Community
Wiki Posts
Search

2 days or 3 days in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:24 am

Programs: UA Gold MM, Honors Diamond, Marriott Gold, Hertz President’s Circle
Originally Posted by Eltham
Sentosa is the one place I would definitely avoid.
I'm with you on avoiding Sentosa.

I was in Singapore with a friend for her first visit earlier this month (my seventh). It was one of four cities we visited in Asia but the only one she would be interested in going back to. Spent two days there and still didn't get to see everything that we could have seen. It also took us some time to recover from jet lag.

I always recommend the Hippo hop on/hop off bus to get a good layout. There's now 7 routes available within the city and it can be a savings if you plan on heading out to the zoo. They also now drop off at the Botanical Garden near the National Orchid Garden which deserves a few hours of your time.

We certainly could have spent more time walking through neighborhoods and temples than we did. I hit just a few high points that I love to visit.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:52 am

Programs: Holder of six "persona non-grata" awards
Day 1: Eat chilli crab
Day 2: Eat chilli crab
Day 3. Eat chilli crab

....'nuff said said.
dhammer53 likes this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:28 pm
Community Director Emerita

The issue is the following:

2 days Singapore and 6 days Bali
or
3 days Singapore and 5 days Bali

You can make either choice and find plenty to do to keep you interested. But think about where it will be easiest to return. For me, that's Singapore. It's a major hub airport for that area of Asia. Bali is not, it is a destination. So for me, I'd be inclined to spend 6 days in Bali, thinking it will be more difficult to return. I'd also look at where I need to be for the wedding in Bali. If in the south, I'd book some of the other nights in the Ubud area, the cultural center of the island.

And yes, the volcano is a concern though it will be regardless of 5 days or 6 days.
dhammer53 and fiona like this.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 12:54 pm

Programs: most of them
Jet lag can be a problem no matter what class of service you're in.

I think the thing that always strikes me about Singapore is how amazingly humid it is. That can really slow you down. Personally I enjoy Singapore a lot and can always find things to do. I am headed back in a few weeks for 4+ days.

Bali has some nice places to visit as well of course. I am not a beach person. So sitting at a beach resort has no interest for me. But if that's something you enjoy there's plenty of it there. I liked Ubud more than Nusa Dua. I am not sure exactly where the volcano is and I suppose no one knows for sure what its impact will be between now and May. I spent a week or so in Bali a few years ago seeing the historic sights around the island (and spent several days in Yogyakarta as well). The thing about sightseeing was that the narrow roads and heavy traffic meant it took a while to get from place to place.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:48 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K / *G, Marriott Bonvoy Gold; Avis PC
Originally Posted by glennaa11
Jet lag can be a problem no matter what class of service you're in.

I think the thing that always strikes me about Singapore is how amazingly humid it is. That can really slow you down. Personally I enjoy Singapore a lot and can always find things to do. I am headed back in a few weeks for 4+ days.

Bali has some nice places to visit as well of course. I am not a beach person. So sitting at a beach resort has no interest for me. But if that's something you enjoy there's plenty of it there. I liked Ubud more than Nusa Dua. I am not sure exactly where the volcano is and I suppose no one knows for sure what its impact will be between now and May. I spent a week or so in Bali a few years ago seeing the historic sights around the island (and spent several days in Yogyakarta as well). The thing about sightseeing was that the narrow roads and heavy traffic meant it took a while to get from place to place.
I mean not a big beach person either, so the question is really whether or not there is enough non-beach stuff to keep it interesting. We will be staying near Depensar (Grand Hyatt), which I venture to guess is not as close to the non-beach stuff.

Re: Singapore, the humidity is one thing I am not a fan of. I absolutely loathe hot, humid weather, and SIN has that in spades.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 1:56 pm

Programs: Flying Blue PFL; IHG Rewards Club Diamond; HHonors Silver
Originally Posted by Eltham
Sentosa is the one place I would definitely avoid.
Absolutely, Fort Siloso is the only interesting thing on the island. In principle cycling there would be good, but not in normal Singapore temperatures.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 3:25 pm

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Originally Posted by fozziedoggie
Day 1: Eat chilli crab
Day 2: Eat chilli crab
Day 3. Eat chilli crab

....'nuff said said.
...and only insiders know that you shuld fly to Kuching for seafood. 60RM for 1kg of lobsters... I think enough said.

Originally Posted by Ardecos
Absolutely, Fort Siloso is the only interesting thing on the island. In principle cycling there would be good, but not in normal Singapore temperatures.
As I said - after 6PM it is breeze.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 8:04 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by invisible
...and only insiders know that you shuld fly to Kuching for seafood. 60RM for 1kg of lobsters... I think enough said.

As I said - after 6PM it is breeze.
I have never use SG$ for seafood in SingMa, always RM.
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:04 pm

Originally Posted by tentseller
I have never use SG$ for seafood in SingMa, always RM.
Could you clarify what you wanted to say?
Old Sep 25, 2017, 10:22 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could you clarify what you wanted to say?
Seafood so expensive in S'pore, lah!
Old Sep 25, 2017, 11:09 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37
I will be traveling to Bali for a wedding next May and will be visiting Singapore for a little before flying on to DPS. Have never been before, but I wanted people's opinions on whether an extra day in Singapore would be worth it (vs. an extra day in Bali, which would be 5 days total if we stayed in Singapore for 3 days). My friends who have been to Singapore say it's not worth a long stay, which pushes me towards the 2-day limit. However, I imagine that there will be some jet lag, and being in a big city-state would be a nice place to catch up on sleep. If relevant, I will be arriving early morning on the new LAX-SIN flight on UA as well (thankfully in business class), and planning to fly SIN-DPS on SQ on one of the morning flights.

Thanks for any advice!

Stay longer..
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:07 am

Seafood so expensive in S'pore, lah!
Yep, can't deny that.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 8:23 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

As much as I relish my early years, the food memories in HK and SG, I just can't afford to eat seafood at these two places.

I reside in HK and spend about 30-40 day in SG on business. I have my seafood feast in Malaysia and China, I have HSBC Premier account denominated in RM and RMB to satisfy my cravings.
Old Sep 26, 2017, 9:06 pm

I have my seafood feast in Malaysia
Could you share places?
and China, I have HSBC Premier account denominated in RM
And how HSBC Premier helps with seafood?
Old Sep 27, 2017, 12:25 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Could you share places?

And how HSBC Premier helps with seafood?
I can send you the coordinates/front of the place photo when I go. Usually, I go with someone who knows where these places are. They drive and I pay for dinner.

My seafood fund in RM and RMB will not be at the mercy of currency fluctuations and makes the cost of replenishing them reasonable.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.