Search

Redeeming Alitalia Miles in the US

Search this Thread

Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hilton Silver
Redeeming Alitalia Miles in the US

Hello All,

I have 25,200 miles in Alitalia's program - now enough for a domestic award ticket on NW, DL or CO. Alitalia's website states 25,000 for an award ticket in the continental US. Wasn't sure if this included Alaska (since it is technically "on the continent" and if it is not eligible, then they should say "48 contiguous states").

Just got off the phone with Alitalia. The agent didn't sound to knowledgeable. With much confidence, she claimed that I can get an award ticket for 25,000 miles in the US INCLUDING Hawaii and Alaska!!!

This doesn't sound right to me. My guess is Hawaii is atleast 30-35,000 miles. Not sure about Alaska. But if what that lady is saying is true, then heck, I'm off to Alaska or to Hawaii!!!!!!

Any input would be terrific, fellow Skyteamers!!!!!
Old Feb 22, 2006, 1:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: Bates Motel Plat
Originally Posted by aardee
Hello All,

I have 25,200 miles in Alitalia's program - now enough for a domestic award ticket on NW, DL or CO. Alitalia's website states 25,000 for an award ticket in the continental US. Wasn't sure if this included Alaska (since it is technically "on the continent" and if it is not eligible, then they should say "48 contiguous states").

Just got off the phone with Alitalia. The agent didn't sound to knowledgeable. With much confidence, she claimed that I can get an award ticket for 25,000 miles in the US INCLUDING Hawaii and Alaska!!!

This doesn't sound right to me. My guess is Hawaii is atleast 30-35,000 miles. Not sure about Alaska. But if what that lady is saying is true, then heck, I'm off to Alaska or to Hawaii!!!!!!

Any input would be terrific, fellow Skyteamers!!!!!
Hawaii is 30,000 miles. As far as I can tell, Canada and Alaska are part of the 25,000 ticket.
Old Feb 24, 2006, 11:45 am
Original Poster

Programs: LH Senator, Hilton Silver
Thanks -

Thanks for ur reply. I did call Alitalia a couple more times and of course, I got different answers all the time. Although, the lady who sounded the most confident and who spent adequate time looking it up said:
Hawaii and Alaska were both 30,000 miles.
Oh well - will use my miles for a domestic award then!!!
Old Feb 24, 2006, 12:21 pm
Suspended

Location: Watchlisted by the prejudiced, en route to purgatory
Programs: Just Say No to Fleecing and Blacklisting
Interesting. The AZ award chart has Hawaii travel specifically grouped into the "Central America, Caribbean, Hawaii, Mexico" category at 30k/60k from all points in the United States which fall into the "North America" zone.

The only other category that I can see as including Alaska travel would be the "North America" one which lumps Continental US and Canada together at 25k/40k (goes from 40k to 45k in business/first if CO is involved) for intra-"North America" travel.

Alaska for 30k is not a bad deal, but the printed award charts are not explicit that it would not be in the 25k category. Alaska is part of continental North America and is part of the United States. Let's make that "Continental US".

It cannot hurt to try for an Alaska award at 25k, especially if you don't have 30k points.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.