Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Damage to hire car that I absolutely did not cause - Sixt trying to charge me.

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Mar 25, 2015, 11:59 am
Suspended

Programs: UA US CO AA DL FL
Doesn't help on leisure travel, but when I need a rental, I do it through our corporate TA. One of the services they perform is dealing with this stuff. First, it's off my plate. Second, they've got a lot more market clout and can reach people in sales who don't take routine consumer calls.
Old Aug 5, 2015, 12:47 pm

This is starting to look like Sixt's regular policy!

I took a car for the weekend in Manchester, and i KNOW that it wasn't damaged during the hire. but now they are charging me £85 for an alleged scratch in the wheel's cover! This is not a damage that can happen without the driver noticing it.
So i told them that this must have been there earlier, but they insist on charging me. I am totally lost and very disappointed. I took cars from sixt many times before, and this was never an issue until now.
Frustrated, I googled "sixt + down to the perimer" and guess what? There are hundreds with exactly the same story.... I wonder if Sixt actually give their employees bonuses for finding alleged damaged that were not reported earlier...
Unfortunately, I would just use enterprise or others from now on. I would recommend anyone reading this to do the same. I never had any problems with any rental! Well, until now...

Originally Posted by SixtCustomerServices
Hi Mike,

If you'd like to send me a private message with your reservation details, I'll be happy to investigate this with the team in Switzerland for you.

Thanks, Jess.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:32 am

Do not use Sixt!!! I am furious

Same thing has now happened to me. We rented a car from sixt at La Rochelle airport in June. Today I have received a letter claiming "new damage" to our hire vehicle.
We returned the car very early, there was no-one available check it but suffice to say there was absolutely no damage when we dropped it off. I have telephoned sixt (in Germany as this is where the letter came from, uk sixt said it was nothing to do with them...thanks!!!). They have confirmed that there was damage and now I await there response. So annoying, makes me not want to hire a car ever again.
Old Sep 11, 2015, 9:54 am

Programs: HH Diamond, Sixt Platinum, IHG Spire Ambassador, Marriott/SPG Gold .....

PSFisher unfortunately when you return outside the opening hours you are out of luck. Someone could have caused it after you parked it and before they checked it > but you are responsible
A good insurance provides peace of mind for cases like this
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:14 am

Turns out I was speaking to La Rochelle and not Germany. They have called back saying that it is "also, nothing to do with them". I have emailed the German branch. Please, never you sixt. This would be stressful enough if we had caused any damage but when you honesty return the vehicle in the same condition you receive it and take care to look after it, it is even worse.

Hope to hear from them soon....
Old Sep 11, 2015, 10:17 am

Blitzen, it wasn't out of hours, there was no-one there to check it over though and we had a flight to catch. Silly me for trusting people...
Old Sep 12, 2015, 2:50 am

Originally Posted by PSFisher
Turns out I was speaking to La Rochelle and not Germany. They have called back saying that it is "also, nothing to do with them". I have emailed the German branch. Please, never you sixt. This would be stressful enough if we had caused any damage but when you honesty return the vehicle in the same condition you receive it and take care to look after it, it is even worse.

Hope to hear from them soon....
Obviously, you haven't read the other car rental forums. If so, then you'll probably never rent a car again. It's not just Sixt that people have problems with. Since you implore everyone to "never you(sic) Sixt", please provide an alternative solution, especially since there are problems with ALL of the rental car companies.
Old Sep 15, 2015, 8:53 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi.

If anybody requires my assistance please feel free to private message me with your Sixt Reservation details and I will assist you in any way that I can from the UK.

Best Regards

Pete - Customer Services Team

Originally Posted by FLYMSY
Obviously, you haven't read the other car rental forums. If so, then you'll probably never rent a car again. It's not just Sixt that people have problems with. Since you implore everyone to "never you(sic) Sixt", please provide an alternative solution, especially since there are problems with ALL of the rental car companies.
Old Jan 28, 2016, 10:20 am

I took out a car from Kalstrup Airport, and now got an email to the same effect, for scratches that would have been impossible to cause on the bumper and door as all travel was on the open road. First and last time SixT gets my business.
On return to the airport, no SixT employee was on-hand to receive the car so it was parked and the keys returned to the SixT office where we informed the staff at the desk that there was NO one in the parking garage to receive the car , and if it was okay to proceed to the flight, he confirmed it was okay. now three weeks i get an invoice for damage of about 700 euroes. Terrible after-sales service, I will be contacting my credit card company.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:46 am

Another one here.

Have been talking to Sixt "schadenregulierung" for days now and they can't understand my indignation. After reading this forum I start to understand the thing.

My story:

I've returned my car on same condition I handed over.

When returning, SixT employee checked the car for about five minutes, then after telling me all was OK, I signed directly on device and move to my flight, by walk.

So I suppose the car was not my liability anymore…

2 days later Sixt claim a scratch on the rim, outer side, by e-mail (accident report form).

How is it supposed either me or the responsible from Sixt who inspected the car didn't noticed that damage when I returned the car?

