Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Whither Emirates?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:20 am

Programs: BA Gold Guest List; HH Diamond; Hyatt Diamond; SPG Gold
Originally Posted by Andrius
I know you can have bad experience on any airline and my God I had my share of shoddy treatment on many members of OneWorld and *A, but there is little that can compare with consistent and reliable insolvency and industrial relations news feed generated by Alitalia and AF.
Emphasis mine ... United Airlines - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. US Airways - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (for the second time). Air Canada - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Ansett Australia - bankrupt and liquidated. Air NZ - 80% government buyout to protect from bankruptcy.

Yeah, you really have to admire the record of solvency in the Star Alliance.

Last edited by NickW; Sep 20, 2004 at 3:30 am
Old Sep 20, 2004, 6:31 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
I flew Aeroflot a lot, and I think that many reviewers have a positive impression because of their extremely low expectations. After what SU was ten years ago, I am sure passengers are pleased when no-one is punching them in the face during boarding And if you take an Airbus it will be superior to Tupolev or Yakovlev, even with the ugliest interior design in the world.
Next time you want to sound like an old Russia/CIS hand, substitute Yakovlev for Ilyushin (as in "it will be superior to Tupolev or Ilyushin, etc"). SU doesn't fly a single scheduled route on a Yakovlev plane if my copy of their timetable is anything to go by.

SU mostly operates Airbus and Boeing aircraft on their European routes (with an odd Fokker thrown in for good measure on the morning run to VIE) and most people flying out of Moscow prefer their coach to that of their Western competitors for better amenities. Being based at MOW I still try not to fly SU (their ff programme is a joke). But let's be fair - apart from their serious image issues their are a) not worse than your average European airline on European routes b) the only half-decent option on intra-Russia/CIS routes c)no match to top quality Asian carriers on Asian routes
Old Sep 20, 2004, 7:59 am

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by apoivre
Next time you want to sound like an old Russia/CIS hand, substitute Yakovlev for Ilyushin (as in "it will be superior to Tupolev or Ilyushin, etc"). SU doesn't fly a single scheduled route on a Yakovlev plane if my copy of their timetable is anything to go by.
I don't get your irony my friend. I never said SU currently flies Yakovlevs. They used to. I used this particular name to say that what they do now is far superior to the horror of the past.

Out of interest: Yak-40 are still used by some babyflots, I flew one most recently in December 2003 from KHV to VVO (operated by Vladavia) and it was a sheer horror, not least because it was minus 30 outside and the thing was not heated prior to boarding. Even An-24 Antonov is much better.

Originally Posted by apoivre
SU mostly operates Airbus and Boeing aircraft on their European routes (with an odd Fokker thrown in for good measure on the morning run to VIE) and most people flying out of Moscow prefer their coach to that of their Western competitors for better amenities. Being based at MOW I still try not to fly SU (their ff programme is a joke). But let's be fair - apart from their serious image issues their are a) not worse than your average European airline on European routes b) the only half-decent option on intra-Russia/CIS routes c)no match to top quality Asian carriers on Asian routes
I agree completely: APART FROM IMAGE ISSUES, they are not inferior to average European airline quality.
Old Sep 20, 2004, 8:02 am

Programs: UA1P, SK S, BA B, SPG G, Hyatt G, HH G, HM Revenue & Customs Lifetime MilkCow Platinum Plus
Originally Posted by NickW
Emphasis mine ... United Airlines - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. US Airways - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection (for the second time). Air Canada - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection. Ansett Australia - bankrupt and liquidated. Air NZ - 80% government buyout to protect from bankruptcy.

Yeah, you really have to admire the record of solvency in the Star Alliance.
Yes, now that I think about it you're right.

I rubbed many ST fans the wrong way with my comments; I think I now know that it's just the matter of my distaste for AF which percolated to the whole ST
Old Sep 20, 2004, 1:20 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
Maybe we should separate the quality by classes. At least separate Economy from biz/first. For cheap economy, considering the miles earned, Star is the best followed by Skyteam, although individual airlines have somewhat different programs. OW shouldn't even be mentioned in this category as they suck for giving miles on cheap tickets.

For biz/first, OW has the great BA seats and decent service and the others follow...
Old Sep 20, 2004, 3:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by stimpy
For biz/first, OW has the great BA seats and decent service and the others follow...
BA's longhaul seats/service may be good but that clearly isn't enough for somebody wanting to fly from/to one of the many places OW doesn't cover sufficiently!
Edited to add: And remember that BA offers what probably is the least convenient hub in Europe; the overcrowded, zoo-like LHR and, for the few that can put up with LHR, has in store the LGW/LHR switch for extra enjoyment.

