Wiki Posts
Search

FB Member - Will I get miles for flying Alitalia

Search this Thread

Old May 15, 2012, 11:35 pm
Original Poster

Question FB Member - Will I get miles for flying Alitalia

Hello all,
I'm a "Flying Blue" Member for few years now. And it has a while since my last visit in Italy. Will I get miles for flying with Alitalia?

What is the relationship between "Flying Blue" and "Sky Team"? (I'm I a member of Sky Team also ...?)

Thanks,
Daniel
Old May 16, 2012, 12:08 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
SkyTeam is the alliance that includes AF, KLM, DL, Alitalia, Korean, etc.

Flying Blue is the FF program of AF/KLM.

SkyMiles is the FF program of DL

Assuming that you have a fare class that earns miles (on Flying Blue if that is your FF program) you will get miles for Alitalia flights. (The answer becomes more complicated if these are codeshares or partner flights.)
Old May 16, 2012, 12:20 am

Programs: Delta Silver, HH Gold, Accor Gold, IHG Platinum
FB Member - Will I get miles for flying Alitalia

What is the route, fareclass and flightnumber on your ticket?
Old May 16, 2012, 1:56 am

Programs: BA Silver; HHonors Gold; SPG Gold; Points but dirt with everyone else
Originally Posted by Danimmm
Hello all,
I'm a "Flying Blue" Member for few years now. And it has a while since my last visit in Italy. Will I get miles for flying with Alitalia?

What is the relationship between "Flying Blue" and "Sky Team"? (I'm I a member of Sky Team also ...?)

Thanks,
Daniel
It is not possible for a person to be a member of SkyTeam. Only airlines can claim that, so it's unclear what you meant.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:40 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Any miles that are earned in Flying Blue on Alitalia flights are governed according to the following information on the FB website.

You need to carefully check the exact class code of your flights - as you can see, depending on the class of your ticket, you may end up only earning 25% or 50% of the distance flown in economy.

I am almost certain that all possible classes on Alitalia earn something in Flying Blue - but if your fare class is not on the list, it means you earn no miles in Flying Blue

Note that any Alitalia flights that you may have booked under a non-Skyteam codeshare flight number will not earn anything (for instance, taking an Alitalia-operated flight booked under an Etihad (EY) codeshare number would earn you nothing in Flying Blue).

Note also that you may have to manually retro-claim flights made on Alitalia - they often do not post automatically to your Flying Blue account. Keep all boarding passes and e-ticket numbers, as you may end up having to send them to Flying Blue to get credit for the flights taken.
Old May 16, 2012, 3:48 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: KL Platinum; A3 Gold
Originally Posted by mtkeller
It is not possible for a person to be a member of SkyTeam. Only airlines can claim that, so it's unclear what you meant.
If you have status in Flying Blue, then that maps to an equivalent SkyTeam status - meaning that any of the other SkyTeam airlines would recognise your status.

Flying Blue Ivory grants you no particular benefits.
Flying Blue Silver maps to the level of "SkyTeam Elite", and Alitalia (as all SkyTeam member airlines must) will therefore grant you the set of benefits associated with SkyTeam Elite status.
Flying Blue Gold and Flying Blue Platinum both map to the level of "SkyTeam Elite Plus", and Alitalia (as all SkyTeam member airlines must) will therefore grant you the set of benefits associated with SkyTeam Elite Plus status.

You can find more details of this on the SkyTeam website:
http://www.skyteam.com/en/Why-SkyTea...kyTeam-Status/
Old May 16, 2012, 11:07 am
Moderator: Aegean Miles+Bonus

Programs: AFKL Plat, A3 Gold
Technically speaking SkyTeam only has Airline members.

A FF program, like Flying Blue, has individuals as members. Flying Blue is (being an SkyTeam member) authorized to offer a Skyteam status level to its members. But Flying Blue is the one holding the member profile - not Skyteam.

Its confusing and often misused. Somebody is member of an Airline FFP, which may have a Skyteam status. So there is no such thing as a Skyteam Elite member - At most there is a Flying Blue member with Skyteam Elite privileges.

Anyway, details details..and in no way helping the OP so I am going to shut up
Old Nov 28, 2016, 10:24 pm

Programs: FB-PFL / MH-G / QF-S
Originally Posted by irishguy28

Note that any Alitalia flights that you may have booked under a non-Skyteam codeshare flight number will not earn anything (for instance, taking an Alitalia-operated flight booked under an Etihad (EY) codeshare number would earn you nothing in Flying Blue).
Hello, just a small request for clarification as the rules do not seem to be that clear to me. If I travel in C on tickets purchased (marketed) from Alitalia as AZ327, AZ7040 & AZ5710, can I get miles for all sectors? It is clear for the first one but for the two flights operated by Etihad (even though on a ticket purchased under AZ) I cannot make out if I would earn miles at all or not. The flight numbers do not appear to be in the list of those that do not earn miles...

https://www.flyingblue.com/earn-and-.../alitalia.html

The explanation clearly mentions which flights are eligible and which are not except they do not mention that flights operated by EY and marketed by AZ do not earn miles.

Last edited by greggyfroggy; Nov 28, 2016 at 10:30 pm
Old Nov 29, 2016, 12:17 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by greggyfroggy
Hello, just a small request for clarification as the rules do not seem to be that clear to me. If I travel in C on tickets purchased (marketed) from Alitalia as AZ327, AZ7040 & AZ5710, can I get miles for all sectors? It is clear for the first one but for the two flights operated by Etihad (even though on a ticket purchased under AZ) I cannot make out if I would earn miles at all or not. The flight numbers do not appear to be in the list of those that do not earn miles...

https://www.flyingblue.com/earn-and-.../alitalia.html

The explanation clearly mentions which flights are eligible and which are not except they do not mention that flights operated by EY and marketed by AZ do not earn miles.
if you want to credit to FB, then no miles for the EY-operated flights.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.