FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Damage to hire car that I absolutely did not cause - Sixt trying to charge me.
Old Feb 19, 2016, 5:51 pm
TWA884
Moderator: Travel Safety/Security, Travel Tools, California, Los Angeles; FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: oneword Emerald
Originally Posted by seawolf
Are you applying German or US labour rates with this comment? Remember, parts and labour are not provided at cost, there's also a profit component to it by whoever Sixt farms out the work to.

On my damage claim, it was 318EUR for the rim, 148EUR for the tire or about 450EUR for parts. Labour was EUR350 not 500EUR (little more than 2 hours @ EUR160/hour). Then there's also 19% tax bringing the total to shy of 1,000EUR.

Can the find a cheaper body shop to do similar work? Sure but they are more than likely charging manufacturer parts/labor rates which would still be considered reasonable by industry standards.
It would appear to that these "damage" claims are a profit center that incentivise branch managers to charge customers for questionable or bogus repairs.

I've rented from Sixt in the past and have been very satisfied with my experience; however, having read all the horror stories, in this thread and others, I'd be very leery of doing business with them again except when their rates are substantially cheaper than the competition's (yes, I know that Hertz in Germany has also been accused of similar bogus claims).