Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help Wanted: LAX-ICN-HNL-LAX

Search this Thread

Old Dec 7, 2013, 9:10 pm
Original Poster

Hoping to travel LAX-ICN-HNL-LAX in April 2014 using a combination of Delta SkyMiles, Amex MR, Chase UR and SPG Starpoints. Here's what we have:

Delta SkyMiles: 94,000
Amex MR: 200,000
Chase UR: 200,000
SPG Starpoints: 70,000

Would appreciate any advice on best way to redeem these miles/points for three business class tickets. Thanks!
Old Dec 8, 2013, 12:42 am

Edit.... Opps lol
Old Dec 8, 2013, 8:31 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: DL 1 million, AA 1 mil, HH lapsed Diamond, Marriott Plat
Welcome to FlyerTalk.

What you request is not beginner-level work. Let me suggest you task a reward booking service if convoluted routings will be dismissed. Even if you miss the nearly five months worth of Korean Air blackout dates (with a KE or Delta redemption) for LAX-ICN and ICN-HNL, and the paucity of saver awards premium cabin Hawaii/international travel on Delta, your point balances being spread out mean multiple redemption transactions across programs. The degree of difficulty on this is very, very high.

Last edited by 3Cforme; Dec 10, 2013 at 8:00 am
Old Dec 9, 2013, 11:25 pm

Programs: AF/KL FB Plat 4L, VA Vel Silver, BA EC, LH M&M
In principle, you can go about it as follows (assuming you want to have direct routing):

1. Look up on the wikipedia- websites of the airports what airlines go there and compile a list of potential airlines for each of the 3 legs.
2. Look up the flight schedule of these airlines to double-check if they really fly there in April and on what dates. Eliminate airlines from your list accordingly.
3. Look up the FFP of each of these airlines and find out what their airline partners are.
4. From 1. and 3. you have a list of FFPs that might be relevant for you (as airline partnership is typically a reciprocal matter for FFPs). Delete from this list all FFPs that don't accept your credit card / hotel points.
5a. Now call all remaining FFPs and ask for award availability on the flights you have identified (or use the internet, if possible).
5b. Identify feasible combinations of flights/FFPs in the sense that not all FFPs allow one-way flights (on all or a subset of their airline partners) or open-jaw or circle-trips.
6. Among all available flights, choose the cheapest combination of flights (in terms of points); factor in here that different FFPs might have differrent exchange rates for your points.
7. Transfer your points to the chosen programs and book (and hope that availability is still there when the transfer is completed).

Remark: depending on what the situation looks like after step 4, it might make sense to carry out steps 5a and 5b simultaneously, or 5b before 5a (in order to save time by narrowing things down).

So you see there is quite some research required and, depending on how much time you have, you might wish to ask an expert to do it on your behalf. (I love sorting out questions of this type for myself, but I also know that this would take me a couple of days. It's a bit like a hobby for me.)

Last edited by cityflyer369; Dec 9, 2013 at 11:37 pm

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.