Community
Wiki Posts
Search

ST RTW Planner finally in use!!

Search this Thread

Old Sep 27, 2011, 1:06 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Accor 25+ Badge

Programs: AF/KL Flying Blue Platinum for life/Club2000 Ultimate, Accor ALL Diamond
Originally Posted by milesaddict
Beside the first leg will be with KQ, AF can take care of it, right ?
I'm sure they can
Old Sep 28, 2011, 6:19 pm

Silverlight
Old Oct 3, 2011, 6:23 am

Programs: UA Prem Plat, CX MPC Silver, CI Dynasty Gold; HHonors Gold, Marriott Gold, SPG, IHG Ambassador
Originally Posted by Jayz_004
So I guess the RTW planner is finally in use! Kinda excited~ Will play with it for a bit and see how good it is! Anyways, good news for us ST folks~

http://www.skyteam.com/en/your-trip/...orld-Planner/#
As I'm planning a RTW trip for January 2012, I tried it and also played with the RTW tools of the other two alliances. I must say they're similar but the ST tool is better. ^
Old Oct 7, 2011, 7:18 am

Location: hopefully somewhere interesting, just moved from CMB to CAI
Programs: AAdvantage, Etihad Guest, Qatar Privilege Club
up to 30% discount on RTW... but from where?

Yesterday ST launched a promotion with up to 30% off RTW fares but, as others have already pointed out, the online planner doesn't give fare information and, with this new offer ranging from 10 to 30% off depending on point of origin, I can see no info anywhere as to which origins are getting the biggest discounts.

Obviously the exact price changes with the route because of taxes and surcharges etc., but from what I recall over the last few years ST has *never* published a list of the base fare from each origin so you don't even an idea of whether it's cheap or not. The last time I tried booking something with ST it was 26,000 origin CAI and I went into the CAI office in Cairo, relevant person wasn't there, managed to get an email but after sending them my carefully worked out itinerary was eventually told that 26,000 mile itinerary isn't available starting in CAI... and yet that information doesn't appear to be published anywhere either

It just seems to me that ST want to make it as difficult as possible for me to find out even what ticket is available for sale, let alone what price it is, and thus they (sadly, because I quite like a number of their individual carriers) lose my business...
Old Oct 8, 2011, 10:12 am

Programs: Delta Kryptonium-Platinum Medallion, Hyatt/Hilton Diamond
Wow just found out about this!

Will definitely give it a whirl and see how it goes! Thanks for the info!
Old Oct 17, 2011, 6:19 am

Programs: Starwood life Plt, AA Gold.,Delta . ,Priority Plat,IC Ambassador
Is it me?

Greetings:

I have been playing with the new RTW tool......can't get it to show me anything??? Is it me, is it the tool, yes/no/maybe?

Thanks,
Old Oct 18, 2011, 9:37 am

Programs: AA EXP, TG GLD
Can't wait to try this out, now that so many carriers are joining skyteam!
Old Oct 25, 2011, 4:16 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
I used the promotion for an upcoming trip AMS-LAX-LAS-LAX-ICN-DXB-AMS in December in C (or rather Z). Fare is 4999 euros, maximum of 15 segments and 24K miles. US Segments booked in Y with upgrade requested.

it took almost 10 days elapsed and 3 callbacks with KLM to get the booking made.
Old Oct 29, 2011, 11:00 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Originally Posted by Jayz_004
So I guess the RTW planner is finally in use! Kinda excited~ Will play with it for a bit and see how good it is! Anyways, good news for us ST folks~

http://www.skyteam.com/en/your-trip/...orld-Planner/#

this application was made with an extra serving of failsauce.

Old Nov 3, 2011, 12:09 am
Original Poster

Programs: AS MVPG, AA P, A3 G, MU Gold, HH G, Marriott P
Originally Posted by COFF-Platinum
I used the promotion for an upcoming trip AMS-LAX-LAS-LAX-ICN-DXB-AMS in December in C (or rather Z). Fare is 4999 euros, maximum of 15 segments and 24K miles. US Segments booked in Y with upgrade requested.

it took almost 10 days elapsed and 3 callbacks with KLM to get the booking made.
Wait, I thought the promotion only allowed 5 stops, or am I confused with something else?
Old Nov 3, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: FB LTPE, hhonors diamond, hertz 5*, Thalysthecard Platinium, A-club Silver, IHG Platinum
Possible. The stops in LAX are connections and not stop-overs. She did mention 15 segments to me when I enquired about conditions.
Old Nov 3, 2011, 11:01 am

Location: MSP (Mahtomedi, MN, USA) - Delta hub captive, Marriott Gold, US Mint Silver, CVS Red
Programs: "We've been starving, and sitting on a ham sandwich the whole time."
Thumbs down

Why does it show dots on the map that are not valid stops?

Well, I finally got it to produce some result. Even though I had to pick specific dates and flights, it can't be bothered to give me an exact or at least ballpark price? If it was a different of $5,000 or $10,000 or $15,000 depending on days and flights a lot of people might be inclined to take that 6am flight on tuesday instead of the 3pm flight on wednesday, etc.

Last edited by wbl-mn-flyer; Nov 3, 2011 at 11:17 am
Old Nov 3, 2011, 2:25 pm

Programs: FB Platinum for Life
Originally Posted by wbl-mn-flyer
Even though I had to pick specific dates and flights, it can't be bothered to give me an exact or at least ballpark price? If it was a different of $5,000 or $10,000 or $15,000 depending on days and flights a lot of people might be inclined to take that 6am flight on tuesday instead of the 3pm flight on wednesday, etc.
AFAIK, Skyteam RTW fares don't vary depending on days/flights. The fare is a fixed amount, according to a) country of departure, and b) maximum total mileage (eg: 24,000 miles, for the special promotion). The RTW fare maps into a specific fare-class (which varies from airline to airline), and then either that fare-bucket is available on the day/flight you want (in which case you get the RTW ticket at the listed price), or it isn't (and you can't get the ticket at all).

For example, suppose you want to fly SVO to IST on SU, and the Skyteam RTW fare-class in economy on SU is, say, Q. So, if the Q fare-bucket is available, you can get the ticket; and if it isn't, you can't (even if higher fare-buckets are available). The same applies for all segments in the itinerary - if they are all available in the appropriate fare-class, you can get the ticket; if any one isn't, then you can't.

At least, this is how it used to work (Skyteam RTW publication from June 2008). It seems Skyteam no longer publish the fare rules for their RTW tickets, so it's difficult to know for sure...
Old Nov 18, 2011, 7:16 am

Programs: DL Skymiles
I used the Skyteam tool (yes, it sucks) to plan this route at the 24,000 mile tier, which is the lowest and therefore least expensive mileage tier: ATL-LOS(connection only)-NBO-BKK-NRT-HON-LAX-ATL. As others here have experienced, despite saving the itinerary AND emailing it per the instructions, when I called Skyteam they couldn't find any record of it. But they helped reconstruct it. Anyway, the end result was a quote for US$3799.37 in Economy. What do you people think? Seems like a good deal to me.

An incidental question that I cross-posted over on the credit card branch: If I book this through Skyteam on my Delta AMEX Gold, would I get double miles the same way I would on a ticket booked directly from Delta? (It's not possible to book the Skyteam RTW ticket directly through DL--when I called DL, they transferred me to Skyteam.)

By way of background, our original plans involved only Nairobi and Bangkok, but once we priced out some tickets from Atlanta we figured we should look into a RTW. I've never been to Japan, so maybe now is the time to spend a few days in Tokyo and then relax in Hawaii before returning home.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.