Wiki Posts
Search

Pan Pacific Hotel

Search this Thread

Old Nov 23, 2006, 9:51 am
Original Poster

Programs: DL PM, Hyatt Globalist
Pan Pacific Hotel

it is listed as a 5 star but its price is 30% lower than other 5 stars. It has good reviews on tripadvisor and other sites. has anyone stayed there? how does it compare to the Conrad? Hilton? Le Meridian?
Old Nov 23, 2006, 10:33 am

Know nothing about the S'pore Pan Pacific, but the Bangkok Pan Pacific is not considered a 5 star. Four star trying to appear as 5 star, IMHO.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 3:51 pm

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I've stayed at the Pan Pacific in Singapore before, the rooms were fine, but the service was the worst I've received at any of the hotels I've stayed at in Singapore before. Every other hotel in the Marina Bay area is better than the Pan Pacific it's fair to say (including the Conrad, which has nice rooms and great service as well).

The Le Meridien in Singapore is pretty dated as well, certainly only a 4* hotel at best - rooms are a decent size, but very 80's. I haven't stayed at the Hilton in Singapore, but general feedback doesn't appear to be so positive (then again, with the Conrad as its competition HH's wise, that's no surprise).

Personally, I wouldn't stay at the Pan Pacific Singapore ever again - there's too many other good hotels in Singapore to bother with it, and the lower rates available there accurately reflect that disparity.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 7:51 pm
Suspended

Please note that 5 star over here is not quite the same as 5 star by American standards.

The last time I stayed at the Pan Pacific was quite a few years back, but I was quite pleased with my stays there for the low rate I was paying. A balcony room with a view of the city/marina is quite pretty at night. I also like the location better than the Hilton (some may prefer Hilton's Orchard Road location though) and its connected to a shopping mall with plenty of dining options.

I would rank the PP above the Hilton but below the Conrad. Havent stayed at the LM yet but I think I will choose the PP over the LM.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 8:16 pm

Programs: DL LTG, SPG LTP, Mar. PLT
Stay away from the Pan Pacific. I reserved a non-smoking room, months before my arrival, when I checked -in at 4.00 pm my room was not ready,
Waited till 6 pm, still not ready finally took a smoking room. Asked to speak to the Duty mngr. but he was not available. They promised compensation but nothing ever happened.

The Marina Manderin, at the other end of the Mall is a much better hotel.

Casey.
Old Nov 23, 2006, 11:39 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: HH Gold, BA Silver, Accor Silver
It was 4 years ago when I stayed there and we were admittedly on the Pacific Floors, but I had nothing but praise for the place.

It was at times a little comical - a huge afternoon tea buffet being set out in the club lounge and one or two people having the odd cake. The inclusive minibar (no longer on offer sadly) was also a nice perk - open that door and mix a G&T or sink a beer without worrying about the usual rip-off cost. Then in the lounge in the evening, as soon as your glass was half empty, they were around to offer another drink.

After the first day the chef in the lounge knew my breakfast order - it really was a class act.
Old Nov 25, 2006, 11:11 pm

I stayed at the MM (Marina Mandarin) yesterday. Nice property, efficient staff. Rooms not as big as Pan Pac (33sqm vs 40 sqm for Pan Pac). Based on my research, MM (together with Meritus Mandarin in Orchard) are the cheapest five-star hotels in the market. Weekend rates of S$148+++ onwards. IIRC, Pan Pac is the next cheapest at S$170+++ (non-refundable).

PanPac, MM, The Oriental (the three hotels in the Marina Sq devt) are very old hotels, however, all three have undergone extensive refurb in the past two years, starting with Pan Pac, then the Oriental and then the MM.

Compared to the Hilton and LM, Pan Pac is def the most contemporary of the three properties. However, Conrad is in another league altogether. I would put Conrad down as a five-star deluxe property together with Shangri-La RC, MO, FS etc. However, Pan Pac, MM, Hilton, Marriott would be considered a five-star standard hotel.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:10 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I know Priceline gives the PP 5 stars but I rate it as a 4. The lounge is decent and worth paying the S$50?? for an upgraded room, especially if there are 2 people. I have been able to get rooms at the PP for about S$170++ by booking directly on their web site.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:19 pm
In memoriam

Programs: UA 1K 1.9MM, Starwood Platinum, a nothing in several others
I used to stay at the Oriental a lot when I could get a S$165++ corporate rate and an upgraded room. The maid service was excellent. One day it was so hot and humid outside that I took 4 showers. After each one I turned on the "makeup up room" light and it was promptly serviced.

Once I ever got a free upgrade to large suite with living room, dining room, wet bar, etc.
Old Nov 27, 2006, 3:32 pm

On a recent trip to Singapore, for no reason what so ever, I decided to split up my 8 nights into 4 stays of 2 nights each in one of the Marina Square hotels. The order of my stays being Conrad, Pan Pacific, Marina Mandarin and finally Oriental, and Pan Pacific is definitely the worst of the 4.

The public spaces for the Pan Pacific are quite stunning, unfortunately the same can't be said for its rooms, which while comfortable, are definitely getting a little long on the tooth. The other 3 hotels had much nicer rooms due to more recent renovations (Pan Pacific renovated their public space 2 years ago, but not the rooms).

Tht said, it is still a pretty nice hotel. Of the three hotels that you listed, the Conrad is definitely better, but the Pan Pacific is still head and shoulders above the Hilton and Meridien (both are total dumps if you ask me, the only good thing being their location on Orchard road).
Old May 10, 2010, 5:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AAConciergeKey/1MM, DL DM/2 MM, UA Gold,Hilton Diamond, IHG Plat, Hyatt Globalist, Marriott Titanium
Can anyone comment on the status of this hotel these days? Im considering a Pacific Club room, but am hoping it will be modern and the club lounge will be nice. The web site says it is open 24 hours for light snacks (ice cream,etc)...are drinks always available? or only during happy hour?

Also, what's the cheapest way to get to this hotel from the airport?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.