Community
Wiki Posts
Search

China Southern in SkyTeam

Search this Thread

Old Aug 22, 2004, 9:45 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Smile China Southern in SkyTeam

I guess it will be official very soon.

http://biz.yahoo.com/rc/040822/airli...outhern_1.html

China Southern aims to join global airline alliance

Now if only their was sufficient traffic to justify daily LAX to CAN flights.
Old Aug 23, 2004, 12:55 am

Programs: BAEC Silver, Vietnam Airlines Lotusmiles Platinum
Has anyone heard a projected start date ?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:13 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by Cris L
Has anyone heard a projected start date ?
No, but they're a welcome addition. The fall looks great for Skyteam with the addition of China Southern, KLM, Continental, Northwest, and Aeroflot. Let's keep our fingers crossed for Malev, Malaysian and some other surprises.

When are we going to get a good carrier from the South Pacific or South America?
Old Aug 24, 2004, 7:47 am

Programs: KLM Flying Dutchman forever, bmi Diamond Club (is there a theme here?), LH, BA, EK, DL nobody
Originally Posted by jmscsc
The fall looks great for Skyteam with the addition of China Southern, KLM, Continental, Northwest, and Aeroflot.
China Southern and Aeroflot are unlikely to join before 2005. KL, CO and NW are scheduled to become members in a few weeks
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:13 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Programs: CO Gold, DL Gold, AA, AS, VX, Hilton Diamond, Marriot, Hertz #1 Gold, Avis Preferred
Smile More SkyTeam

And maybe Kenya Airways, "The Pride of Africa", sometime in the not too distant future.
Old Aug 24, 2004, 8:22 pm

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
When are we going to get a good carrier from the South Pacific...?
Who else do you propose? Continental Air Micronesia is as dominant as it gets in the South Pacific and will become part of ST when CO joins next month. Since Qantas and Air New Zealand are locked in other alliances and unavailable, I'm not sure what "good carrier from the South Pacific" that leaves.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 2:37 am

Programs: AF Gold, QF Plat, VX, AA, UA
well there is air tahiti nui, who already has relationships (i believe) with af and dl. their network is limited, but they do fly to nz and oz.

as for malaysian, it looks like they will be indicating their interest soon:

Fuaad also said MAS would be making an application to join a global airline alliance next month. “We are at the stage of indicating our interest (to the alliance) and it would probably take about a year before we are admitted,” he said.
(it clearly won't be star, and oneworld doesn't make nearly as much sense as skyteam.)
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:19 am

Programs: Delta Platinum Medallion, Crown Room Club Member, United Mileage Plus, HiltonHonors
Originally Posted by DLfan
Who else do you propose? Continental Air Micronesia is as dominant as it gets in the South Pacific and will become part of ST when CO joins next month. Since Qantas and Air New Zealand are locked in other alliances and unavailable, I'm not sure what "good carrier from the South Pacific" that leaves.
While CO's Air Micronesia dominates Guam and some of the other islands they do not serve Australia or New Zealand, so their addition to Skyteam doesn't help in that department.

Who else do I propose ... well, Hawaiian Airlines, Phillipine Airlines, Air Niugini, and Air Pacific would be a good place to start.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:44 am

Programs: DL DM/2MM, Etihad Gold, HHonors Diamond, SPG Gold
Who else do I propose ... well, Hawaiian Airlines, Phillipine Airlines, Air Niugini, and Air Pacific would be a good place to start.
I've also pondered the possibility of Hawaiian or even Alaska eventually joining ST, especially given their current relationships with CO and NW. DL has long been the only major without a code sharing arrangement with either Hawaiian or Aloha. That said, though, I don't think Hawaiian, Alaska or the others you mention (with the possible exception of PAL) are large enough to make full membership in ST viable for them. I agree with the other posters that Malaysian would make a great addition.

I believe the real plum for ST would be JAL. They are by far the largest airline out there still uncommitted to an alliance. I'm not sure KE would welcome their membership, but I sure would and they have great coverage throughout the world. I hope someone in ST is chasing them hard.
Old Aug 25, 2004, 5:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Do you mean to tell me that Air Mike in the last few days/weeks stopped serving Cairns after many decades of service?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:11 pm

Programs: CO Plat/MM, PClub Plat, HHnrs Gold, MRwds Silver, SPG Silver
i'm really surprised that you have not mentioned copa or emirates? maybe ST members can generate enough demand for copa to expand better into south america? also, emirates is in a key location for access to africa and europe from SE and south central asia ... do i hear RTW tickets?
Old Aug 25, 2004, 8:30 pm
In Memoriam
Original Poster

Copa

With the COPA Continental connection, it would seem that COPA membership in ST should occur as normal and logical in the chain of event. However, there is nothing "normal" and “logical” about the airline business these days.
Old Aug 26, 2004, 12:25 pm

While CO's Air Micronesia dominates Guam and some of the other islands they do not serve Australia or New Zealand, so their addition to Skyteam doesn't help in that department.
CO does fly into Cairns.
Old Aug 28, 2004, 12:40 pm

Programs: DL, AA
SkyTeam Signs Agreement With China Southern Airlines
http://biz.yahoo.com/prnews/040828/cgsa001a_1.html
Old Aug 28, 2004, 2:07 pm
aw

Programs: TK Miles & Smiles, CM ConnectMiles, AA Advantage
Originally Posted by DLfan
Since Qantas and Air New Zealand are locked in other alliances and unavailable, I'm not sure what "good carrier from the South Pacific" that leaves.
It would be nice to have Air Tahiti Nui join ST. I believe they have a close association with AF already. Since most ST members offer only 2 cabin service (J or Y), I'd like to see a carrier that offers F/J/Y join the team.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.