Reload this Page >

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search
Old Nov 6, 2016, 10:26 pm
FlyerTalk Forums Expert How-Tos and Guides
Last edit by: Mwenenzi
If you already plan to focus on one particular alliance, please visit the sticky in the relevant forum: Deciding on a oneworld FFP or Which SkyTeam FFP or Choosing a Star FFP
Common which ffp thread Which Frequent Flyer Program to Join? Help Is Here!
List of frequent flyer programs from Wikipedia

Questionnaire: Copy and paste into your post
Provide the requested information.

1. What is most important to you in a frequent flyer program (FFP)?
upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply:

2. How many miles do you usually fly each year? How many flights/sectors?
less than 25000 miles, 50000+ miles and 20-25 flights, etc.
>>> Reply:

3. What fare class do you usually buy?
first, business, premium economy, economy
>>> Reply:

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply:

5. Which routes do you fly most often?
transatlantic, domestic USA, intra-Asia, etc.
>>> Reply:

6. What is your home airport?
>>> Reply:

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply:

8. What are your preferred airlines, if any?
>>> Reply:
Print Wikipost

Which ST program should I sign up for?

Search this Thread

Old Mar 24, 2016, 11:09 pm
akk

Programs: AC*SE SPGPlat PCPlat HHSilver
Thanks.

While Delta points don't expire, it looks like I will get fewer points from them because it's a Delta-ticketed flight and it looks like Delta is giving points based on spend, rather than distance. Also, from what I'm reading here, Delta's removal of award chart means it's too unpredictable when claiming a reward. Is that true for many?

So that would leave it between Alaska and Flying Blue. Any particular reason to pick one vs other? They both look like they will give me the same points for this trip.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 12:45 pm

Programs: UA Mileage Plus Delta SkyMiles
Looks like I'll be better off on Flying Blue - Amsterdam based, lots of intra Europe short hops - 3x to the US - 2 x India.

Now, I have 4 segments this calendar year booked on SkyMiles. Is there anyway to unbook those and rebook them on a FlyingBlues account.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:07 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Heidi Hasz Heideveld
Now, I have 4 segments this calendar year booked on SkyMiles. Is there anyway to unbook those and rebook them on a FlyingBlues account.
If those flights have not been flown yet, just go in "manage my booking" on Delta website and change the FFP for FB.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 1:15 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
If those flights have not been flown yet, just go in "manage my booking" on Delta website and change the FFP for FB.
There are 4 flown segments.

I have more coming up which I of course will change... was wondering if there was an angle on retroactive flights, 2 in Feb 2016 and 2 in March 2016.
Old Apr 12, 2016, 2:59 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by Heidi Hasz Heideveld
There are 4 flown segments.

I have more coming up which I of course will change... was wondering if there was an angle on retroactive flights, 2 in Feb 2016 and 2 in March 2016.
You can't change already credited flights.
Old Apr 14, 2016, 10:01 pm

KLM suggest I asked customer care. Customer Service already said no.

The 2016 flights already credited to Delta would put me in silver status on Flying Blue. A bit gutted I wasn't earlier on the ball with this one.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 3:23 pm

USA based flyer with no status in any FF program.

I have an upcoming flight and I am trying to decide where to credit.

IAH-DUB-IAH in a mix of Z and J fares on Skyteam carriers.

According to FlyingBlue calculator this round-trip will earn a total of about 16,000 miles. One of the transatlantic segments is Delta so I'm not sure if that changes the equation other than less redeemable miles.

The goal is to gain status in a Skyteam or partner program (or Alaska? Virgin America?) which could then be used to eventually challenge match to another USA program.

If the mileage calculation from the Flyingblue calculator is correct I would need to earn ~9000K more miles to reach 25K which seems to meet lower status in most programs. If I credited to Delta I could also apply for a credit card and get additional MQMs to negate some of the flying requirements.

I searched for a status challenge not requiring existing status for any of the alliances but couldn't find anything so if anyone is aware of one that would be great.

Any other advice would be appreciated.
Old Jul 3, 2016, 6:10 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by dave1975
USA based flyer with no status in any FF program.
I have an upcoming flight and I am trying to decide where to credit.
IAH-DUB-IAH in a mix of Z and J fares on Skyteam carriers.
Status earning & redeemable miles are not the same. Or earned at the same rate
http://www.wheretocredit.com/ (redeemable miles)

You are being a little optimistic in hoping for status from 1 trip.
A status match and status challenge are not the same. Nowadays very few ffp's status match. And then what do you expect status to do for you?

http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/infor...help-here.html
Old Jul 18, 2016, 11:13 pm

Which SkyTeam FFP should I enroll for?

Hi,
I'm a new member of SkyTeam. Should I continue earning miles on Alitalia or should I switch programs?

upgrades, priority services, baggage allowance, good award redemption rates, better award access, lounge access, etc.
>>> Reply: Upgrades (from Economy class) and good award redemption rates.

>>> Reply: About 50,000 miles

>>> Reply: Economy

4. Are you able to choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
>>> Reply: Travel mostly for work -- cannot choose airlines/class and employer prefers Alitalia. Also travel for leisure with family (2 adults +1 child) -- I can choose airline but we normally select cheapest fares on direct flights

>>> Reply: Travel mostly for work -- x4 per year: Tokyo (NRT or HND) to Milan (MXP or LIN). I typically fly Alitalia NRT-MXP and then return on Air France LIN-CDG-HND
For leisure -- fly from Tokyo to Los Angeles once or twice per year

>>> Reply: Tokyo (NRT or HND)

7. Do you have status in any FFP? What is it? How miles do you have banked in each FFP, if any?
>>> Reply: I'm 250 miles away from Alitalia Ulisse, my first time. I also have Premier Silver on United but it expires in September of this year.

