Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Sixt in the Balkans

Search this Thread

Old Apr 10, 2020, 2:22 pm
Original Poster

Sixt in the Balkans

Looking to rent a car for an eventual roadtrip in the Balkans to countries such as Serbia, Montenegro, Bosnia, Croatia, Slovenia as well as Bulgaria and Romania. Does anyone have experience with going crossborder with Sixt in these countries?

The best price and policies seem to be for Sixt in Zagreb and Ljubljana. However, the website says that crossborder travel must be approved by the local Sixt office. Is this a sure thing or will it be a hassle? Thanks.
Old Apr 14, 2020, 8:19 am

Programs: Aeroplan 50K/Star Alliance Gold, Accor Gold, base level Marriott/Hyatt/Hilton
First off, nice to see a fellow Canadian here

I've gone between Croatia and BiH without any issue. Make sure you let them know where you plan to go. Do remember that passing through the Neum area (BiH town near Dubrovnik) may incur an additional surcharge.

Enjoy - if you need any recommendations for hotels or restaurants in Croatia, send me a PM!
Old May 18, 2020, 10:44 pm

Programs: FB Gold Privilege
Not sure about Sixt exactly since I have never used them in Bulgaria.
Unfortunately companies in Bulgaria try to milk you for money. You need the car's green card to cross the border. It needs to be requested in advance and they charge EUR10-whatever they feel like per day. Guess what? The green card comes free for every car with insurance in Bulgaria.
Feel free to email them, some companies do let you use the green card for free but you have to do your homework.
Old Mar 27, 2021, 10:52 pm

A mate and I rented a car from Sixt in Belgrade, Serbia and drove no issues through Bulgaria, back through Serbia, through Montenegro, through Croatia, through Bosnia & Herzegovina and then finally back to Serbia to drop it off. We didn't have issues at any of the borders and I don't recall us having any special paperwork in particular.
Old Mar 29, 2021, 11:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

A few years back sixt ljublijana had an explicit restriction on crossing border to croatia

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.