Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SkyTeam announce UX, KQ, CM, RO entry as Associate airline

Search this Thread

Old Jul 5, 2005, 8:26 am

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat ; A3 Gold ; HH Gold ; IHG Plat Amb
Originally Posted by NickB
Interestingly, the fact that ST would only offer MA associate membership, against full membership in OW, was one of the factors pushing MA to go for OW rather than ST (see here).
Malev also states the following:

“Of the three big airline alliances – Star Alliance, SkyTeam and Oneworld – only the members of the latter collectively made profits last year,” noted Gönci. “SkyTeam offered only associate membership, while Oneworld will welcome Malév as a full member. In addition, one of the members of SkyTeam is Czech airline ČSA, which would not have been beneficial for us given its geographical proximity.”
I don't make the same analysis and I'm sure Star Alliance doesn't either. They have (regional) members in Germany, Austria, Poland, Slovenia, Croatia, and soon in Switzerland.

The point for Skyteam of having a block west (AF/KL) and a block east is to have mutual feeding from one to another. AF and KL cannot get much market from east to west themselves, Austrian can. Having routings through Malev (more for southern connection with alitalia...) and CSA (more for northern connection with AF/KL) would have been quite clever.

And that is why i think they offer Tarom associate membership.

I am finally not surprise to see Malev joining oneworld, i'm sure OW made some very good conditions for them. OW has members in the eadges of Europe that one cannot realistically transfer with. Iberia, Finnair, BA... they needed a partner in central europe to relay them to more regional destination and without Malev, it would have been difficult for them, since LH bought LX recently.
Old Jul 5, 2005, 9:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by ranskis
Malev also states the following:
"In addition, one of the members of SkyTeam is Czech airline ČSA, which would not have been beneficial for us given its geographical proximity.”
What a load of bollocks! I suppose they couldn't think of this "not beneficial" thing when signing a MOU with CSA a year or so ago!!!
Old Oct 29, 2005, 4:30 pm

Programs: FB Plat, SA *S, RG Gold
Any news on how long can take the associated memebership process? Does it will take the same time for all the four airlines? The MOU with Aeroflot was signed in May, 2004 and we are still waitng...
Old Oct 29, 2005, 7:53 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by rpg1973
Any news on how long can take the associated memebership process? Does it will take the same time for all the four airlines? The MOU with Aeroflot was signed in May, 2004 and we are still waitng...
By 2006, or so they say.
PS And SU hopes to get in in March, 2006
Old Oct 30, 2005, 10:28 am

I wonder if the Associate airlines will be able to upgrade to Full-fledged airlines. I still don't think Kenya (or COPA I suppose) should be Associate airlines. I mean, Kenya's operations are more extensive than CSA, aren't they?

What airline is PS? Ukraine Airlines? If so, I didn't know they signed a MOU as well. I wonder how close any of the Chinese airlines are to either of the alliances.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:27 pm

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Not necessarily. It may make sense for Air Europa to stay independent, FFP-wise, in particular if they want to co-operate with Latin American airlines (such as Aeropostal) outside ST,
Everything we've been told about the new associates so far is from the same ST press release (pdf) - and it says they'll have to adopt a FFP of a full-fledged member.
Old Oct 31, 2005, 12:30 pm

Originally Posted by samsonyuen
What airline is PS? Ukraine Airlines? If so, I didn't know they signed a MOU as well. I wonder how close any of the Chinese airlines are to either of the alliances.
PS is short for post scriptum
Old Oct 31, 2005, 2:49 pm

Haha, I read the quote "PS And SU..." wrong!
Old Nov 5, 2005, 10:57 pm

Programs: Skyteam
South America

Originally Posted by Mr. DeMucho
Still no South American airline in SkyTeam. I was pretty confident that TAM would be one of the four new associate airlines, given the alliances with KLM & Air France. Disappointing.
South America is somewhat serviced by Aeromexico and it's alliances.
http://www.aeromexico.com/usa/englis...nces_list.html

Of course you have the Skyteam alliance (not counting the 4 new ones) and the other ones, well, you have LanChile and Taca that do cover South America, also Mexicana and Aeromexico do this service.

List of airlines in the alliance:

Aerocaribe / Aerocozumel
Aeromar
Air France / KLM
Alitalia
Continental
Czech Airlines
Delta
LanChile
El Al
Korean Air
Mexicana
Northwest
Taca
Old Nov 6, 2005, 5:49 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL PM, MM. Coffee isn't a drug, it's a vitamin.
Originally Posted by joquiroz
South America is somewhat serviced by Aeromexico and it's alliances.
Joquiroz, welcome to FT (actually, looks like you've been here a while, but now that the ice is broken, hope you post more).

Not very extensive, but there is basic coverage of South America- see http://skyteam.com/EN/aboutSkyteam/d...p/samerica.jsp

That should increase both with the new members and since DL says it want's to increase it's international routing.
Old Nov 8, 2005, 8:22 am

Programs: DL FO - CO Gold
Originally Posted by samsonyuen
Haha, I read the quote "PS And SU..." wrong!
No, You read it right. It was written wrong. Punctuation is always nice.
Dave
Old Feb 2, 2007, 6:57 am

A year and a half later, UX, KQ and CM reinforce their commitment to join ST - or, as Reuters puts it, "joined" the alliance today.
Looks like Tarom is out
Old Feb 2, 2007, 8:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL SkyClub Lifer
Originally Posted by apoivre
A year and a half later, UX, KQ and CM reinforce their commitment to join ST - or, as Reuters puts it, "joined" the alliance today.
Looks like Tarom is out
Great! What will this mean for my chances of earning EQMs on KQ flights as a NW WP PE? I'm all ears.
Old Feb 2, 2007, 4:03 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM Marriott Platinum, HH Diamond,
Kenya AW Update?

http://www.eastandard.net/hm_news/ne...eid=1143964352
Old Feb 10, 2007, 6:21 am

Programs: FB Silver / Spanair Plus Silver
Not necessarily. It may make sense for Air Europa to stay independent, FFP-wise, in particular if they want to co-operate with Latin American airlines (such as Aeropostal) outside ST,
As long as I know from UX workers they'll join the "Flying Blue" program.

I was today spotting planes at my airport and one of my colleages told me about the "possibility" of Alitalia leaving the alliance as there are rumours and their newest planes aren't showing the SkyTeam sticker. Does anyone knows something about it?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.