Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Upgrade ATL - ICN (Seoul)

Search this Thread

Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:40 pm
Original Poster

Upgrade ATL - ICN (Seoul)

Does anyone here fly ATL-ICN regularly, or fly DL KE flights to Seoul from the states? I'm looking at getting the scoop on upgrading on that flight. DL says it does not allow for any upgrading at all, and I've heard one other person gripe about that. That route is going to be my primary travel route for a while, and I want to try to get some upgrades. They probably make it difficult because a lot of US Military use it and can rack up easy miles, I don't know. Any tips?
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:49 pm
TTT
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL DM MM, HH Diamond
As far as Delta goes international upgrades are skimpy. You must be flying on a Y, B, or M fare and have to use miles or a PMU which are given to Platinum Medallions. While Delta.com only shows the miles required for US-Japan travel, I would assume US-Korea would be the same. If flying on a Y fare it would be 12,500 miles each way. On the B or M fares it would be 25,000 miles each way. I don't think Delta.com has been updated to reflect the relatively new ATL-ICN flight. NB, there also needs to be space available in the upgrade bucket, Z, to use miles.

BTW, Welcome to FlyerTalk and safe travels!

If upgrades are not an option while on Delta, the 777s all have AVOD at each seat and have undergone a cabin refresh.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 9:52 pm

I'm flying DL, ATL-ICN this coming week on an M fare and upgraded for 25K miles. I've done similar upgrades to/from NRT several times, but always after being on a wait list. For this ATL-ICN flight there was no wait list so the upgrade happened as soon as I called.
Old Dec 1, 2007, 10:05 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, DL DM MM. National Exec... and my CC qualified for Plat. Status!
I think you will have a problem travelling on KE metal using and trying to upgrade. You will find that the rules state that upgrades are available on DL flight, not code share or partner flights. DL does have a flight to and from ICN from ATL on DL metal. You would at least have a chance at an upgrade on those flights.

Try to get one of the following to ICN...

ATL to ICN flt 91 on a 777
ICN to ATL flt 92 on a 777

I thought that their were more with DL but I just did a quick check on DL website and that is the only flight that I could find.

Happy hunting!
Old Dec 2, 2007, 7:32 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by elmococker
I think you will have a problem travelling on KE metal using and trying to upgrade. You will find that the rules state that upgrades are available on DL flight, not code share or partner flights.
This is the key. Within SkyTeam there isn't really a partner upgrade reward, so you're mostly stuck looking for upgrades on your home carrier (though CO/NW share as well). If you pick the one DL flight (and that is the only one) you'll have a chance to upgrade, but not if you're on the KE metal/DL codeshare flight.
Old Dec 3, 2007, 11:49 pm

Programs: Hilton Lifetime Diamond, Delta Diamond, Hertz PC, National Executive
I'm in Seoul currently, having flown a DL codeshare on Korean Air from Chicago. It was on a 777. I tried upgrading from full-fare coach to business, but no dice, even paid! Korean told me there were seats available (9 empty business class seats), but since I was on a DL ticket, I had to request the upgrade, paid, from them. I went to the DL agent, but they told me their inventory of codeshare seats in business was sold out. So, even though there were 9 empty seats, and even though I was willing to pay for the upgrade, I couldn't. The plane flew with 9 empty business seats. Oh, well, at least I had an empty center seat next to me. The AVOD was good, though, as was the food.

Tom
Old Dec 17, 2007, 1:39 am

Programs: AS, IHG and post-loyal
I'm flying out to Seoul soon on ORD-ICN, too bad about the upgrade. Would love to use my onepass/delta miles for an upgrade. At least the flight seems reasonable.
Old Jan 24, 2008, 9:20 am
Original Poster

Thanks BTW for all of the responses.

I made the flight, no dice on upgrade, but we sat on the last two seats (no third seat in last 3 rows) in the rear so it was just my wife and I, with plenty of room. Roger on the delta flight, we will book the M fare next time and use the miles.

I'm going to be doing a lot of intra-asia, I'll let you all know how that goes with CA, CS, NWE, and KE. NWE has a lot of great routes here in Asia, I almost figure I should switch to their miles program for the four years I will be here!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.