Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Aeroflot in Skyteam on April 14, 2006

Search this Thread

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: Bar Alliance Gold
I was looking through Delta's 767-300/400 seat maps the other day. 18.5" width for BusinessElite sure strikes me as an Aeroflot-type of premium cabin (I understand it has 60" of legroom, but man, I thought UA's 19" wide 767 C seats were tight).
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:21 am

What great news ... another foreign airline with a great past safety record joining SkyTeam.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:26 am

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
SU already codeshares extensively with Air France between CDG and SVO, 6 flights a day.
Actually, while Delta's BE is marginally better than SU's Business Class (seats on DL beat SU's C seats hands down, while service on SU is probably better), SU has a First Class with 180 degree reclining seats, quite a nice way to travel...at a half of what Delta's BE fares are. Plus the most excellent vodka and full caviar service in flight even in Business Class is a little better than the sad VINUM on DL.

For those of us who fly to SVO often enough, SU offers diret services from SFO, JFK, LAX, IAD, SEA to SVO...better than having all these connections one has to have to get to SVO now (except for Deltas only non-stop JFK-SVO).

In any event, Im glad that SU may join SkyTeam, more options is always good in this case.

[This message has been edited by asnovici (edited 06-05-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:24 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Since the fall of the Soviet Union and the westernization of the Aeroflot fleet, SU has had an excellent safety record.
Old Jun 5, 2003, 3:56 pm
In Memoriam, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL: 3.8 MM, Marriott: Lifetime Titanium
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by RobertS975:
Since the fall of the Soviet Union and the westernization of the Aeroflot fleet, SU has had an excellent safety record.</font>

I'm not planning to fly Aeroflot any time soon but I understand that their International service is operated separately from their domestic service, which is the one that has the poor safety record. Is this true??
I'm sure there are many on this board that can weigh in on this and clarify it.
Thanks...

Old Jun 5, 2003, 4:06 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by asnovici:
[B]For those of us who fly to SVO often enough, SU offers diret services from SFO, JFK, LAX, IAD, SEA to SVO...better than having all these connections one has to have to get to SVO now (except for Deltas only non-stop JFK-SVO).B]</font>
Any word on SU returning to MIA? And haven't they also served ORD in the past?

Old Jun 5, 2003, 6:30 pm

Programs: DL GM (2MM), Lifetime Marriott Plat, Hilton Gold, IHG Plat
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by Ezra:
Any word on SU returning to MIA? And haven't they also served ORD in the past?

</font>
They'll be back at ORD before MIA probably. They left ORD shortly after 9/11 when they discontinued the flight there through Toronto.

Indeed, Aeroflot has become a very respectable airline the last 7 or 8 years. I flew it domestically in Russia in the early 90's when there were seats with no seat belts, carpet not glued to the floor, and, I kid you a not, a meal of black bread (1 slice) and a boiled egg in a plastic bag on a 4.5 hour flight out of Moscow. They've cut back their number of destinations in Russia to serve only larger cities giving most other cities over to number 2 carrier Siberian Air.

Many have noted Delta's relationships with the less than first class airlines of Europe and Asia. Aeroflot is far from Singapore Airlines but their service is getting better by the year and they are in the process of westernizing their whole fleet. It is exciting to watch a company understand and grow in the discipline of customer service instead of forget and regress in that same discipline. Also, in ten years of flying them, I've never lost a piece of luggage. Now if they can just build a real airport in Moscow.

Anyone got any fun stories from SVO? The dungeon for immigration and baggage claim is frightening the first time you experience it but now I like watching other westerners who go through it for the first time. How about the taxi gauntlet when you pass through customs? Good times.

Old Jun 5, 2003, 7:25 pm
Used to be hamajicky

I haven't flown into SVO on an international flight, but I have flown from LGW-LED a few times. The first time really freaked me out.

When you get off the plane and walk down the staircase, you get loaded up into a cattle car (not kidding) and driven to the customs. At each end of the cattle car were guards with machine guns.

When you get to passport control, the aisles have gates on either sides that slam shut around you, and the guards with the machine guards are posted all around. Not exactly a comfortable situation if you happen to have lost your visa or something.

I've been to some crazy places, but that experience really freaked me out.

This was a few years ago, right after the fall of the Soviet Union, so maybe things have improved?
Old Jun 5, 2003, 8:42 pm

Programs: OWE AA EXP;*A TK Gold; Marriott LTT; Hyatt Globalist; IHG Plat; National VIP
Aeroflot does not operate its domestic service separate from its International service. In fact they are trying to have "seamless" connections between the domestic and international routes. However, as mentioned above, the SVO is an absolute nightmare (ok, its not really that bad, its got nice shopping facilities), but its dreary and sad looking, not to mention that seamless connections between International and Domestic routes are not that seamless due to the fact that Terminal 1 at SVO (domestic) is located on the other side of the shared airfield at SVO from Terminal 2 (international), and you have to take a bus (draw of luck), a taxi (exorbant fees) or arrange for a VIP service car that will take you from one terminal to the other without ever leaving the airfield (ive never done it, but Im sure its EXTREMELY expensive).
SU services have improved dramatically over the years. As mentioned above, SU had only one crash since the breakup of the Soviet Union, it was in the early 90's. A lot of media outlets report crashes in Russia as "Aeroflot crashes", even though the airlines involved in crashes are not associated with Aeroflot in any way, but for many Westerners any Russian airline is still an aeroflot. So, in respect to safety I would rather fly Aeroflot than some Western airlines.

