Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Singapore Malaysia RTS saga continues

Search this Thread

Old May 21, 2019, 11:07 pm
Original Poster

Singapore Malaysia RTS saga continues

After a few delays ... another delay [Singapore, Malaysia to defer Johor Baru-Woodlands RTS Link till Sept 30]

At the same time Malaysia will reimburse Singapore S$600k for the inconvenience.

Will it ever get built?
Old May 22, 2019, 4:09 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: lots of shiny metal cards
Seen from here, it's unbelievable how much they can to and fro over a very short line. We're not talking Trans-Siberian Railway here, for crying out loud.

In general, MY-SG crossings are made as complicated as can - with a bit of political goodwill (which is missing, obviously) they could have joint MY and SG controls at both ends of both causeways, travellers and goods having to stop only once to be processed by both countries.

Even during the Cold War years, Hungary and Austria managed to do this on their respective railways.
Old May 23, 2019, 2:13 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by SQTraveller
Will it ever get built?
Ever - yes. Will you live to witness it - another question...
Old May 23, 2019, 3:09 am
Original Poster

Originally Posted by invisible
Ever - yes. Will you live to witness it - another question...
HAHAHAHA!!!!!!
Old May 23, 2019, 7:14 pm

Programs: HH Diamond, GHA Titanium
Originally Posted by WilcoRoger
... with a bit of political goodwill (which is missing, obviously) they could have joint MY and SG controls at both ends of both causeways, travellers and goods having to stop only once to be processed by both countries.
The KTM shuttle train departing Singapore is set up this way. You hop from the SG immigration/customs room to the MY immigration/customs room in the SG building. So there is precedent for such an arrangement but as you said ... no political will to implement it for the other crossings. Doesn't help now that the anti-Singapore Mahathir is back on the throne either

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.