Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Which FF program to use - Delta or KLM

Search this Thread

Old Jan 24, 2018, 8:16 pm
Original Poster

Which FF program to use - Delta or KLM

I am starting a new job and will be traveling from IAH to GUW (Atyrau Kazakhstan) monthly in business class. I will be traveling on KLM / Astana but my miles would be more useful on Delta. Status is a big issue for lounge access and upgrades. I am having some trouble figuring out which frequent flyer program would be the most beneficial to use. Will I acquire "MQD's" for the Delta Medallion program when I fly on KLM? If not, would it be better to enrol in the KLM program to get my status up then use those miles on Delta flight? If you were in the same situation, which program would you use?
I am platinum with United and in that program, the spend requirement for each premier level can only be achieved with purchases on United. Its also difficult to use United miles on partner airlines.

Thanks in advance. I am struggling to put this into words so please let me know if I need to clarify any of this.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:18 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Calmday
I am starting a new job and will be traveling from IAH to GUW (Atyrau Kazakhstan) monthly in business class. I will be traveling on KLM / Astana but my miles would be more useful on Delta. Status is a big issue for lounge access and upgrades.

I am having some trouble figuring out which frequent flyer program would be the most beneficial to use.
Will I acquire "MQD's" for the Delta Medallion program when I fly on KLM?
If not, would it be better to enrol in the KLM program to get my status up then use those miles on Delta flight?
If you were in the same situation, which program would you use?

I am platinum with United and in that program, the spend requirement for each premier level can only be achieved with purchases on United. Its also difficult to use United miles on partner airlines.
Flying business class should get you lounge access.
Generally its only USA airlines that do not give lounge access due to status. But as is the way with ffp there are exceptions

The upgrade philosophy of USA and non USA airlines is very different. With non USA airlines always expect to sit in the class you pay cash for.
Upgrades on partner airlines will be hard to impossible. Check carefully. Cross airlines are not common and if possible can require an expensive base fare (which can at times cost more than a discounted business fare)

For earning to DL on partner airlines look the DL web site & FT DL forum.

Will the flights be on the airline prime flight numbers or DL/?? codeshares
http://www.wheretocredit.com/dl
http://www.wheretocredit.com/klm
http://www.wheretocredit.com/air-astana

Look here Which ST program should I sign up for?

Last edited by Mwenenzi; Jan 24, 2018 at 9:24 pm
Old Jan 24, 2018, 9:53 pm
Original Poster

Thanks for the info
The lounge access and upgrades I mentioned were for personal travel, not When traveling for work on KLM. All work flights will be booked through KLM.
I guess I just need to know if I can get DL status upgrades if I only book KLM flights through KLM and put the miles on DL SkyMiles? I am not able to find anything definitive on their web site. I know that the United program requires you to spend a certain amount on United flights.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 10:38 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

The words " booked through KLM." does mean much/anything.
Flight numbers (marketed) & operating airline matter.
With some ffp who issued the ticket (ticket number) matter.
Old Jan 24, 2018, 11:10 pm
Original Poster

Flights are on KLM. Purchased from KLM. I thought that was assumed but I guess not.
You are an Aussie. Are you familiar with DL SkyMiles or are you just busting my chops? I understand the basics as I said in the first post, I am a Stare Alliance Platinum member. New job requires me to fly on KLM. KLM doesn't have many options to use points from Houston. There are more options to use points on Delta but I'm not familiar with the DL program so just asking the question to someone who knows.
Will I get MQD's on DL if I use my DL SkyMiles account while flying Business class on a KLM flight and the ticket was purchased from KLM?
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
I am starting a new job and will be traveling from IAH to GUW (Atyrau Kazakhstan) monthly in business class. I will be traveling on KLM / Astana but my miles would be more useful on Delta.
In case you are not aware, KLM is axing this route soon.
Old Jan 25, 2018, 1:49 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by Goldorak
A quick look at google flights show IAH AMS is flown by UA, DL, KLM & LH
AMS-GUW by Air Astana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atyrau_Airport
Old Jan 25, 2018, 3:33 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
A quick look at google flights show IAH AMS is flown by UA, DL, KLM & LH
AMS-GUW by Air Astana
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Atyrau_Airport
Sorry, I stand corrected as you are indeed correct. I misinterpreted "I will fly KL / Astana" as "I will fly KL to Astana" (which is possible today but not anymore in a close future). Apologies to OP for the confusion.
Old Jan 26, 2018, 9:09 am

Programs: BA Gold, AirAstana Silver (much use as chocolate teapot)
Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
& a lovely airport it is too!
Old Jan 26, 2018, 10:09 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Which flight is getting axed? The IAH to AMS or the AMS to GUW?
Old Jan 26, 2018, 11:45 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Which flight is getting axed? The IAH to AMS or the AMS to GUW?
AMS to Astana and Almaty on KL, but this not applicable to you (again, sorry, I misread your post).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.