I normally fly on SU LHR-SVO or JFK-SVO, and used to fly ORD-SVO when they flew there. The Intra-European services have inflight entertainment (free, of course), full hot dinner, complimentary alcoholic beverages, hot towels, thats in Economy, by the way! In Business (my TransAtlantic choice), the caviar service along with nice hearty food and champagne, PTVs, seats better than Delta's (if you catch SU's 777), or similar to Delta's (if you are on 767) Amenities for C and F are Biotherm products, not shabby eh. They are replacing thier aging 737s with brand new 320s this fall, and thier long haul aircraft are being replaced as well (all to 767's)

In regard to "a normal" airport in Moscow, there is one, too bad SU doesn't fly there. Moscow has a phenomenal airport Domodedovo DME, it is absolutely great, brand new (just completed last year), has a high speed raillink to Moscow downtown, clean modern facilities, great personnel, many choices for food and shops, but....Aeroflot will not have thier base there as SU is tied to SVO by contracts.
As a reference, DME serves Swiss, British Airways (starting July 1st), Air Malta, Transaero, Adria Air, and soon all OneWorld airlines. SkyTeam will stay at SVO unfortunately

Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:48 pm

Location: Cary, NC, USA - AA Plt 3mm/DL Dia 2mm, Hil/Dia Life, Bonvoy/Titanium Life, Spire
Tis goot! I veel pack many more chickens in beeg overhead space! Mavee nice Deelta pillot veel let my daughter fly big jet like Aeroflot pillot!
Old Jun 5, 2003, 10:55 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by outoftown:
Tis goot! I veel pack many more chickens in beeg overhead space! Mavee nice Deelta pillot veel let my daughter fly big jet like Aeroflot pillot!</font>

LOL

Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:05 pm

Programs: DL SkyMiles, MR, HH, ICH/PC, Avis Pref., Hertz Gold
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by woody125:
...and, I kid you a not, a meal of black bread (1 slice) and a boiled egg in a plastic bag on a 4.5 hour flight out of Moscow.
</font>
That is Deltas current menu in trancon first class now.

[This message has been edited by keeton (edited 06-06-2003).]
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:06 pm

Programs: DL Gold (2.5MM program miles), Airtran A+ Elite, Hilton Diamond, Hertz President's Circle
<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by outoftown:
Tis goot! I veel pack many more chickens in beeg overhead space! Mavee nice Deelta pillot veel let my daughter fly big jet like Aeroflot pillot!</font>
Note to Leo: great cost savings opportunity here. Play up the whole "Delta family" aspect. "Just keep it straight and level, little lady."

Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:50 pm

<font face="Verdana, Arial, Helvetica, sans-serif" size="2">Originally posted by asnovici:
Aeroflot does not operate its domestic service separate from its International service. In fact they are trying to have "seamless" connections between the domestic and international routes. However, as mentioned above, the SVO is an absolute nightmare (ok, its not really that bad, its got nice shopping facilities), but its dreary and sad looking, not to mention that seamless connections between International and Domestic routes are not that seamless due to the fact that Terminal 1 at SVO (domestic) is located on the other side of the shared airfield at SVO from Terminal 2 (international), and you have to take a bus (draw of luck), a taxi (exorbant fees) or arrange for a VIP service car that will take you from one terminal to the other without ever leaving the airfield (ive never done it, but Im sure its EXTREMELY expensive).
SU services have improved dramatically over the years. As mentioned above, SU had only one crash since the breakup of the Soviet Union, it was in the early 90's. A lot of media outlets report crashes in Russia as "Aeroflot crashes", even though the airlines involved in crashes are not associated with Aeroflot in any way, but for many Westerners any Russian airline is still an aeroflot. So, in respect to safety I would rather fly Aeroflot than some Western airlines.

I normally fly on SU LHR-SVO or JFK-SVO, and used to fly ORD-SVO when they flew there. The Intra-European services have inflight entertainment (free, of course), full hot dinner, complimentary alcoholic beverages, hot towels, thats in Economy, by the way! In Business (my TransAtlantic choice), the caviar service along with nice hearty food and champagne, PTVs, seats better than Delta's (if you catch SU's 777), or similar to Delta's (if you are on 767) Amenities for C and F are Biotherm products, not shabby eh. They are replacing thier aging 737s with brand new 320s this fall, and thier long haul aircraft are being replaced as well (all to 767's)

In regard to "a normal" airport in Moscow, there is one, too bad SU doesn't fly there. Moscow has a phenomenal airport Domodedovo DME, it is absolutely great, brand new (just completed last year), has a high speed raillink to Moscow downtown, clean modern facilities, great personnel, many choices for food and shops, but....Aeroflot will not have thier base there as SU is tied to SVO by contracts.
As a reference, DME serves Swiss, British Airways (starting July 1st), Air Malta, Transaero, Adria Air, and soon all OneWorld airlines. SkyTeam will stay at SVO unfortunately

</font>
DME is a great airport. Siberian Air uses it as their Moscow hub. They actually have jetways there too unlike the other two domestic airports in the city. Stealing BA from SVO was a huge coup and has SVO scrambling to get up to par with the rest of the civilized world. Before the 1980 Summer Olympics, SVO1 WAS Moscow's international airport!! Imagine that as the pearl of your aviation facilities. Delta will never leave SVO as they have the ideal afternoon slot that other carriers want and are moving closer and closer to wedding Aeroflot in the SkyTeam Alliance. Locally, we hear that won't happen without a new airport though. These days though, who knows...
Old Jun 5, 2003, 11:53 pm

Funny! Painful as it did happen once (kid flying the plane...chickens still do happen) but definitely funny.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.