Community
Wiki Posts
Search

MH to join ST

Search this Thread

Old Mar 1, 2006, 7:21 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA P, BA S, A3 *G, IHG Plat, Marriott Lt P, Hilton Gld, etc.
MH to join ST

2 days ago, NST (New Strait Times - Malaysia Daily newspaper in English) run an article on MAS (Malaysia Airline Systems) woes... Among the flurry of "interesting" revelaions, they have provided information from "undisclosed" source that their new managing director hinted that MAS is considering to join Sky Team...

While I dont know whether that would be a positive move for MAS or not, it will certainly be one for ST - that will open a lot of redemption opportunities, including long-sought Europe-Australia and LAX-Australia routes.

On other hand, they are scrambling for cash... generally, a lot of current press coverage is caused by MAS posting record losses.... being on the flight KUL-SGN today I see no wonder why... flight was serviced by A330 and the load factor was 25% at best.... so teir viability long term is questionable at best

AX
Old Mar 2, 2006, 8:18 am

Programs: BA GGL; AA LT Gold; AS 100K; DL MM GM; Hyatt G*list, Hilton Diamond; SQ silver
If they are scrambling for cash, isn't joining an alliance the best thing they could do? After all, if I fly in that area of the world, I'd like to take an airline that is in my favorite alliance. That would give them a lot of customers who currently do not have any ST options for flying withing SE Asia.

Similarly, I remember some article mentioning that Swissair going alone and not staying with DL when DL started flirting with AF cost Swissair dearly. Having a good solid partner accross the ocean is always good. In this case, MH would get 3 for the price of one!
Old Mar 2, 2006, 7:14 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Malaysia Airlines (MAS) managing director Idris Jala is expected to meet top executives of Air France next week to seek support for the national carrier's entry into the SkyTeam global alliance.

Talk of MAS joining a global alliance has been circulating for a long time and finally things appear to be moving in that direction.
MAS is the only regional airline that has yet to enter any global alliance and this has been due to its problems in the past. Its rivals, Singapore Airlines and Thai International Airways, are members of Star Alliance while Cathay Pacific is part of OneWorld.

Given Jala’s plan for a “hub and spoke” concept, a global alliance would help MAS as the airline would not need to fly so many unprofitable routes and yet offer the connectivity globally. A global alliance enables members to ride on one another’s network to provide seamless connectivity to passengers and this saves cost for an airline.

MAS reported a RM1.26bil loss but, with an extensive business turnaround plan announced by Jala early this week, the airline should be on the flight to recovery by next year.

During his presentation, Jala said MAS had too many destinations in Europe and that would in future be served via “hub and spoke” concept. MAS now flies to 10 points in Europe –London, Paris, Frankfurt, Vienna, Stockholm, Amsterdam, Rome, Istanbul, Zurich and Manchester.

Sources said although the network nationalisation had yet to be finalised, early signs pointed to MAS flying to only three of the 10 destinations while the balance seven would be served via its “hub and spoke” concept.

Of the three, London tops the list with one of the highest load factors. The second point is Amsterdam and the third may be Paris–Frankfurt or another point in Germany.

Industry observers also feel that SkyTeam needs a strong partner in the region that can link all its members with the right frequency and spread of routes.

Although one can argue that Korean Air is a member which also serves the region, MAS’ spread of routes and frequency are unmatched, according to the observers.

“While MAS may now be keen to become a member of SkyTeam, it is a question of whether SkyTeam welcomes MAS and that is what Jala is about to find out when he meets Air France's top executives,” a source said.
link

Pleeeeeease, can we have MH....
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:45 pm

Programs: Bonvoy LifetimeTitanium, UA Plat 2MM, LHW LeadersClub, IHGPlat, HiltonDiamnd, ASMVPG100K, WyndDiamnd
Originally Posted by apoivre
link

Pleeeeeease, can we have MH....

I agree, plus they have one of the world's best First Class lounges in KUL.
Old Mar 2, 2006, 9:51 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: HH Diamond, Marriott Gold, IHG Gold, Hyatt something
I'd love to see MH come into Skyteam.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:41 am

Programs: BAEC Gold, M&M Senator
Finally!!!!!
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:25 am
Hilton 25+ BadgeMarriott 10+ Badge

Originally Posted by Nevsky
I agree, plus they have one of the world's best First Class lounges in KUL.
Hehe, agreed, but too bad, it will still be access for F ticket holders only. On the other hand, I am more than happy with their Biz side of the wall Only difference it less people and dining style eating

Well, am happy that they are finally coming to their senses Hope AF will not give them a tough time.

Though if you look at the Enrich program, it is one of the worst program I have ever seen, very very priviledge as in you only qualify for Gold status when you fly on Business/First class..thus not an easy feat. Know a friend who flies them often in Business/First rather frequently but was told it was so difficult to reach the Gold status and losing it is also easier. I do wonder if they get into the alliance, how this will change their FFP program. It would be a big change on their side. Wonder if their Business lounge will get even crowded

I do hope the best for them.

Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:01 pm

Programs: DL Silver Medallion, UA MP, JetBlue TrueBlue, ICH PC Rewards
MH would be a great addition to skyteam. If skyteam can convince emirates to join them that would be an other awesome addition.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 3:29 pm

Programs: AA Plat Pro, UA Plat, VS Silver, Marriott Titanium, Hyatt Explorist
It's a good idea. ST is hurting for a carrier in the region, and MAS is hurting for traffic. Win/Win.

Maybe this will kill AF's codeshare with SQ SIN-SYD? If they can get rights ex-KUL.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 5:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA-EP, TK-*G, HL-DM, HY-GLO, MR-LTP
Originally Posted by oopsz
It's a good idea. ST is hurting for a carrier in the region, and MAS is hurting for traffic. Win/Win.

Maybe this will kill AF's codeshare with SQ SIN-SYD? If they can get rights ex-KUL.
AF doesn't codeshare with SQ between SIN and SYD. They codeshare with QF! I saw that 'strange' partnership at SIN airport yesterday! Similarly QF puts its flight number on AF flights to CDG from SIN.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 7:53 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA Gold AAdvantage Elite, Rapids Reward
Originally Posted by Guy Betsy
AF doesn't codeshare with SQ between SIN and SYD. They codeshare with QF! I saw that 'strange' partnership at SIN airport yesterday! Similarly QF puts its flight number on AF flights to CDG from SIN.
Yes, it is for AF does still codeshare with QF from CDG-SIN-SYD. They doesn't have more codeshare AF/SQ. Become SQ has been no longer codeshare with AF. But, they switching over to Star.
Old Mar 3, 2006, 8:00 pm
cpx

Programs: Many
only ST airline with a hub in that part of the world is KE, and its not
that great, MH would be a n excellent edition to fill in the void for that area.

Finally you can have a good coverage for around the world trip.

Lets hope this rumour has some substance.
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:27 am
Moderator, SkyTeam and Germany

Programs: BA, LH, KL, EY, IHG, Marriott, Hyatt, Hilton, Radisson
Of course it now depends on the skyteam members (especially AF and KE as it seems) if MH is wanted/welcome in the alliance...
Old Mar 4, 2006, 6:43 am

I thought AF didn't want MH in ST? I wonder if PAL or Garuda will join any of the alliances.
Old Mar 6, 2006, 12:47 pm

It would be great if MH will join Skyteam.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.