Community
Wiki Posts
Search

SIN 11 hour overnight layover questions

Search this Thread

Old Jun 1, 2019, 1:20 pm

Programs: UA-Plat, UA-MM, Hertz PC, HH, APEC ABTC
Originally Posted by Zorak
Meh. I was lured there on my first trip to Singapore by descriptions such as this one and yeah, it's large, but when you get down to it, it's an electronics/retail store and we have Fry's etc.
Mustafa's charms will depend upon the perspective of the visitor. But it's much more than just electronics and retail. There is an entire floor devoted to groceries. A visitor who is interested in Indian cuisine will be amazed at the wide variety of spices and spice blends. A little box with all the spices for several batches of butter chicken is only a dollar or two. And the simple instructions produce very good results. This is also a fun place to pick up previously unknown snacks and treats, either to enjoy on the onward journey, or to offer as gifts (and bribes) to family and friends.
Zorak likes this.
Old Jul 8, 2019, 12:24 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA MM 1K, AA MM Gold, Marriott LT Platinum
Originally Posted by invisible
I wrote couple of posts in past - one here and second here

Few suggestions for your specific case, if you want to stay up whole night - assuming that when you land, you just woke up and have not problem keep it next 10 hours.

- Night safari, you will have 1.15h till you land and last entry. Theoretically possible if you are the first to get out and walking/immigration does not take more than 10-15 min. Driving from Changi to zoo would take 30-40min, and it will be around SGD $40-50 range
- Gardens By the Bay at night is great and well as walking around Marina Bay.
- Ce La Vi on top of Marina Bay Sands stays open till 3:30AM. One Altitude and couple of other places stay that late as well. All of them charge for entrance - $20-$40, however at Ce La Vi you will get vouchers for the entrance price you can spend et bar. Be ready for sticker shock - 0.33l mineral water costs there $15 and up
- Lantern on top of Fullerton Bay Hotel, opposite of Marina Bay Sands stays open till 2AM - no cover charge but prices are in the range of MBS
- In terms of walking - plenty of options. Walk from Raffles/Fullerton Hotel till Clarke Quay, go other side, come back and continue walking around Marina Bay
- As people said already - Mustafa. You can easily get lost there, literally. It is an experience
- Club Street around Telok Ayer. As name suggests, it is all clubs and bars, but what time they close - no idea.
- Come back at airport around 6AM and stroll around Jewel for couple of hours
- Night time food: you can eat at Ce La Vi and other above mentioned places (including in/around Mustafa). For specifically hawker food your best and most interesting options would be to go around Geylang Road. Mongkok Dim Sum is open 24h and walking around Geylang area at night, especially side streets on from Lorong 4 till Lorong 20 is quite entertaining.

Good luck. You will have plenty of options. Don't forget to come back and write experiences.

If you will be using taxi to go to zoo, back and around, expect that you will spend more than $100 total due to night surcharges. You might have better luck with Grab and Gojek, but not guaranteed. On friday night Grab wanted $45 to take my home from Rafles. Usually it costs $12.
Just back from the trip. Thanks again for the suggestions.

I passed on the zoo & Mustafa, but spent most of my time on the following:
- Gardens By the Bay with a walk around Marina Bay.
- Skipped Ce La Vi on top of Marina Bay Sands but spent time on the extended platform just below it marveling at the nearly 360 degree view.
- Took your advice to "walk from Raffles/Fullerton Hotel till Clarke Quay, go other side, come back and continue walking around Marina Bay"

The humidity was brutal, so I ended up heading back to the airport around 2am, which gave me time to explore Jewel and the newly-completed Canopy Park before it closed for the night.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.