of the KE mini tours.
tkey75 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 2:35 pm
  #21  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
As you would expect from an airline of their size, CZ do fly to Australia.
Also you may want to try AF; they have SQ-operated codeshares to Oceania. Not sure whether you're able to use DL miles for them.
graraps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 4:22 pm
  #22  
Original Member
 
Join Date: May 1998
Location: New York City
Posts: 3,407
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
As you would expect from an airline of their size, CZ do fly to Australia.
Also you may want to try AF; they have SQ-operated codeshares to Oceania. Not sure whether you're able to use DL miles for them.
Minor correction, but AF actually code-shares on QF to a variety Australian cities from HKG and SIN. Unlikely that you will earn DL miles for these AF code-share flights with QF.
leroy11 is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 5:55 pm
  #23  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by leroy11 View Post
Minor correction, but AF actually code-shares on QF to a variety Australian cities from HKG and SIN. Unlikely that you will earn DL miles for these AF code-share flights with QF.
Correct. I was thinking about flights via SIN so I automatically wrote SQ as opposed to QF.
You can definitely earn FB miles for these, as well as OK+ miles, and most probably AZ ones, too (they have a FF relationship with QF)...I also think you'd be unlikely to get DL miles for them, but maybe you can redeem DL miles!
graraps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 24, 08, 6:56 pm
  #24  
PMD
 
Join Date: Feb 2001
Location: ATL
Programs: DL GM, UA PE, National EE, Priority Club Plat, SPG Gold, AMEX Plat
Posts: 264
I have booked ATL - ICN - AKL, SYD - CAN - LAX - ATL all in J with SkyMiles. On DL, China Southern and KE.

Doing a cruise too starting in AKL and retrning from SYD.
PMD is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 08, 8:12 am
  #25  
 
Join Date: Jun 2007
Location: FLL & EZE
Programs: AA Plat, DL FO, Marriott Rewards, LANPASS PS, Relais & Châteaux 5C Club, Club Swiss Gold
Posts: 917
Originally Posted by AndyTLe View Post
Actually China Airlines is via TPE. The only airlins that fly LAX-SYD are QF and UA. (SQ was denied LAX-SYD. SQ claimed the Australian government wants to protect their national carrier on the lucrative route.)

Did not state this was non stop only that they offered service.
samftla is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 08, 9:06 am
  #26  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, AA CK, Avis Chairmans
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by PMD View Post
I have booked ATL - ICN - AKL, SYD - CAN - LAX - ATL all in J with SkyMiles. On DL, China Southern and KE.

Doing a cruise too starting in AKL and retrning from SYD.
Who are you using for the CAN-LAX leg?
yngdiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 08, 9:58 am
  #27  
FlyerTalk Evangelist
 
Join Date: May 2004
Location: Soon to be LEGT
Posts: 10,928
Originally Posted by yngdiego View Post
Who are you using for the CAN-LAX leg?
Presumably the only airline flying the route.
graraps is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 08, 10:58 am
  #28  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, AA CK, Avis Chairmans
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by graraps View Post
Presumably the only airline flying the route.
ok..China Southern.
yngdiego is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 08, 12:59 pm
  #29  
 
Join Date: Jan 2007
Posts: 5,643
NW has a partnership with Virgin Australia that going to start late this year. NW will connect to flights to/from SYD via LAX. This will finally get rid of the Korean issue. There may be an opportunity there to earn miles on DL and/or NW.

Official press release here:

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_003795.html
motytrah is offline  
Reply With Quote
Old Apr 25, 08, 4:57 pm
  #30  
 
Join Date: Mar 2006
Location: SAN
Programs: DL Silver (MM), Marriott LT Plat, SPG Plat, AA CK, Avis Chairmans
Posts: 1,347
Originally Posted by motytrah View Post
NW has a partnership with Virgin Australia that going to start late this year. NW will connect to flights to/from SYD via LAX. This will finally get rid of the Korean issue. There may be an opportunity there to earn miles on DL and/or NW.

Official press release here:

http://www.vaustralia.com.au/about-u.../P_003795.html
WOw, that would be a big plus if the merger goes through and they keep the partnership. I'm a 30 minute flight from LAX and love 'down under' so this would be great.
yngdiego is offline  
Reply With Quote

Thread Tools
Search this Thread