Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Best British style pub in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:57 am
Original Poster

Best British style pub in Singapore?

Traveling in late Jun 2019 for 10 days with a business colleague who loves a good British pub experience, We are staying at the JW Marriott at 30 Beach Rd. Any suggestions?
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:10 pm

Originally Posted by gilkman
Traveling in late Jun 2019 for 10 days with a business colleague who loves a good British pub experience, We are staying at the JW Marriott at 30 Beach Rd. Any suggestions?
What would your colleague define as a good British pub experience? Larger louts? LOL

Seriously though, I've been to a lot of pubs/drinking establishments here and almost none of them represent my experiences of a British pub.

I find most pubs here are either dank places on Boat Quay with drink pushers or American style sports bars.
Old Jun 11, 2019, 9:59 pm

Programs: BA, SQ
As a Brit living in Singapore I can't say there's a place with a British pub feel that I've found. In that I mean there aren't any really traditional "local" feeling pubs.
Grant you there are a lot of bars based on British pubs but you can't get the feel as it's the people and their characters that make a pub and not the decor.

What does your colleague consider a good British pub experience? A cosy atmosphere with roaring fire, a pint of "real" ale and a packet of pork scratchings

You're in Singapore, embrace their pub/bar culture instead!
tentseller likes this.
Old Jun 15, 2019, 9:34 pm

Slightly strange question as what I think of a British pub (small, cosy, roaring fire etc) would be very out of place in Singapore!

There is The Red Lion at Balmoral Plaza, where you can get served fsh and chips from the adjacent "legit" shop. But as the others have said - embrace Singapore style instead ^
Old Jun 16, 2019, 5:24 pm

The closest "feel" I've got is the Tavern at the Tanglin Club - which is a members only club. You might be able to get in if you have a reciprocal membership elsewhere.
But bear in mind that a pub in the UK is a great social leveler. The Tanglin Club is super expensive to join.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.