Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Good hotel in Singapore for a first timer?

Good hotel in Singapore for a first timer?

Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:32 am
  #16  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
That hotel looks beautiful but it's $231/nt. Got any other suggestions for Bugis?
Sorry about that, did a mock booking and it came in around your budget, but chose dates further away. As we live here, we really don't know the hotels that well, but both Bugis and Little India are good bases. I'd look at the TripAdvisor and Trivago ratings. You can't go too far wrong with an Ibis at budget level, though generally small rooms in Asia.
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:37 am
  #17  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by MSPeconomist
If you want to see Raffles, you should be able to get a cheaper drink outside in a courtyard (where IME there's sometimes decent live music). Avoid the Long Bar (where the Singapore Sling was supposedly invented) as it's an overcrowded tourist trap. OTOH, going to the Writers' Bar gives you the opportunity to go inside to see the lobby; be sure to look up to as it's basically an atrium.

For tourism, the Bugis area is a much better location than Orchard Road.
Just to mention, we went to Writer's Bar start of March, could only access from outside, and you needed a room key fob to get into the lobby, (which wasn't the case in December, took guests in there to look at Christmas tree). Whether this is a permanent thing or not, I don't know.
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2024, 3:38 pm
  #18  
 
Join Date: Sep 2004
Location: PDX
Programs: Free agent!
Posts: 1,426
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Ok, so I'm looking at Little India now. Some good choices seem to be Wanderlust, Owen House, and possibly Aqueen Prestige Hotel Jalan Besar (haven't read the reviews yet). The cost of hotels is higher in Little India than in Bugis, but the consensus here so far seems to be that it's worth it.
We stayed at the Novotel (at the time, a Parkroyal) down the street from Owen House back in July and we liked staying in Little India. There was easy MRT access by way of Farrer Park and tons of delicious Indian food all throughout the neighbourhood and the incredible Mustafa Centre which seemingly sells everything. It was also walkable to popular tourist spots such as Kampong Glam/Arab Street.

Frankly, Singapore is so small that I think you're worrying a bit too much about the difference between Bugis and Little India. Both are centrally located areas and both are well connected to other areas of Singapore via public transport.
moretimeoffguy and Midships like this.

Last edited by kevincrumbs; Apr 1, 2024 at 3:39 pm Reason: Clarification for down the street
kevincrumbs is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2024, 4:13 pm
  #19  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Posts: 1,422
So, I booked at Hotel 81 Dickson in Little India. Two star hotel that some say is like a 3 star. It had free cancellation too which I didnt see much with the others.

Only USD $72/nt before tax, and with tax was $258.70 for 3 nights with tax.

Seems to be across the street from one of the MRT stations and is in walking distance to Mustafa Center.

Definitely fits my budget better than the $150/nt propertieshalf the cost for the same sized room.

Think Ill keep this reservation and call it done unless anyone has grave objections about the hotel.

Thanks so much to all for the assistance!
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Apr 1, 2024, 5:17 pm
  #20  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Posts: 1,422
Ok so the reviews for Hotel 81 Dickson on Expedia indicate bugs, mold, and a lack of cleanliness so maybe its not a bargain after all! Good thing I can cancel it.
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 1:30 am
  #21  
 
Join Date: Jan 2015
Location: Singapore
Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Posts: 490
Originally Posted by kevincrumbs
We stayed at the Novotel (at the time, a Parkroyal) down the street from Owen House back in July and we liked staying in Little India. There was easy MRT access by way of Farrer Park and tons of delicious Indian food all throughout the neighbourhood and the incredible Mustafa Centre which seemingly sells everything. It was also walkable to popular tourist spots such as Kampong Glam/Arab Street.

Frankly, Singapore is so small that I think you're worrying a bit too much about the difference between Bugis and Little India. Both are centrally located areas and both are well connected to other areas of Singapore via public transport.
Have to endorse Mustafa Centre. It is a shopping experience like no other. They will seal up your bags with cable tie though when you go in!
Midships is offline  
Old Apr 2, 2024, 8:25 pm
  #22  
 
