Search

Kenya Airways from CDG/AMS to NBO

Search this Thread

Old Dec 13, 2012, 6:29 pm
Original Poster

Kenya Airways from CDG/AMS to NBO

I have the option of flying AMS-NBO on a 747-400 or CDG-NBO on a 767-300

What should I do?

Anything else (timing, lounges, connection at airport) is irrelevent, I want to decide purely on the quality of the airplane experience.
Old Dec 13, 2012, 10:59 pm

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
You didn't mention what class? Economy or Business?

For economy, not much difference it seems. KQ doesn't fly a 744, so the flight you're looking at must be a KL codeshare. The KQ 763 from CDG only has 1 inch more in terms of seat pitch so no difference, however I tend to prefer the 763 if traveling with a companion due to the 2-3-2 seating.

If you're talking business class, then that's a totally different story. I haven't flown in them, but KQs new seats look nice and I would choose them over the old KL WBC seats anyday.
Old Dec 14, 2012, 4:58 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by dvs7310
You didn't mention what class? Economy or Business?

For economy, not much difference it seems. KQ doesn't fly a 744, so the flight you're looking at must be a KL codeshare. The KQ 763 from CDG only has 1 inch more in terms of seat pitch so no difference, however I tend to prefer the 763 if traveling with a companion due to the 2-3-2 seating.

If you're talking business class, then that's a totally different story. I haven't flown in them, but KQs new seats look nice and I would choose them over the old KL WBC seats anyday.
Sorry for the omission, :-) Economy it is
Old Dec 15, 2012, 6:30 am

Programs: AA EXP, NH Plat, Former UA 1K
Sounds like it's pretty much a flip of a coin. No huge difference. Is CDG or AMS closer to where you're coming from or is it a connecting flight? Which one is a more convenient schedule?

I personally would take KQ if all other points were equal, smaller plane and likely far fewer people to deal with at immigration if you end up near the back of the plane.
Old Dec 15, 2012, 10:13 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
KQ might be fun just to experience a different and less usual airline. However I would strongly prefer to connect through AMS rather than CDG, so for me this would be the deciding factor.
Old Dec 22, 2012, 7:52 am

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by mahme
I have the option of flying AMS-NBO on a 747-400 or CDG-NBO on a 767-300
What should I do?
Originally Posted by mahme
Economy it is
As others have noted, it seems you are talking about a KLM-metal 747-400 from AMS, or a KQ-metal 767-300ER from CDG (both of which are daytime flights, in that direction).

There is a recent discussion of KQ and KLM in Business in this thread: Kenya Airways Premier World Business Class: Information, some of which (eg: IFE) is also relevant in economy.

Briefly:
- Seat pitch: I think (although I can't immediately confirm) that KQ has an inch or so more than KLM in regular Y, although these days KLM also has the Economy Comfort option, which has even more.
- Seat arrangements: KQ's 763 is 2-3-2, while the KL 747 is 3-4-3.
- IFE: KLM has full AVOD with a wide selection of movies, while the KQ 763 only has PTV, with about 12-16 channels running concurrently
- Catering: I normally take the overnight flights, so I'm not sure what the daytime offering is on these routes.

Originally Posted by dvs7310
I personally would take KQ if all other points were equal, smaller plane and likely far fewer people to deal with at immigration if you end up near the back of the plane.
I'm not sure that needs to be a deciding factor. It seems KLM sometimes use a 747-combi on the AMS-NBO route (although it appears to be timetabled as a full 747 currently), which I think has roughly the same number of pax as a KQ 763. And even on a full 747, quite a few people will be connecting to other flights, so a bigger question is probably whether other long-haul flights have just deposited arriving pax in NBO at the same time...

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.