Wiki Posts
Search

New MXP regulations- I'm miffed!

Search this Thread

Old Jul 25, 2005, 3:43 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

New MXP regulations- I'm miffed!

Effective sometime within the last couple of weeks, you are not allowed to cross over from Area B to Area A unless you're in possession of a Boarding Pass for Area A. In practice this means that you can't use the more spacious Alitalia Caravaggio lounge or the very quiet AF one. Which means that, whenever flying Skyteam outside Schengen and unless you are flying to PRG (OK have an arrangement for the Aeroporti Di Milano lounge), you're stuck with the always crowded Boticelli. Also the only wireless internet available here (AZ's computers have been dead for quite some time now ) costs 6,50 Euros per hour as opposed to the Telecom Italia price of 3 Euros! Not happy.
Old Jul 25, 2005, 3:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

If I have an international biz class ticket on AZ, can I use the AF lounge?
Old Jul 26, 2005, 7:21 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by slawecki
If I have an international biz class ticket on AZ, can I use the AF lounge?
The answer to this is not 100% straightforward but it does make sense so bear with me:

If you 're flying business class and don't have elite status, you can only enter the lounge of the airline you're travelling with.
If you are flying business class as a Skyteam Elite, you are allowed to enter any Skyteam lounge.
If you're a Skyteam Elite Plus, you can get into any Skyteam lounge irrespective of class of service (as long as it's international).
AF flights from MXP are, of course, international. Therefore, as per Skyteam rules, you are allowed to go to any lounge. But these flights also happen to be domestic in the sense that they require no passport control (both Italy and France are Schengen treaty members). Consequently, they depart from the Schengen part of the airport, which is where the AF lounge is located. That part of the airport cannot accessed by anyone not holding a valid boarding card to a Schengen destination.
Short answer: You are welcome to enter the AF lounge, but you have to be flying AZ (or AFKL) internationally within Schengen. The AF lounge is absolutely nothing special in terms of facilities (no showers or computers), but it tends to be very quiet and it's self-service so you can treat yourself to that sixth glass of red without getting too embarassed or bugging the barwoman too much.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.