Search

Cheap hotels

Search this Thread

Old Jan 16, 2005, 7:58 pm
Moderator: CommunityBuzz!, OMNI, OMNI/PR, and OMNI/Games & FlyerTalk Evangelist
Original Poster

Programs: UAMM, AAMM & ExPlat, Marriott lifetime Plat, IHG Plat, Hilton Diamond
Cheap hotels

Just spent a $125 (singapore dollars, about $75 US) night at Le Meridien http://www.lemeridien.com/singapore/...l_sg1670.shtml
With taxes was $155 Singapore.

Pool area was very nice.

room was a bit tired looking BUT clean! Beds were Very comfortable.

Lots of food choices within easy walking distance.

Cabs were prompt at all times of the day, even 4:40 in the morning on my way to the airport.

Any other cheap hotel ideas in SIN?
Old Jan 17, 2005, 7:40 am

Programs: TK/SQ Gold, QR Plat, Marriott/Accor Plat, IC Dia Amb, HH Gold, Hertz PC
Robertson Quay Hotel - cheap at S$80 and a nice location near the river and Mohamed Sultan road.

The Gallery Hotel - a 'hip' hotel also in the same area, plenty of nightlife. S$138.

For an inexpensive 5* hotel, try the Intercontinental Singapore at Bugis which goes for S$155 on weekends with breakfast for two and has very, very comfortable beds.
Old Jan 17, 2005, 8:12 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Is Priceline an option for you?

I used to get the Marriott for $55 USD, although some recent winning bids seem to be for even less?

It looks like Le Meridien is available for $61 - $72 USD?
Old Jan 18, 2005, 8:22 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by transpac
Is Priceline an option for you?
yes it is,

My stay at Le Meridien was a same day reservation as when I went to the Hilton to check in on a very cheap pre-paid stay, they claimed my cc was not valid when they ran the charge through (total BS as I called Amex and there was never an attempt made). so I went to the biz center at the Hilton and did some quick surfing.

The prices you quote are very cheap!
Old Jan 18, 2005, 10:20 pm
rjh

Programs: Kam Leng; Two Dragons GH
Stay using www.asiatravel.com at the Orchard Road Y or the Beach Hotel or the ever popular Hotel 81 chain, including my fave the Palace in Geylang. Caution: these aren't the Conrad. Prepaid rates are sometimes cheapest and sometimes not.

http://www.hotel81.com.sg/hotels_palace.shtml

Rich
Old Jan 22, 2005, 8:55 am

Programs: QF QP NB, PC Plat. Amb, SPG Gold
I stayed at the Le Meridien in Singapore over Christmas on a Priceline.sg stay, and it was SG$107+taxes per night, so not too shabby. Apart from priceline, the website I've found with consistently good prices is www.asiarooms.com - considering they're prices including tax, and often with breakfast too they can be pretty good value.

As for other recommendations, well I've stayed at far too many 3-5* places in Singapore (mostly around the 4* level) and most of them are pretty similar overall. Ones I'd stay in again include the Conrad (which used to have a great weekend rate, but no longer seems to offer it), the Swissotel Stamford, Hotel Rendezvous and Berjaya Duxton, depending on the prices on offer and which area of Singapore I was in the mood for staying in. Others I've stayed in, including the Plaza Parkroyal, Allson, Riverview, Hotel Phoenix and New Park Hotel have all been fine enough, and would go back to if other options weren't available, but wouldn't be rushing back to anytime soon either (and most are poorly located, apart from the Hotel Phoenix).

I'll agree the Intercontinental has nice rooms (the one I stayed in was pleasant enough), but wasn't particuarly impressed by the service - then again as a youngish traveller (who had a backpack firmly attached when arriving) perhaps I wasn't quite the demographic they were looking to cater to. Even worse was the Pan Pacific, again the rooms were nice, but the service was pretty ordinary, and had a number of issues with the bill on checking out. The Peninsula/Excelsior hotel seemed to *always* have long queues for checking in and checking out when I stayed there, and the rooms were pretty average, so I'd say spending $10 a night more somewhere else would be worth your while if on the lower end of the budget.

Personally I'd like to try the Gallery at some stage, especially with its proximity to nightlife being a bonus. The Scarlet Hotel - www.thescarlet.com looks interesting too, I'd be happy to hear if anyone has stayed there yet? Otherwise for more of a budget option, Hangout at Mt.Emily - www.hangouthotels.com looks inviting, especially for the price it seems a bit of a bargain!

Last edited by GibSpmuh; Jan 22, 2005 at 8:58 am
Old Mar 12, 2006, 6:18 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by GibSpmuh
The Scarlet Hotel - www.thescarlet.com looks interesting too, I'd be happy to hear if anyone has stayed there yet?
the Scarlet was just mentioned in National Geographic as a cheap hotel $86US,
Mentioned it has a rooftop bar/restaurant and that the rooms all have art deco designs.

The mag also mentioned the Hotel 1929 for about $83US, www.hotel1929.com

--
Old Mar 13, 2006, 6:23 am

Originally Posted by Sweet Willie
the Scarlet was just mentioned in National Geographic as a cheap hotel $86US, Mentioned it has a rooftop bar/restaurant and that the rooms all have art deco designs.
I always stay at the Scarlet and tout it regularly on FT (do a search!), but I'd hardly call the rooms "art deco" -- try "boudoir rococo" instead. 1929 is a bit more staid (at least in comparison).
Old Mar 17, 2006, 3:47 am

i stayed in hotel 1929 for like $50 a night, booked through i believe it was asiarooms or asia hotels.

Rooms are small and there is no pool, but very nice rooms
Old Aug 19, 2007, 8:11 pm
Original Poster

Anyone stay at the Astro hotel ?

http://www.astro-singapore-hotel.com/

--
Old Aug 20, 2007, 8:36 am

Anyone stay at the Astro hotel ?

http://www.astro-singapore-hotel.com/
No, but I can tell you that Joo Chiat is one of Singapore's designated red-light districts, which would also explain why they charge just $55 with taxes for a night.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:31 am

Programs: UA/AA
Originally Posted by jpatokal
No, but I can tell you that Joo Chiat is one of Singapore's designated red-light districts, which would also explain why they charge just $55 with taxes for a night.
So, maybe it is an hourly rate.
Old Aug 20, 2007, 3:53 pm

Programs: UA MM, Hilton-Dia
Originally Posted by jpatokal
FWIW Joo Chiat is actually not one of the 3 DRLs (Designated Red Light areas). The DRLs are Geylang, Desker/Petain and a small area in Chinatown. Notwithstanding that, Joo Chiat has been inundated with "Viet bars" in the last couple of years. Local residents up in arms etc etc
Old Aug 20, 2007, 7:52 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by tide
FWIW Joo Chiat is actually not one of the 3 DRLs (Designated Red Light areas). The DRLs are Geylang, Desker/Petain and a small area in Chinatown. Notwithstanding that, Joo Chiat has been inundated with "Viet bars" in the last couple of years. Local residents up in arms etc etc
What is a "Viet bar" ?
Old Aug 20, 2007, 10:51 pm

Programs: UA/AA
What is a "Viet bar" ?
I was wondering the same thing.

Have you looked at New 7th Storey Hotel (Singapore)

www.nsshotel.com

It has gotten great reviews on this board and tripadvisor

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.