If they realized some kind of engine or other mechanical flaw that could have been caused by driver abuse, I would understand a late complain. But those scratches are clearly visible according pictures they attached, and I believe it could have been made by anyone who drove the car after I left (even inside garage). The car was totally clean when I returned, so no chance it was covered my mud.

The claimed damages looks very superficial, but they are charging me around EUR 800,00!

If it was less amount, I would have already gave up this dispute because I wasted so many time on this, that I'm frustrated. Now spending more time reading all posts, and nonconformist about Sixt procedure about damages.
Even remembering about my travel is sad now, because this claim!

I'll post later the conclusion (It is already on second instance and now I'm waiting a clarification about damages handling policy (late claims) because they haven't answered till now and it is not clear anywhere in Terms & Conditions)
Old Feb 19, 2016, 8:36 am
Company Representative, Sixt Customer Service

Hi,

I'm sorry to hear about the issues you are currently experiencing with the commercial claim department.

If you would like to private message me your booking details I would be more than happy to take a look for you.

Best Regards
Pete

Originally Posted by danilobr
Another one here.

Have been talking to Sixt "schadenregulierung" for days now and they can't understand my indignation. After reading this forum I start to understand the thing.

My story:

I've returned my car on same condition I handed over.

When returning, SixT employee checked the car for about five minutes, then after telling me all was OK, I signed directly on device and move to my flight, by walk.

So I suppose the car was not my liability anymore…

2 days later Sixt claim a scratch on the rim, outer side, by e-mail (accident report form).

How is it supposed either me or the responsible from Sixt who inspected the car didn't noticed that damage when I returned the car?

If they realized some kind of engine or other mechanical flaw that could have been caused by driver abuse, I would understand a late complain. But those scratches are clearly visible according pictures they attached, and I believe it could have been made by anyone who drove the car after I left (even inside garage). The car was totally clean when I returned, so no chance it was covered my mud.

The claimed damages looks very superficial, but they are charging me around EUR 800,00!

If it was less amount, I would have already gave up this dispute because I wasted so many time on this, that I'm frustrated. Now spending more time reading all posts, and nonconformist about Sixt procedure about damages.
Even remembering about my travel is sad now, because this claim!

I'll post later the conclusion (It is already on second instance and now I'm waiting a clarification about damages handling policy (late claims) because they haven't answered till now and it is not clear anywhere in Terms & Conditions)
Old Feb 19, 2016, 1:19 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by danilobr
After reading this forum this morning I see that the best choice with Sixt is to always get the full waiver to avoid this "scam" (they charge me EUR 800 for rim scratches? - a new BMW rim costs EUR 300 the most!).
You should have received an itemized bill. The rim itself may be 300EUR but there is labor involved to take the wheels off, put the one on, rebalance and realign etc.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 4:50 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
You should have received an itemized bill. The rim itself may be 300EUR but there is labor involved to take the wheels off, put the one on, rebalance and realign etc.
500€ for labor to remount the tire, balance the wheel and align the front and/or the rear end of the car? Come on! At the most, this is a couple of hours of labor and probably a lot less.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:11 pm
Original Member

Programs: AA 2MM, Bonvoy LTT, Hilton Diamond
Originally Posted by TWA884
500€ for labor to remount the tire, balance the wheel and align the front and/or the rear end of the car? Come on! At the most, this is a couple of hours of labor and probably a lot less.
Are you applying German or US labour rates with this comment? Remember, parts and labour are not provided at cost, there's also a profit component to it by whoever Sixt farms out the work to.

On my damage claim, it was 318EUR for the rim, 148EUR for the tire or about 450EUR for parts. Labour was EUR350 not 500EUR (little more than 2 hours @ EUR160/hour). Then there's also 19% tax bringing the total to shy of 1,000EUR.

Can the find a cheaper body shop to do similar work? Sure but they are more than likely charging manufacturer parts/labor rates which would still be considered reasonable by industry standards.

Last edited by seawolf; Feb 19, 2016 at 5:17 pm
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:51 pm
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
Are you applying German or US labour rates with this comment? Remember, parts and labour are not provided at cost, there's also a profit component to it by whoever Sixt farms out the work to.

On my damage claim, it was 318EUR for the rim, 148EUR for the tire or about 450EUR for parts. Labour was EUR350 not 500EUR (little more than 2 hours @ EUR160/hour). Then there's also 19% tax bringing the total to shy of 1,000EUR.

Can the find a cheaper body shop to do similar work? Sure but they are more than likely charging manufacturer parts/labor rates which would still be considered reasonable by industry standards.
It would appear to that these "damage" claims are a profit center that incentivise branch managers to charge customers for questionable or bogus repairs.

I've rented from Sixt in the past and have been very satisfied with my experience; however, having read all the horror stories, in this thread and others, I'd be very leery of doing business with them again except when their rates are substantially cheaper than the competition's (yes, I know that Hertz in Germany has also been accused of similar bogus claims).

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.