Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Car Rental Programs and Ride Services > Sixt | Sixt Card
Reload this Page >

Germany rental - 0% walk away insurance

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Feb 29, 2012, 7:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,

Hello,

I am looking at a 4 day rental (CPMR) picking up in Munich and dropping of in Kempten. I'm from USA and have a credit card that offers international coverage but looking for another option. I would have an IDP and I'm over 25.

My question is, if I pay for the "Insurance Excess: € 0.00 (approx. US$ 0)" is this considered walk away insurance? I have read to many germany rental car stories of back charges, wear and tear, scratches ect. For the extra $100 it would be worth it not to fight over if a scratch / dent was there or if there was a minor accident ect, it's all taken care of.

Is that what the "Insurance Excess: € 0.00 (approx. US$ 0)" would cover?

Thanks!
Old Mar 2, 2012, 2:40 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Funny I was never charged anything extra renting in Germany(Sixt, Europecar), including one time I clearly scratched the car's rear fender exiting the rental place.

I always declined rental agency CDW and relied on credit card coverage which cost $0 extra.
Old Mar 2, 2012, 6:09 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by beep88
Funny I was never charged anything extra renting in Germany(Sixt, Europecar), including one time I clearly scratched the car's rear fender exiting the rental place.

I always declined rental agency CDW and relied on credit card coverage which cost $0 extra.
It has gotten a little more severe in the past few years with issues like this. Especially if you return you car let's say at the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in FRA and they dont have the ability to give you a return receipt.

How much is the extra coverage?
Old Mar 3, 2012, 8:16 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA Gold, OZ silver,
Originally Posted by skywalkerLAX
It has gotten a little more severe in the past few years with issues like this. Especially if you return you car let's say at the Lufthansa First Class Terminal in FRA and they dont have the ability to give you a return receipt.

How much is the extra coverage?
It is $20/day for the $0 deductible insurance. So the insurance will be 30% of the rental cost but I don't want any hassles with this rental.

I just want to make sure that this insurance covers any issues that may come up.
Old Mar 3, 2012, 3:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP LT GLD 1MM, BA GLD, NH/UA*G, Hyatt Dia, Marr Tit LT PLT, IHG Spire,HH Dia, MGM NOIR,Hertz PC
Originally Posted by 767400
It is $20/day for the $0 deductible insurance. So the insurance will be 30% of the rental cost but I don't want any hassles with this rental.

I just want to make sure that this insurance covers any issues that may come up.
Yes it should cover everything. If it's worth the premium to you then go ahead and enjoy the ride!
Old Mar 9, 2012, 11:49 am
B42

Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
We have an insurance with €350 excess for a Sixt Munich car rental because our creditcard covers the insurance up to €500. We are there in May by the way.

Please contact Gary Coughlan, we have had very good experiences with him and Mark Jones and thus far always get excellent service and prices when contacting them.

Last edited by B42; Mar 10, 2012 at 1:49 am
Old Mar 12, 2012, 9:58 am

Originally Posted by B42
We have an insurance with €350 excess for a Sixt Munich car rental because our creditcard covers the insurance up to €500.
I dont get it. you choose a tariff including insurance to save in case of accident exactly 150€? (difference between 500 and 350)
I would assume it costs you almost as much as this difference actually is.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:50 pm
B42

Programs: IC,KLM,Marriott,LHW,HHonors
In our case we had to choose between €1050, €350(paid) or €0(paid) excess. We wanted an all risk cover so we had to choose for the €350 option since our creditcard covers up to €500.
Old Mar 16, 2012, 12:53 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: UA 1K, IC RA
You should nevertheless read the fine print to be sure you know what it does cover.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 8:05 am

Originally Posted by B42
In our case we had to choose between €1050, €350(paid) or €0(paid) excess. We wanted an all risk cover so we had to choose for the €350 option since our creditcard covers up to €500.
you just rephreased yours previous sentence.

you paid a lot of money to be covered to 350€, even though your credit card would have covered you up to 500€ anyway.

is it correct now, that you paid extra for only 150€ extra coverage?

I dont understand.
Old Mar 23, 2012, 7:11 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
CC cover up to 500€

option a) self risk of 1050€ (no extra premium) - up to 550€ liability

option b) self risk 350€ (with extra premium) - the rental agency may hit him with a bill up to 350€, but the CC insurance covers that, so actual liability 0€

As I see it, he nixed his up to 550€ liability for the price of a 350€ excess cover.
Old Mar 26, 2012, 1:59 am

thanks for the explanation.
I didnt expect that a credit card exists which covers car damages up to 500€.

I would like to know which one this is.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.