Mandarin Oriental vs Fullerton

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jan 4, 2020, 8:48 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA

So looking to stay in either the Mandarin Oriental Club Marina Bay Room for £1143 or the Fullerton STRAITS CLUB MARINA BAY VIEW for £1012. As they are both similar price, which is better?

Both come with 1 way airport transfer as a bonus, but in the MO I get late checkout free.
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:05 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Location: Falkirk, Scotland,VS Red, BA Gold, HH Diamond,UK Amex Plat
Programs: Master of the Privy Purse des Muccis
Hi,

I would think you would get a better view of the bay from the Mandarin Oriental as it is a higher floor)

How late is your MO checkout and your flight back as it is always nice to relax in your room before going to the airport ( depending on the airline you could have early check in at SIN and then you could view the Jewel etc if you have not seen it before)

Regards

TBS
Old Jan 4, 2020, 2:51 pm

Originally Posted by The _Banking_Scot
Hi,

I would think you would get a better view of the bay from the Mandarin Oriental as it is a higher floor)

How late is your MO checkout and your flight back as it is always nice to relax in your room before going to the airport ( depending on the airline you could have early check in at SIN and then you could view the Jewel etc if you have not seen it before)

Regards

TBS
I would agree with the view comment. The Fullerton actually doesn't have that great view from the rooms.
Old Jan 5, 2020, 8:19 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by GodAtum
So looking to stay in either the Mandarin Oriental Club Marina Bay Room for £1143 or the Fullerton STRAITS CLUB MARINA BAY VIEW for £1012. As they are both similar price, which is better?
Having stayed only once in both hotels, my vote goes to the MO, it has a gorgeous club, view of the bay is excellent, has better restaurants, and doesn't have all those little compromises the Fullerton needs to make because of the building being designed & built almost a century ago.
Old Jan 11, 2020, 8:23 pm
Original Member

Location: Portland OR Double Emerald (QF and AA), DL PM/MM, Starwood Plat
I prefer the Fullerton but it is a quirky historic building ... there are at least a dozen different club room with Bay view layouts, some are even duplex. The better ones are stunning, though those probably count as suites. So it is a bit pot luck on which specific room you get. While the view isn't that high, it is very nice and there is a bar at the top of the hotel which has Cuban cigars and proper cigar lighters, along with great cocktails (don't think the MO has that ).
Old Jan 28, 2020, 6:30 am
Original Poster

Programs: Virgin Flying Club Red, Emirates Skywards Blue, BA Executive Club Blue, Amex BA
Just realised there's also a Fullerton Bay. No club though.
Old Jan 28, 2020, 9:51 pm
Original Member

Originally Posted by GodAtum
Just realised there's also a Fullerton Bay. No club though.
Same owner for Fullerton Bay but quite different hotel ... Bay is new and claims to be 6-star. Rooms are more consistently good while with Fullerton there are big differences between the 20 different room types ... plus some really unique suites, if you like historic buildings.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 2:36 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: A3*Gold, SPG Plat, HyattDiamond, MarriottPP, LHW exAccess, ICI, Raffles Amb, NW PE MM, TWA Gold MM
The demographics are very different. I associate Fullerton Bay with a party scene, especially on their roof deck. I wouldn't call it six star, maybe not even five.
Old Feb 3, 2020, 6:39 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Fullerton Bay has been #1 ranked hotel on TripAdvisor for a while. Can't comment on that though as I haven't stayed there.
Old Feb 4, 2020, 6:21 pm

MO is a hotel , hotel building, ie it was built as a hotel, therefore the layout, restaurants, function rooms are hotel like with the guest in mind.
FB is a historic building and used to be the General Post Office., the hotel layout is designed around the preserved structure, therefore abit unique.

location wise, FB is in the CBD area, vs MO is in a shopping area with food courts and plenty of shops.
both are accessible to many places with taxi ~$10 . subway ~5-10 mins walking.

View wise, really depends on the room facing direction. MBS will have better view IMO if view is your priority.

Both are top notch hotels wrt service, location, amenities.
Old Feb 5, 2020, 7:08 pm
Original Member

Just to clarify that FB is Fullerton Bay which is across the road from the Fullerton hotel ... the post above uses "FB" when Fullerton hotel is meant. FB is a modern building purpse built as a hotel. Both FB and Fullerton hotels have a fine view of MBS and the fireworks, fwiw. Fullerton has a cigar bar on the roof, which is a rare amenity these days.
MSPeconomist likes this.
Old Feb 12, 2020, 2:26 am
Original Poster

Thanks for all the advice, it's a shame I can't go anymore because of the present medical emergency.
Old Mar 4, 2020, 8:20 pm
Original Member

Singapore is not a CDC level 2 or 3 country, so technically no medical emergency in SIN (yet). Unlike South Korea, Japan and Italy which are, as well as the more serious China and Iran. From a CDC standpoint same risk in UK and USA as in Singapore.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.