Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Good hotel in Singapore for a first timer?

Old Mar 30, 2024, 8:06 am
Original Poster

An ex-neighbor of mine living in Singapore invited me over to hang, but he can't host me. What hotels in Singapore are good for a first-timer? I only require that it be clean, quiet, safe, and conveniently located for sight-seeing / transport. My budget's only around USD $100/nt. Certainly less than $150. Not looking for a luxury experience. Just want to explore the city.

Also wondering, is 2 nights enough to sample the highlights of the city? Any time I spend in Singapore is time away from my main trip in Thailand. And I'm not a real city guy. I'm more of a mountains / hiking guy.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 30, 2024 at 8:17 am
Old Mar 30, 2024, 9:29 am
Original Poster

I figure Ill do 3 nights. Is there anything good and affordable on Orchard Rd? By affordable I mean USD $150/nt or less. My cousin just recommended the Marriott Tang Plaza but thats USD $351/nt for my dates. Easy for him to recommend because hes a biz traveler and has what I think is the highest status Marriott offers: Lifetime Titanium Elite Plus.

I dont need many amenities since I wont be in my room much. Just a clean, convenient, and safe place to rest my head at night

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 30, 2024 at 9:36 am
Old Mar 30, 2024, 10:29 am

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Depending on date, less than $200 a night is Hilton Garden Inn in Little India. It's off the usual tourist path, but it's close to an MRT and from there you can get anywhere in Singapore (mostly). Maybe a 20 minute walk to a bunch of malls but there are good restaurants on the side streets. I'm not a fan of Orchard Road but it's easy to get there on the MRT from Little India. Little India is a terrific place to walk around and there are some good Indian restaurants (the best is Mustard).

I think it would work if you're adventurous, if not then it might be a stretch but anything on Orchard Road or near the convention center is going to be really pricey.
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:14 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
Depending on date, less than $200 a night is Hilton Garden Inn in Little India. It's off the usual tourist path, but it's close to an MRT and from there you can get anywhere in Singapore (mostly). Maybe a 20 minute walk to a bunch of malls but there are good restaurants on the side streets. I'm not a fan of Orchard Road but it's easy to get there on the MRT from Little India. Little India is a terrific place to walk around and there are some good Indian restaurants (the best is Mustard).

I think it would work if you're adventurous, if not then it might be a stretch but anything on Orchard Road or near the convention center is going to be really pricey.
Thanks. I am finding some allegedly 4 star hotels on Orchard Rd for about USD $150/nt but the rooms are pretty small: Mercure Singapore on Stevens, YOTEL Singapore Orchard Road, and York Hotel. I'd probably want to stay on the tourist path as a first-timer to Singapore, wouldn't I?
Old Mar 30, 2024, 11:57 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
I don't consider Orchard Road to be the tourist path, just the shopping path for some. I prefer to do my shopping in more interesting neighborhoods where one is more likely to find unique local items.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 6:27 am

Programs: BAEC GFL (Only took 30 years)
Might want to try Rendezvous Hotel Singapore by Far East Hospitality, at Bugis, reasonably central, on two good train lines and near Arab Street with some good reasonable cost dining. Walking distance to the Raffles "Writers Bar" for cocktails if you are feeling flush, (suggest booking). We live in Geylang, can gets rooms by the hour there!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 8:57 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Midships
Might want to try Rendezvous Hotel Singapore by Far East Hospitality, at Bugis, reasonably central, on two good train lines and near Arab Street with some good reasonable cost dining. Walking distance to the Raffles "Writers Bar" for cocktails if you are feeling flush, (suggest booking). We live in Geylang, can gets rooms by the hour there!
That hotel looks beautiful but it's $231/nt. Got any other suggestions for Bugis? The Writer's Bar sounds great. I'd like to explore the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok when I'm there. Evidently there's a writer's section and famously, Joseph Conrad and W Somerset Maugham have stayed there. Wish I could afford it!
Old Mar 31, 2024, 9:10 am
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
That hotel looks beautiful but it's $231/nt. Got any other suggestions for Bugis? The Writer's Bar sounds great. I'd like to explore the Mandarin Oriental in Bangkok when I'm there. Evidently there's a writer's section and famously, Joseph Conrad and W Somerset Maugham have stayed there. Wish I could afford it!
If you want to see Raffles, you should be able to get a cheaper drink outside in a courtyard (where IME there's sometimes decent live music). Avoid the Long Bar (where the Singapore Sling was supposedly invented) as it's an overcrowded tourist trap. OTOH, going to the Writers' Bar gives you the opportunity to go inside to see the lobby; be sure to look up to as it's basically an atrium.

