Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Two levels of Sixt Platinum: one with upgrades/one without

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Apr 5, 2016, 7:22 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

So a Sixt rep confirmed to me today there are two types of Platinum member. One who gets single category upgrades and one who gets diddly squat.

To be frank, I couldn't believe it, but he was deadly serious. He said the change was made a year ago. Is this news to only me?

Only in the US does Sixt have any fleet advantage but even I have perceived this as eroding fast. I don't like to get a "50 cent car" from Hertz as an upgrade.

Mrs Sixt has really lost the plot. Most of the time in Europe I can book a M or G category at Hertz for much cheaper than Sixt. And there was post about a US station manager being told to flout local laws .
Old Apr 5, 2016, 9:45 am

Programs: DL PM, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC, National Exec
Originally Posted by hugolover
So a Sixt rep confirmed to me today there are two types of Platinum member. One who gets single category upgrades and one who gets diddly squat.

To be frank, I couldn't believe it, but he was deadly serious. He said the change was made a year ago. Is this news to only me?
I haven't heard anything to this effect. How do you know this station manager wasn't just talking out of his posterior?
Old Apr 5, 2016, 11:23 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Originally Posted by cestmoi123
I haven't heard anything to this effect. How do you know this station manager wasn't just talking out of his posterior?
Because what I have been told about Sixt's ops has been true so far.

The Plat upgrades are rubbish lets not hide from that. They seem to mainly be up-sell discounts.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 12:50 am

Programs: Hertz PC, Sixt Platinum, Eurobonus Diamond
Sixt Customer Service here in Sweden confirmed the same thing to me too. That there are two types of platinum, one with upgrades and one without. He was quick to mention both give a discount though.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:31 am
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
This has been true for at least since 2014 if not earlier and is in the terms and conditions for Sixt Platinum. Basically you need to keep a minimum number of rental during the past rolling 12 months to keep the upgrade privilege. Refer to post #3 in the following thread.

In US, the upgrade is 2-class. Outside the US, it is 1-class. The number of rentals you need to maintain for the upgrade privilege also depends on whether you are US based or not.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 10:52 am

Originally Posted by seawolf
This has been true for at least since 2014 if not earlier and is in the terms and conditions for Sixt Platinum. Basically you need to keep a minimum number of rental during the past rolling 12 months to keep the upgrade privilege. Refer to post #3 in the following thread.

In US, the upgrade is 2-class. Outside the US, it is 1-class. The number of rentals you need to maintain for the upgrade privilege also depends on whether you are US based or not.
It's in the ToS (10 rentals), but as I read those terms, you need 10 rentals in a given year to get Platinum at all, and if you don't have them, you lose Platinum. Is is structured such that, if you get Platinum, you keep it regardless of your rental activity, but only the upgrade benefit disappears if your rental activity drops?
Old Apr 6, 2016, 6:17 pm
Original Member

There's really not much to Platinum other than the upgrade and the "discounted" rate. If you don't meet the rolling 12 month qualification, the only thing you lose is the upgrade benefit.
Old Apr 6, 2016, 9:01 pm
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat

So what happens if you already have an X level car with the 2-class upgrade?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 6:43 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by t1c
So what happens if you already have an X level car with the 2-class upgrade?
Please rephrase. Not following your question.
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:29 am
t1c

Programs: AMEX, Ritz LT-Plat Prem, Hyatt Plat, SPG Plat, Hilton Diamond, Delta Plat, United Gold, Sixt Plat
Please rephrase. Not following your question.
If I book a X-level car(The highest class there is), what happens to my 2 class upgrade?
Old Apr 7, 2016, 11:53 am

Originally Posted by t1c
If I book a X-level car(The highest class there is), what happens to my 2 class upgrade?
Presumably, nothing. Even if you're Hyatt UltraSpecialTop10GlobalCustomerDiamond, if you book the presidential suite at a given hotel, that's what you're going to get, there's nothing to upgrade you to.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 7:22 am

That sucks. What is even the point of Platinum (via a World Elite Mastercard) then?
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:00 am
Original Member

Originally Posted by ENOTTY
That sucks. What is even the point of Platinum (via a World Elite Mastercard) then?
Just like any other program whether it be airline, hotel etc, you need to requalify annually to maintain benefits.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 10:21 am

Just like any other program whether it be airline, hotel etc, you need to requalify annually to maintain benefits.
That's true, but the weird thing here is that one can be "Platinum" without really being Platinum. I've never heard of a situation before where it was possible to retain a given service tier, but not actually get the full benefits of that tier.

I would presume this is Sixt's way of offering "Platinum" status to certain credit card holders, without actually offering them the full benefits of being Platinum.

That contrasts with, for example, the SPG Gold status that Amex Platinum provides, which is just SPG Gold status, with the same benefits offered as for somebody who earns it through staying nights.
Old Apr 11, 2016, 2:55 pm
Original Member

Agree that Sixt could do a better job communicating Platinum with/without upgrade. Might as well call it a separate tier.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.