Join Date: Sep 2023
Posts: 20
Hotel Boss it is a Budget-friendly chains like this are reliable and several locations around $100-120.
moretimeoffguy and Midships like this.
john_ny is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 3:53 pm
  #23  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Posts: 1,422
Thanks for the replies. I've gotta book something by the end of the day tomorrow. So if anyone has list minute suggestions, please let me know. Strangely, a Thai restaurant owner from Bangkok I know told me though Little India was a dirty part of town and not to stay there. But I didn't ask when he was last there. Is it a place that's been "gentrified?"
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:47 pm
  #24  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,658
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks for the replies. I've gotta book something by the end of the day tomorrow. So if anyone has list minute suggestions, please let me know. Strangely, a Thai restaurant owner from Bangkok I know told me though Little India was a dirty part of town and not to stay there. But I didn't ask when he was last there. Is it a place that's been "gentrified?"
I don't know what is meant by "dirty". I don't think it's dirty in the sense of having a lot of trash.. I have seen Indian immigrant workers hanging around places after or before work. I was in Taiwan and someone asked where we were going next and we said Bali and they said they heard Bali is dirty. Now Bali has a fair amount of trash, but it isn't dirty. There are restaurants in Little India I wouldn't trust to eat in, but there are lots of other restaurants in Little India that I have eaten in; in fact there are people who are turned away every time I've eaten at Mustard. I have no problems with Little India. I stay there a lot. Old white female. I actually prefer staying in Little India than on say Orchard Road. Orchard Road has no soul.
moretimeoffguy likes this.
manneca is offline  
Old Apr 5, 2024, 4:54 pm
  #25  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,658
Try the Holiday Inn Express Singapore Seragoon. I saw it for $136 USD. There is another Holiday Inn in Little India that may be a bit cheaper. I haven't been inside it.
moretimeoffguy and lsquare like this.
manneca is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2024, 12:05 pm
  #26  
Original Poster
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: RDU
Posts: 1,422
Originally Posted by manneca
Try the Holiday Inn Express Singapore Seragoon. I saw it for $136 USD. There is another Holiday Inn in Little India that may be a bit cheaper. I haven't been inside it.
Thanks! Just booked the Holiday Inn Express Singapore Little India. It was only 22K IHG pts/nt, the hotel has great reviews, and it's evidently very close to the Farrer MRT station. Hate to use points but I'm trying to save on out-of-pocket expenses; I typically save up IHG points for InterContinental stays in Europe. The Holiday Inn Express Singapore Seragoon cost more points: 29K/nt.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Apr 6, 2024 at 12:26 pm
moretimeoffguy is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2024, 10:56 pm
  #27  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia City Highlands
Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Posts: 6,899
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
So, I booked at Hotel 81 Dickson in Little India.
I would stay away from Hotel 81 or Fragnance. They are the cheapest hotel chains aound and service, amenites and quality are accordingly.
invisible is offline  
Old Apr 6, 2024, 11:01 pm
  #28  
 
Join Date: Dec 2007
Location: Virginia City Highlands
Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Posts: 6,899
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
. Is it a place that's been "gentrified?"
There is no such concept in Singapore.Too long to expain, but westen terms don't really apply there. You won't find anything resembling 'ghetto' in Singapore due to government policies since 1960s. To the point that if you have a certain nationality and want to buy government subsidised flat (where close to 90% of Singaporean population lives) you won't be able to do so if there are too many people with the same nationality living in that area. That is done to the purpose to provent forming of ghettos.
invisible is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2024, 6:57 am
  #29  
 
Join Date: Dec 2009
Location: Singapore, Warsaw, Surfers Paradise
Programs: KrisFlyer Gold>>>Silver>>>Blue, Finnair Silver, Royal Caribbean Diamond
Posts: 5,151
For a first-timer I would say Orchard is the place to start. Even historically that has been the place to go for tourists (though not just tourists) and remains one of the landmarks of the region. Nowadays I would choose other places over Orchard but I still think that's the best place to start off your Singapore experience.

Don't worry too much about malls. In a city with limited space and expensive land that's just the way things are organised. So whether it's going to the bank, a medical specialist, the post office or getting a haircut, in busy places they'll all be located in malls. They are like the one-stop shop for everything.

Keep in mind Orchard Road changes to Bras Basah and then into Raffles Blvd as you move along further east and any of those places is a great place to stay. You can also turn south as some hotels close to Funan Mall (like Peninsula Excelsior) might have very decent prices yet the location will still be great. There might also be some decently-priced hotels around Clarke Quay MRT station such as Furama City Centre.

On a tight budget the YMCA would also be an option.

It would be much easier if you provided the dates as then we could definitely come up with some value offers during that period.
aster is offline  
Old Apr 10, 2024, 9:04 am
  #30  
 
Join Date: Mar 2007
Location: CLE
Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Posts: 3,658
Originally Posted by aster
For a first-timer I would say Orchard is the place to start. Even historically that has been the place to go for tourists (though not just tourists) and remains one of the landmarks of the region. Nowadays I would choose other places over Orchard but I still think that's the best place to start off your Singapore experience.

Don't worry too much about malls. In a city with limited space and expensive land that's just the way things are organised. So whether it's going to the bank, a medical specialist, the post office or getting a haircut, in busy places they'll all be located in malls. They are like the one-stop shop for everything.

Keep in mind Orchard Road changes to Bras Basah and then into Raffles Blvd as you move along further east and any of those places is a great place to stay. You can also turn south as some hotels close to Funan Mall (like Peninsula Excelsior) might have very decent prices yet the location will still be great. There might also be some decently-priced hotels around Clarke Quay MRT station such as Furama City Centre.

On a tight budget the YMCA would also be an option.

It would be much easier if you provided the dates as then we could definitely come up with some value offers during that period.

I'm curious as to your reasons for thinking Orchard Road would be the place to start.
kevincrumbs likes this.
manneca is offline  

Thread Tools
Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.