Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Zurich Sixt false claim of damage

Search this Thread

Old Sep 26, 2022, 5:42 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
I’m dealing with this from Sixt in Menorca right now. They sent the worst pics where it was taken at 2am with a light’s reflection. Assured there was no issue, I left the car and now they want €115 for damages. If they charge my card I’ll charge it back and force them to justify it.

While I could claim it on my credit card insurance there’s principal behind it and if there’s one person who I can convince not to rent from Sixt in Spain, its already cost them more.

I will never rent from them again. Anywhere. Already passed them up for another rental in the Caribbean in December.
Auto Enthusiast likes this.
Old Sep 28, 2022, 7:38 am

Programs: AAdvantage Gold, National Executive, Hilton Honors Gold, Bonvoy Gold
Originally Posted by civicmon
I’m dealing with this from Sixt in Menorca right now. They sent the worst pics where it was taken at 2am with a light’s reflection. Assured there was no issue, I left the car and now they want €115 for damages. If they charge my card I’ll charge it back and force them to justify it.

While I could claim it on my credit card insurance there’s principal behind it and if there’s one person who I can convince not to rent from Sixt in Spain, its already cost them more.

I will never rent from them again. Anywhere. Already passed them up for another rental in the Caribbean in December.
I'm confused about the 2 am pictures and the assurance of no damage. Did you take pictures or did they? If they have poor quality pictures and you have none, I don't see how you're going to be able to prove you didn't cause the damage.
Old Sep 30, 2022, 1:35 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: aa/ua gold; mar titanium. SPG till I die.
Originally Posted by LBBflyer
I'm confused about the 2 am pictures and the assurance of no damage. Did you take pictures or did they? If they have poor quality pictures and you have none, I don't see how you're going to be able to prove you didn't cause the damage.
The after photos were awful. Imagine those drunk photos from college where you really don't remember what the point of the pic was? It's that bad.

In any event, they dropped it as a "goodwill measure" instead of sending me better damage pics. I'll still never recommend them in any case.
Old Oct 2, 2022, 3:40 pm

Sixt is getting annoying to deal with and after this last trip I’m dumping in the trash. Picked up from GVA and the car had a .... ton of damage. Noticed more damaged on the car outside of the parking garage about 30 mins later in day light. Luckily you do see it on the video I took including the underside

it’s getting really annoying reading how bad Sixt is and how you really need to almost get the car on a lift to inspect
Ordpc likes this.
Old Nov 11, 2022, 11:56 am

SIXT have been this trash for years. It's nothing new. We just can't resist the temptation of the low rates and very nice cars I guess ;-) It's clearly their business model to recoup what they should have charged for the rental via other means
Old Nov 11, 2022, 12:13 pm

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
Sixt's rates aren't the lowest anymore.. LDAR (Luxury Class) from Avis was only $700 for two weeks while it was $1,200 thru Sixt. Then again, Avis would have an E220 or an under-powered car while I usually got the BMW 535d or Benz E300 CDI from Sixt.

Another reason I prefer Sixt is because it's the ONLY car rental company that allows me to drive Luxury vehicles in Eastern Europe (Poland and Czechia). I had fun with the 245hp V-6 TDi, driving all over Germany then to Prague and back!
Old Jun 23, 2023, 9:30 am

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
Picked up a car from Sixt Salzburg Downtown and returned to Vienna Airport. They have sent a demand letter for 1.8K euros for some scratches they purport were caused by me. I have both pre-pickup and post-return pics, which do not show these scratches. Sixt refuses to budge when pics were shared. How have people fought this off from experience? And how does Sixt escalate this? Thanks.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 10:45 am

Originally Posted by deltrave
Picked up a car from Sixt Salzburg Downtown and returned to Vienna Airport. They have sent a demand letter for 1.8K euros for some scratches they purport were caused by me. I have both pre-pickup and post-return pics, which do not show these scratches. Sixt refuses to budge when pics were shared. How have people fought this off from experience? And how does Sixt escalate this? Thanks.
it might be time to get your credit card company involved.
LBBflyer likes this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 11:48 am

Programs: Sixt Platinum, Avis Preferred Plus, Hertz President's Circle, Hilton Diamond
I was going to suggest paying it then disputing it but then again paying it would imply you're admitting to it. I am surprised they didn't go ahead and charge you, if they did, then you can dispute that with the credit card company.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 12:01 pm

Originally Posted by Wiggums
I was going to suggest paying it then disputing it but then again paying it would imply you're admitting to it. I am surprised they didn't go ahead and charge you, if they did, then you can dispute that with the credit card company.
Sixt is a strange company. My stepsister wrote off a BMW 420i a few years ago in the UK. They buried her in legal paper work written in German sent by FedEx to Canada. My dad got his CC company involved as she was an authorised user on his account and still covered under insurance. It was found that Sixt had violated their own T&Cs by renting out that vehicle to someone under 25. Because of that she didn’t have to pay a dime, not even the deductible. She was due to get a Hyundai i10 or something but after waiting they decided to upgrade her to the BMW.. first trip abroad, first time driving on the other side and wrote the car off in a few hours
Wiggums and Auto Enthusiast like this.
Old Jun 23, 2023, 1:29 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by SBYGUY
it might be time to get your credit card company involved.
I don’t think they will charge the card. They will just blacklist and sell damage claim off to a local-to-renter collection agency.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 2:26 pm

Programs: AA EXP; 1W Emerald; HHonors Diamond; Marriott Gold; UA dirt
So how long does it take for Sixt to get on a "claim". My niece was driving a Sixt vehicle in Italy when a bicyclist rubbed up against it - the biker took off.

There was no damage to the metal but the handlebar and tire left a nice surface line of black rubber along the front quarter panel. Niece went to the Italian version of Home Depot and got the Italian version of Goof Off and a car touch up pen. A photograph of the mark that she sent to me was basically gone.

Did she luck out or is she going to get a letter 3 months from now from Sixt. She returned the car to Milan about 3 (July 4) weeks ago.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 5:50 pm

Programs: DL LOL, Mosaic, UAL Silver, MR Titanium
Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Did she luck out or is she going to get a letter 3 months from now from Sixt. She returned the car to Milan about 3 (July 4) weeks ago.
It was about 3 weeks for me to hear from the depot in Geneva.
Old Jul 29, 2023, 8:52 pm

Originally Posted by IADCAflyer
Odds are she lucked out.
Old Oct 29, 2023, 4:06 pm

Programs: Marriott Lifetime Plat, HH Diamond
So Sixt initially refused and whenever asked for the money stating I am still responsible, I replied the same. Finally I stated I won't pay for these made-up charges and they did back off asking for the same pics I sent in the first place and acknowledging that I don't owe them anything.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.