Last edited by graraps; Sep 20, 2004 at 4:06 pm
Old Sep 20, 2004, 4:17 pm

Originally Posted by graraps
And remember that BA offers what probably is the least convenient hub in Europe; the overcrowded, zoo-like LHR and, for the few that can put up with LHR, has in store the LGW/LHR switch for extra enjoyment.
How true. Those of us living next to LHR and using it as a departure point often forget how diabolical London can be as a hub (don't get me started on LGW-LHR transfer; Tokyo Narita to Haneda is an effortless bliss by comparison).

But then if LHR is bad for BA passengers, spare a thought for those reduced to using T2. Now this must have been designed by someone hating tall people. Don't you just love checking in for an early-morning LH or OS flight?
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Ask anyone on the AF forum, I am no friend of AF, I hate the airline, but in terms of comparison they must be included.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 1:57 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Four Seasons Contributor BadgeMandarin Oriental Contributor Badge

Location: Seat 1A, Juice pretty much everywhere, Mucci des Coins Exotiques
But then if LHR is bad for BA passengers, spare a thought for those reduced to using T2. Now this must have been designed by someone hating tall people. Don't you just love checking in for an early-morning LH or OS flight?
I don't get this? I'm tall and fly AF out of T2 often, but never early morning! The only thing I hate about T2 is the overcrowding and no decent food. But I usually just head for the AF lounge.

As for transiting LHR, I actually like it. When I used to fly BA monthly LAX-LHR-NCE I got used to the bus and quite enjoyed the shopping and the BA F or Concorde lounge. Later when they added the MB Spa it was great! I've transited LHR well over 100 times over the last several years and I've never had a significant problem other than one very long security queue during a holiday period. Now I know to avoid LHR when the holiday masses are coming or going. I only did the GTW-LHR transfer once and hired a taxi for that. It was expensive, but worth it to me.

I guess there is one thing I REALLY hate about LHR and that is how long it takes to drive there (with or without the M25/T5 construction), return my Avis car and take the bus to the terminal. It's about 5 times as long as doing the same at most other airports including LAX.
Old Sep 21, 2004, 3:00 am

Originally Posted by stimpy
I don't get this? I'm tall and fly AF out of T2 often, but never early morning! The only thing I hate about T2 is the overcrowding and no decent food. But I usually just head for the AF lounge.
I meant check-in area where the celings are so low you can reach them with a raised elbow.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 7:03 am

Programs: formerly UA GS, now lowly MM lifetime gold :(
I'm glad to see this topic was not hijacked as so many others are.
Old Sep 28, 2004, 10:46 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: FB Silver going for Gold
Originally Posted by NickW
Air Canada - in Chapter 11 bankruptcy protection.
Chapter 11 doesn't apply to AC or within Canada. AC isn't a U.S. airline. It did file for CCAA reorganization (previously, the liquidating administrators would just have been called in).
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:35 am

Programs: BA[G], SQ[G], TK[G], DL[PM], EY[G], AF[S], IC[Amb], HH[G]
Originally Posted by ralfkrippner
And look at the major competition that is building up fast in the region of the UAE: Etihad, Gulf, Oman!

I would expect Emirates to join an alliance as soon as they halfway finished / published their expansion plans. Alliances may tend to try to limit the expansion of their new members if they touch routes other members already serve...

Emirates surely would be a great milestone for skyteam in becoming a powerful alliance. And KL/CO/NW even have their RTW tickets together with EK as a partner (same argument pro MH in skyteam)...

So I think there is hope, albeit not in the next 1 or 2 years I guess...
i think EK will not join any alliance till the royalty highness will live. He said strongly EK wants ONLY bilateral codesharing, nothing else.

BTW, please Etihad is not a very good carrier....
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:38 am

I think Emirates, with their service quality and their fantastic reputation would be MAD to joing ST.
I agree with you 100%.
i can easily see which is the advantage for ST, but i cannot understand which would be the benefit for EK in joining ST.
Please, some one tell me which is the profit:-)
Old Sep 28, 2004, 11:47 am

Originally Posted by mpomfret
Whilst not in any alliance like ST, Emirates does have partnerships with Singapore, JAL, United, Delta, SAA, Continental, and BA (although this is ending) so EK miles can be earnt with any of the above and vice versa.
ehm.... EK does not have ANY codesharing agreement with SQ, UA or DL.
Joining an alliance means to codesharing some of your own flights

EK codesharing agreements:
(for Asia & Africa) TG, PR, SAA, AI, JL AI
(for EU & US) UL TG BA CO

EK SQ have only FFP affiliation!!!! the same is with: DL UA BA (ending) CO SQ JL SAA.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.