Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Help with Singpapore airport accomodation at short notice

Search this Thread

Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:21 pm
Original Poster

Help with Singpapore airport accomodation at short notice

I will have a 10 hour layover at SIN in 11 days time - I hope.

Basically i am flying on UA points and am currently booked on the overnight flight out of Australia connecting onto the 0800 service to SGN.

I was unable to get the afternoon flight arriving the night before at 2030 hours which would have allowed a decent sleep .

I've noticed that business award seats come up close to the time on this run and i am hopeful of scoring one of those and ,if so,will then need overnight accommodation at the airport .

I would like to stay at one of the airport ambassador hotels but bookings are non cancellable - not good if the afternoon award seat does not come thru .

Have any readers had experience of vacancy rates at these hotels in terms of getting a room at short notice or can you suggest reasonably priced alternative hotels easily accessible to the terminals ?

Many thanks for your help
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:34 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
I spent two nights at the SIN airport Ambassador Transit Hotel last month. In each case, I booked weeks in advance. On the first night, I noticed many walk-up customers were being told all hotels (there are three) were full. On the second occasion, walk-up bookings were being accepted.

BTW I was only charged at the time of check-in.
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:45 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If you are flying business class have you considered staying in a lounge rather than hotel? What airline would you be flying sin-sgn?
Old Feb 27, 2009, 5:48 pm

Programs: UA 2MM
You can also stay at the Crowne Plaza Changi Airport, which is indeed right at Terminal 3. However a refundable reservation there would of course be more expensive. (actually much more )
Old Feb 28, 2009, 2:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by estnet
If you are flying business class have you considered staying in a lounge rather than hotel? What airline would you be flying sin-sgn?
Its an all SQ itinerary.

The refundable prices at the Crowne Plaza are round 270 sgd.

I'll just hope the seats free up early.
Old Feb 28, 2009, 10:58 pm

Programs: UA plat, , aa plat, marriott LT titanium
If you are on sq in business the lounges (T2 and T3) are both quite nice and have reasonable (if not totally private) areas to sleep/rest - and free food and drink to boot You might find a better use for the 270 sgd!
Old Mar 1, 2009, 12:01 am
Community Director Emerita

I've stayed in the transit hotel a couple times. Have you contacted it to check on availability?
Old Mar 19, 2009, 7:34 am

Originally Posted by SanDiego1K
I've stayed in the transit hotel a couple times. Have you contacted it to check on availability?
Have you considered the Paramount Hotel.it is on the SIA Stopover Programme for 2009.$130 for the night that is what I am doing when I go to Vietnam at the end of the year as I don't have any relatives to call upon for a free night

Last edited by SanDiego1K; Mar 19, 2009 at 10:10 am Reason: fixed ubb coding
Old Mar 24, 2009, 9:38 pm

Originally Posted by ozflier
I would like to stay at one of the airport ambassador hotels but bookings are non cancellable - not good if the afternoon award seat does not come thru.
Bookings may well be labelled "non-cancellable" but since you do not give them any credit card details when you make a booking, they have no way of charging you unless you are there. In practice, they always have walk-up demand so they will simply release those rooms for those people if you do not turn up.

Of course, you may like to inform them of your cancellation out of common courtesy. But don't let the "non-cancellable" bit (in fact, I don't even remember seeing it on the website) put you off making a booking if the Transit Hotel would serve your needs best (which appears to be the case here)

PS. Just realised that OP probably has already travelled through SIN - got here too late!

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.