Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Global Airline Alliances > SkyTeam
Reload this Page >

Frequent flyer: Which progam to use

Old Feb 1, 2020, 12:49 pm
Original Poster

For SkyTeam which FF chart should I look at to see how many miles I will get. So I am thinking:

Buy the ticket on Delta website, One of the flights is on KLM and another is on Virgin Atlantic. And I am thinking of crediting to Korean Skypass if the accrual is decent.

So which chart should I look at?

TY
Old Feb 1, 2020, 2:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by sarpotd
For SkyTeam which FF chart should I look at to see how many miles I will get.
So I am thinking: Buy the ticket on Delta website, One of the flights is on KLM and another is on Virgin Atlantic. And I am thinking of crediting to Korean Skypass if the accrual is decent.

So which chart should I look at?
Look at the web site/charts/tables of the freq flyer program you a member of/want to credit to. What the flight would earn with other ffp's is irrelevant.
Some ffp's are revenue based. Can have different rules for flights not bought on your home airline

Accrual is only the part of the equation. With awards, the burn/surcharge is the other part.

https://www.wheretocredit.com/
https://www.wheretocredit.com/klm
https://www.wheretocredit.com/vs

https://www.awardhacker.com/

Skyteam: Which SkyTeam program should I sign up for?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 1, 2020 at 2:30 pm
Old Feb 1, 2020, 10:31 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
Look at the web site/charts/tables of the freq flyer program you a member of/want to credit to. What the flight would earn with other ffp's is irrelevant.
Some ffp's are revenue based. Can have different rules for flights not bought on your home airline
I guess my question was not clear. In StarAlliance the operating carrier governs the miles you get. In OneWorld, the marketing carrier governs the miles you get. How is it with Skyteam? I need to know this before I book the ticket so I can make the best choice. For the same fare code, different carriers give VASTLY different miles.

So should I look for the Delta table on the Korean website or should I look for KLM/Virgin tables?
Old Feb 1, 2020, 11:03 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

I guess my question was not clear. In StarAlliance the operating carrier governs the miles you get. In OneWorld, the marketing carrier governs the miles you get. How is it with Skyteam? I need to know this before I book the ticket so I can make the best choice. For the same fare code, different carriers give VASTLY different miles.

So should I look for the Delta table on the Korean website or should I look for KLM/Virgin tables?
So only asking about codeshares? Why book on Delta and not the operating airline direct?
My limited understanding with ST codeshares it as OW (marketing). Would need others to confirm.

Questions about KE ffp better asked in that forum--> https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/korean-air-skypass-621/
sarpotd likes this.

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Feb 1, 2020 at 11:12 pm
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:20 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold

Short answer: Marketing carrier.
Long answer: Both. When the flight is operated by an Skyteam airline the rules of the marketing carrier apply. When the flight is operated by a non-skyteam airline (e.g. VA) then things start to differ. With Flying Blue for example you *would* earn miles if the VA flight has an AF/KL flight number. It would *not* if it has a flight number of any other skyteam carrier like DL, nor with the original VA flight number. With flying blue you always earn according to the codeshare flight number as long as that is AF or KL. With Delta that may work the same (That the VA flight would only earn in SkyMiles if it has a DL code) but that I cannot confirm as I haven't used that programme.
sarpotd likes this.
Old Feb 2, 2020, 2:26 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
For ST, it is the marketing carrier.
sarpotd likes this.

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.