Programs: none
Skyteam from HKG to CAI(Cairo)

Looking for a way to get from
HKG to CAI on a Skyteam member airline.
Can't seem to find any. Even thru BKK.
is there a way??
dbase
Old Feb 29, 08, 2:51 pm

I'm confused... do you have any restrictions as to which cities or regions you can connect through? Because both AF and KL can get you from HKG to CAI with good connections. AZ may also be able to. Just check out the schedules on www.skyteam.com and if you want more connections try to break up your search into HKG-Hub and Hub-CAI and set Hub = CDG, AMS, ICN etc.
Old Feb 29, 08, 5:07 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

All SkyTeam options will require you to go out of your way, as there are no hubs between the two cities. If you really want to connect via BKK there is a KQ flight between HKG and BKK that you can leverage, but you'll still have to connect in Europe.
Old Mar 1, 08, 4:19 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sbm12 View Post
All SkyTeam options will require you to go out of your way, as there are no hubs between the two cities. If you really want to connect via BKK there is a KQ flight between HKG and BKK that you can leverage, but you'll still have to connect in Europe.
Or you can simply take that flight all the way to NBO and connect there.
Old Mar 1, 08, 12:04 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
KQ was certainly the fist thing that came to my mind, but its not the most efficient routing due to the stopovers. It goes from HKG-BKK-NBO-???-CAI. I don't know were the stop is between NBO and CAI, but it shows as a one stop deal. You leave HKG at 9:50pm and arrive in CAI and 10:35pm the following day.

KL and AF are the other two Skyteam options. I'm just using a sample date, but the KL flight leaves HKG at 1110am and arrives at Cairo at 2:15am the following day and the AF flight leaves HKG at 11:35pm and arrives in CAI at 7:00 pm the following day.

All 3 routes will earn about the same number of miles within about 300 miles of each other.

Since you're in business class I'd probably go in this order, AF, KQ, KL. I don't know what KQ's regional business class is like, but the NBO-CAI flight is on a 737. The other two use a widebody from Europe to CAI so it should be a full size international business class seat.

Depending on when you go, CI will also be an option. At the moment AZ doesn't fly to BKK or HKG, but they cooperate with CI on the BKK-Italy route (forget if MXP or FCO), so a KQ/CI/AZ combination will also be possible sometime later in the year when CI joins.

What FF program are you crediting to? This may also impact your decision due to differences in miles earned on different airlines in C class. Often times AF earns a smaller class of service bonus since they are a 3 class airline while the others are 2 class airlines.
Old Mar 1, 08, 12:20 pm

Programs: Flying Beurk Silver, BA Gold, BD Gold rememberer, A-club Platinum, Hilton Gold
HKG-BKK-NBO-CAI is a 7734 miles flight. I would instead consider taking HKG-ICN-CAI on KE. You're backtracking, of course, but it's still only one stop.
Old Mar 1, 08, 12:44 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by dvs7310 View Post
KQ was certainly the fist thing that came to my mind, but its not the most efficient routing due to the stopovers. It goes from HKG-BKK-NBO-???-CAI. I don't know were the stop is between NBO and CAI, but it shows as a one stop deal.
The stop is in KHT (Khartoum).
Old Mar 1, 08, 6:34 pm

Programs: UA 1K, DL PM
Originally Posted by Richelieu View Post
HKG-BKK-NBO-CAI is a 7734 miles flight. I would instead consider taking HKG-ICN-CAI on KE. You're backtracking, of course, but it's still only one stop.
KE uses the A330 on ICN-CAI which is only a 42" seat pitch in C. This is not the way I want to spend 12 hours in the air after paying for C class. KQ, KL, and AF all offer a much better seat and KL and AF are only one stop also. KE is using this aircraft on several of the routes to secondary destinations in Europe/Africa/Mid East.
Old Mar 2, 08, 2:47 pm
Original Poster

Programs: none
Thnks

thank you for the suggestions.
The HKG/ICN/CAI is a good idea
also to BKK via KQ to NBO then to CAI
but w/one stop.
Anyway its a long way.
dbase