For tourism, the Bugis area is a much better location than Orchard Road.
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 10:21 am
Original Poster

I'm seeing a good amount of decently rated hotels in Bugis for around USD $100/nt but I have no idea which I should choose. Any recommendations? Should I post a short list of properties here?
Old Mar 31, 2024, 2:43 pm

Programs: UA
Any of the Ibis hotels should do fine, albeit a little tight size-wise.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:08 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by a5un
Any of the Ibis hotels should do fine, albeit a little tight size-wise.
Thanks. The Ibis in Bugis is USD $137/nt, so that's getting closer to my price target.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:23 pm

Programs: UA Gold, HH Diamond, Marriott Gold
Originally Posted by moretimeoffguy
Thanks. I am finding some allegedly 4 star hotels on Orchard Rd for about USD $150/nt but the rooms are pretty small: Mercure Singapore on Stevens, YOTEL Singapore Orchard Road, and York Hotel. I'd probably want to stay on the tourist path as a first-timer to Singapore, wouldn't I?
It depends on how adventurous you are. Little India has more of a neighborhood feel; the buildings are generally about 2 stories. Orchard Road is nothing but high rise malls. Not much to see there. Lots ot see and experience in Little India. Rooms aren't large in Singapore even if you're staying at places like Tang's. Anywhere in Singapore is safe. Frankly, I wish I'd known about Little India when I first started traveling to Singapore. The Hilton Garden Inn is about 2 blocks from the MRT and you can easily get anywhere. If you want to stay in a hotel with a bunch of malls than Orchard Road works.
moretimeoffguy and lsquare like this.
Old Mar 31, 2024, 4:59 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by manneca
It depends on how adventurous you are. Little India has more of a neighborhood feel; the buildings are generally about 2 stories. Orchard Road is nothing but high rise malls. Not much to see there. Lots ot see and experience in Little India. Rooms aren't large in Singapore even if you're staying at places like Tang's. Anywhere in Singapore is safe. Frankly, I wish I'd known about Little India when I first started traveling to Singapore. The Hilton Garden Inn is about 2 blocks from the MRT and you can easily get anywhere. If you want to stay in a hotel with a bunch of malls than Orchard Road works.
Thanks. No interest in shopping malls. Ok, so I'm looking at Little India now. Some good choices seem to be Wanderlust, Owen House, and possibly Aqueen Prestige Hotel Jalan Besar (haven't read the reviews yet). The cost of hotels is higher in Little India than in Bugis, but the consensus here so far seems to be that it's worth it.

My dates are:
Check-in: April 22nd
Check-out: April 25th.

Last edited by moretimeoffguy; Mar 31, 2024 at 5:05 pm
Old Apr 1, 2024, 2:03 am

You could also consider other hotel chains such as Hotel 81 or Fragrance Hotel.

If cost is really important and you're willing to consider some alternative arrangements, you could try shared accommodation or pod style hotels.
I haven't got personal experience here so won't recommend any for you.
moretimeoffguy likes this.
Old Apr 1, 2024, 8:32 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by SQTraveller
You could also consider other hotel chains such as Hotel 81 or Fragrance Hotel.

If cost is really important and you're willing to consider some alternative arrangements, you could try shared accommodation or pod style hotels.
I haven't got personal experience here so won't recommend any for you.
Thank you. Well, cost is important, but I don't want to stay in a capsule hotel or have a shared bathroom like a hostel. Too old for that!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.