Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Changi Airport Layover immigration procedure?

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 9:40 am
Original Poster

Hi,

Later this month I am flying from Alberta, Canada to Phuket, Thailand. I have a layover at SFO for 11 hours, and then I fly straight to SIN with an 8 hour layover before flying to Thailand. I have confirmed twice now that my bags will be transferred all the way through, and I will not see them again once I leave them in Alberta until I get to Thailand (because all my flights were booked on one ticket). Because I am flying out of Calgary, I will go through USA pre-clearance customs in Calgary, so will not have to get my bags in SF, but I am confused about what will happen in Singapore. I have an 8 hour layover, so I am planning on heading into the city to see a few things. I had assumed my bags would be transferred for me during this layover period, but will I have to pick them up to go through customs at Changi, and then recheck them before heading into the city (or store them at a facility if it is too early to recheck?). Not sure if Singapore customs is the same, and you would need to go through it with your bags, or if it is different because I am on a layover?

Clarification would be helpful if anyone has an idea of what happens!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 10:48 am

As long as your layover is less than 24 hours and it’s all on the same ticket, then yes they should be able to check your bags all the way to Thailand. They will transfer your bags in Siingapore for you so you won’t need to worry about them. Just make sure at check in that the bag is tagged all the way to HKT. It doesn’t matter for immigration in Singapore for your bags, whether you’re staying airside for transit or entering the country during your layover. Enjoy your trip!
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:16 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by Merlinrnr
As long as your layover is less than 24 hours and it’s all on the same ticket, then yes they should be able to check your bags all the way to Thailand. They will transfer your bags in Siingapore for you so you won’t need to worry about them. Just make sure at check in that the bag is tagged all the way to HKT. It doesn’t matter for immigration in Singapore for your bags, whether you’re staying airside for transit or entering the country during your layover. Enjoy your trip!
Thanks for the answer! Sounds good!
Not sure if you are familiar with Singapore immigration, but any idea what I would put on the arrival card for address of destination in Singapore if I am just going into the city and seeing some sights?
Old Jun 1, 2019, 3:33 pm

Programs: QF WP
I’ve previously just written “transit” in the address in Singapore box
tvhead likes this.
Old Jun 2, 2019, 7:16 pm

Originally Posted by nancypants
I’ve previously just written “transit” in the address in Singapore box
I agree. I’ve also always just written Transit.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 3:36 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
Even if the bags cannot be through-checked, you can use the air side transit desk at SIN. They can retrieve bags from carousel and transfer it to the next flight on your behalf, as the airlines involved already have inter-line agreements.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.