Wiki Posts
Search

Checking bags through on 2 separate ST airlines/PNRs

Search this Thread

Old Nov 16, 2007, 11:52 am
Original Poster

Programs: Various
Checking bags through on 2 separate ST airlines/PNRs

(Sorry if this is a well-known question - I searched the archives, and couldn't find anything.)

Next week, we're flying PIT-EWR on CO and then EWR-CDG-FCO on AF (on a different ticket) around 6 hours later. From all of the SkyTeam materials that I've seen, it seems that CO would be able to check our bags all the way to Europe. Is this actually the case?

The reason that I ask is that I normally fly on the Star Alliance, where they claim that any member airline can check bags all the way through, check passengers in for connecting flights on a different airline, etc., but the reality is often far different.

Thanks!
Old Nov 16, 2007, 12:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

No need to worry- they will check it through for you.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: La Ministreuse de Surréalisme, CO Plat, MR Plat, SPG Plat
FYI, CO routinely checks (interlines) my bags through to various international carriers - it takes a little longer (I typically allow an extra 45 minutes in case I get someone who is not skilled at doing this) and just ensure you check that they have the flight #s and city codes correct. I've had a flight left off a time or two so it pays to double/triple check.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 1:54 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

CO's official policy is that they don't have to do it. They always have for me, but you may get some pushback from the agent. Definitely bring a printout of the ongoing flight information and be polite about it. But they should do it without any problem.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:21 pm
Original Poster

Great - thanks so much to all of you for your different experiences with this.

Cheers!
Old Nov 17, 2007, 6:50 pm

Programs: Amex Platinum, DL Diamond 2MM, PriorityPass, Hilton Honors Silver
I will go through the same thing in a few weeks, except I will be flying Alitalia to Moscow and connect to Aeroflot for another international leg! Anyone has experienced the same? Input appreciated.
Old Nov 17, 2007, 10:48 pm

Programs: FB,BD,LH,EK,PC,HH,MR
Better check with the airport as this depends to the system they have aswell.
Old Nov 19, 2007, 5:50 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
my experience has been no problem FROM the US to Italy but out of Italy two tickets/PNRs...generally they are adamant about not allowing bags to be checked through. 20 years of back and forth and only had it done ex-Italy once...
Old Nov 21, 2007, 2:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA 1M
Originally Posted by bostontraveler
my experience has been no problem FROM the US to Italy but out of Italy two tickets/PNRs...generally they are adamant about not allowing bags to be checked through. 20 years of back and forth and only had it done ex-Italy once...
would that be because the US segments have a domestic flight and you need to clear customs?
Old Nov 21, 2007, 3:51 pm

Programs: AA LT Plat (4m+), AF Plat, A3 Gold, Hyatt Lifetime Globalist, Marriott Plat, IHG Plat/Ambassador
no.. actually they were BOS-LHR/AMS/FRA-MIL

Last edited by bostontraveler; Nov 21, 2007 at 3:59 pm
Old Nov 21, 2007, 6:38 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Originally Posted by UA Fan
would that be because the US segments have a domestic flight and you need to clear customs?
I don't think so. They usually just tag them them and you collect, clear customs and then drop them back off.

I think it has to do with a lack of customer service focus at the European carriers. From what I understand, the process of tagging the bag through is actually a bit difficult as they have to false book the flights to add a record on the initial PNR or something like that. So it isn't a piece of cake, but it should be part of the training for any agent. Whether they choose to remember it and/or acutally do it is a whole dfferent story.
Old Nov 21, 2007, 8:26 pm

actually they're not supposed to do it (which is foolish in today's alliance environment...logic being you can't prove you're really traveling on PNR B when you're checking in for PNR A)...

just be forewarned that it's more the rule in Europe that you'll face the adamant "checked bags only on the same ticket/PNR"...
Old Nov 24, 2007, 9:39 am
Original Poster

Just as a follow-up to my own question, this worked pretty well. The CO agent in PIT was pretty surly, but did manage to check our 2 bags all the way through to FCO. As a side note, we also had to check a booster seat in EWR, gate check a stroller in EWR, and check a stroller and car seat in CDG (our itin was CO:PIT-EWR/AF:EWR-CDG-FCO). The two things checked in EWR took a few extra days to show up in Rome, but all the bags did make it.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.