>>> Reply: Not really but Air France is much nicer than Alitalia!
Old Jul 19, 2016, 2:02 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Originally Posted by zombieflyer
I'm a new member of SkyTeam. Should I continue earning miles on Alitalia or should I switch programs?
Could you clarify because Skyteam is not a program you can be a member of ?
As you are already a member of miles miglia, you are already enrolled in a FFP program of an airline (AZ) belonging to the Skyteam alliance.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:00 pm

I live in Toronto and mostly fly AirCanada or a StarAlliance member. As such, I don't really fly with SkyTeam airlines very often. However, on a few occasions I have flown with SkyTeam if there's cheap airfare going somewhere (for example, flying with Korean Airlines when going to Asia). I currently have around 18,000 miles with Delta Skymiles. However, I just want to make sure that going forward, if I have to book a flight on a SkyTeam airline, I am putting my miles in the right SkyTeam FFP.

Here are my answers to the questions:

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Miles that don't expire is the most important for me for SkyTeam, since I don't fly ST often enough to get elite status. I would eventually like to be able to redeem the miles for a free flight.

(2) How many miles do you usually fly each year & in what class? How many flights/sectors?
(<25000, 25000-50000, >50000 miles - <25, 25-50, >50 flights?)
<25000 miles, <25 flights

(3) What types of fares do you usually buy ?
(First, Business, Premium economy, Economy, cheapest)
Economy/cheapest

(4) Can you choose your airlines and/or class of service? Do you travel for work and/or pleasure?
Yes, I travel for pleasure so I can choose airlines, although I usually just book the cheapest flight available.

(5) Which routes do you fly most often
(US Domestic, Transpacific, Kangaroo, in Asia etc)
Each year, I usually do one round trip from Toronto to Asia or Europe (often multiple destination trips, as I will fly in one city and out of another), and then one round trip from Toronto to the Caribbean or the southern US, and then 2-3 round trip short flights from Toronto to US cities within 2 hours of Toronto.

(6) What is your home airport?
(SFO, SCL, London LHR, HKG, Singapore SIN etc.)
YYZ (Toronto Pearson)

(7) Do you have FFP status of any kind in an airline? What is it? Do you have any miles banked in a FFP?
(AA Executive Platinum, UA 1K, LAN Comodoro, etc)
I don't have FFP status. I just have an Aeroplan membership (that's where most of my miles are), AsiaMiles membership (I used to use this for my Oneworld miles but I have redeemed them all recently and am planning on replacing this with a different Oneworld FFP because the AsiaMiles expire too quickly) and DeltaSkymiles (as mentioned before). I also have some miles with Porter but it's not a part of an airline alliance anyway.

(8) Preferred Airlines
Air Canada in general because of where I live, but I don't really have a preference.
Old Jul 20, 2016, 7:40 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Originally Posted by londonHK
I live in Toronto and mostly fly Air Canada or a Star Alliance member. As such, I don't really fly with SkyTeam airlines very often. However, on a few occasions I have flown with SkyTeam if there's cheap airfare going somewhere (for example, flying with Korean Airlines when going to Asia). I currently have around 18,000 miles with Delta Skymiles. However, I just want to make sure that going forward, if I have to book a flight on a SkyTeam airline, I am putting my miles in the right SkyTeam FFP.

Here are my answers to the questions:

(1) What is most important to you in a FFP?
Miles that don't expire is the most important for me for SkyTeam, since I don't fly ST often enough to get elite status. I would eventually like to be able to redeem the miles for a free flight.
The miles in most ffp's expire. Delta mile do not expire.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html

Airlines have alliance and non alliance partners. http://www.wheretocredit.com/

Awards in most ffp's are a long way from free. All have taxes and some have cash surcharges.
Old Jul 21, 2016, 7:52 am

Originally Posted by Mwenenzi
The miles in most ffp's expire. Delta mile do not expire.
http://www.flyertalk.com/forum/miles...-t-expire.html

Airlines have alliance and non alliance partners. http://www.wheretocredit.com/

Awards in most ffp's are a long way from free. All have taxes and some have cash surcharges.
Yes, I already know all of the above. That's not what I was asking.
Old Jul 24, 2016, 10:01 pm

Originally Posted by Goldorak
Could you clarify because Skyteam is not a program you can be a member of ?
As you are already a member of miles miglia, you are already enrolled in a FFP program of an airline (AZ) belonging to the Skyteam alliance.

Right! I'm a member of Alitalia's miles miglia. Should I continue earning miles on Alitalia or should I switch programs?

Hi,

>>> Reply: Upgrades (from Economy class) and good award redemption rates.

>>> Reply: About 50,000 miles

>>> Reply: Economy

>>> Reply: Travel mostly for work -- cannot choose airlines/class and employer prefers Alitalia. Also travel for leisure with family (2 adults +1 child) -- I can choose airline but we normally select cheapest fares on direct flights

>>> Reply: Travel mostly for work -- x4 per year: Tokyo (NRT or HND) to Milan (MXP or LIN). I typically fly Alitalia NRT-MXP and then return on Air France LIN-CDG-HND
For leisure -- fly from Tokyo to Los Angeles once or twice per year

>>> Reply: Tokyo (NRT or HND)

>>> Reply: I'm 250 miles away from Alitalia Ulisse, my first time. I also have Premier Silver on United but it expires in September of this year.

>>> Reply: Not really but Air France is much nicer than Alitalia!
Old Jul 25, 2016, 11:54 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Right! I'm a member of Alitalia's miles miglia. Should I continue earning miles on Alitalia or should I switch programs?
It's always hard to say, but I would tend to say to not bother changing program. Stay with AZ.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.