FlyerTalk Forums

FlyerTalk Forums (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/index.php)
-   Singapore (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore-510/)
-   -   2 days or 3 days in Singapore? (https://www.flyertalk.com/forum/singapore/1868470-2-days-3-days-singapore.html)

PsiFighter37 Sep 23, 2017 11:22 am

2 days or 3 days in Singapore?

I will be traveling to Bali for a wedding next May and will be visiting Singapore for a little before flying on to DPS. Have never been before, but I wanted people's opinions on whether an extra day in Singapore would be worth it (vs. an extra day in Bali, which would be 5 days total if we stayed in Singapore for 3 days). My friends who have been to Singapore say it's not worth a long stay, which pushes me towards the 2-day limit. However, I imagine that there will be some jet lag, and being in a big city-state would be a nice place to catch up on sleep. If relevant, I will be arriving early morning on the new LAX-SIN flight on UA as well (thankfully in business class), and planning to fly SIN-DPS on SQ on one of the morning flights.

Thanks for any advice!

Ardecos Sep 23, 2017 2:17 pm

I have just returned from seven days in Singapore and I would recommend staying as long as possible. There is more than enough things to keep you busy for three, or more, days, especially if you want to take it easy to recover from jet lag. The city is very easy to get around but the one consideration is that Singapore is expensive.

PsiFighter37 Sep 23, 2017 2:24 pm

Originally Posted by Ardecos (Post 28850622)
I have just returned from seven days in Singapore and I would recommend staying as long as possible. There is more than enough things to keep you busy for three, or more, days, especially if you want to take it easy to recover from jet lag. The city is very easy to get around but the one consideration is that Singapore is expensive.

Expense is not really an issue here - just interested more in if people think that it is worth it (especially measured against a day in Bali, where I have also never been).

HawaiiO Sep 23, 2017 3:52 pm

Really depends on what u like to do/see.

Singapore is more of a big city with attractions like the Zoo, Botanical gardens, Bird park, food(large variety).

Bali is more of a town/resort place with beaches and a mountain/hill part.

Since u are on business class, sleep/lag would be less of an issue.

There are quite a few older posts on this forum which talks about what there is to see/do in Singapore.

injian Sep 23, 2017 7:20 pm

I’ve stayed 2 days in singapore and it was not enough. There was so much to see and do, especially if you love food. 3 days is a good minimum but be warned that you will want to stay longer. :)

tentseller Sep 23, 2017 7:54 pm

Originally Posted by injian (Post 28851386)
I’ve stayed 2 days in singapore and it was not enough. There was so much to see and do, especially if you love food. 3 days is a good minimum but be warned that you will want to stay longer. :)

Food tour of SG is really limited by one's appetite. There is only so much you can eat in one 24hr day.

number_6 Sep 23, 2017 8:00 pm

Its quite a contrast to Bali, almost the opposite and well worth spending as much time in Singapore as you can ... quite remarkable diversity. Also it is mostly alcohol that is expensive (think $10 beers), otherwise Singapore costs less than comparable US (hotels and food). Also lots of free attractions such as walking along the river (more fun than it sounds).
For Bali you have the additional complication of the volcano situation (which can shut down flights for a week or more, and has done so in the past). As volcano is active now, it should be safe by next May.

YuropFlyer Sep 23, 2017 8:05 pm

Originally Posted by number_6 (Post 28851469)
Its quite a contrast to Bali, almost the opposite and well worth spending as much time in Singapore as you can ... quite remarkable diversity. Also it is mostly alcohol that is expensive (think $10 beers), otherwise Singapore costs less than comparable US (hotels and food). Also lots of free attractions such as walking along the river (more fun than it sounds).
For Bali you have the additional complication of the volcano situation (which can shut down flights for a week or more, and has done so in the past). As volcano is active now, it should be safe by next May.

I tend to disagree. Hotels in Singapore can be extremely expensive (150$ per night for an OK 4*, 200$ per night for an OK 5*) - and food only is cheap if you eat in "cheap" places like Hawker centers. Once you go for proper dining, it's expensive.

Drinks are expensive in convenience stores (5 SGD for a beer), almost as expensive in supermarkets, reasonable expensive in Hawker centers (6.5 SGD for a beer - unfortunately new laws made beer ladies and late night drinking completely go away), and expensive again in restaurants/pubs (18++ SGD)

Basically Singapore in 2017 is quite a bit more boring than it was like 5 years ago. And a tad more expensive, overall. Still a nice place for a couple of days. So if you've not been there before, and not planing on coming back soon either, having an extra day most certainly won't hurt.

Antonio8069 Sep 23, 2017 8:07 pm

disagree

Originally Posted by Ardecos (Post 28850622)

An extra day in Bali v. Singapore? I could not disagree more....

Two days is more than enough time to see Singapore. To begin, sign up for the free city tour in the arrivals area of Changi Airport. It is a 1/2 day tour, returns to Changi - or - you can do what I did - use the free bus to get to your hotel. Have a rest, then walk to Chinatown for dinner.

The only organized tour I recommend is to Sentosa.

Make sure you check out the Singapore underground - rtn to the airport? It is clean, fast, well marked.

Wilbur Sep 24, 2017 7:48 am

Unless you are a serious hawker stall lover, board a plane and go directly to Bali.

Singapore is the cleanest city in Asia, but it doesn't have beaches, mountains, surfing, etc.

cslewis Sep 24, 2017 8:38 am

I would definitely book a training session at Evolve MMA!

YuropFlyer Sep 24, 2017 9:15 am

Originally Posted by Wilbur (Post 28852624)
Unless you are a serious hawker stall lover, board a plane and go directly to Bali.

Singapore is the cleanest city in Asia, but it doesn't have beaches, mountains, surfing, etc.

It does have nice hiking trails though, and while I'd give Sentosa a miss, it has nice parks along the coastline.

Singapore most certainly is "Asia Light" in every regard, but this also has quite a few charms.

Line80 Sep 24, 2017 11:02 am

Originally Posted by PsiFighter37 (Post 28850136)
I will be traveling to Bali for a wedding next May and will be visiting Singapore for a little before flying on to DPS. Have never been before, but I wanted people's opinions on whether an extra day in Singapore would be worth it (vs. an extra day in Bali, which would be 5 days total if we stayed in Singapore for 3 days). My friends who have been to Singapore say it's not worth a long stay, which pushes me towards the 2-day limit. However, I imagine that there will be some jet lag, and being in a big city-state would be a nice place to catch up on sleep. If relevant, I will be arriving early morning on the new LAX-SIN flight on UA as well (thankfully in business class), and planning to fly SIN-DPS on SQ on one of the morning flights.

Thanks for any advice!

I always stay 2 days in singapore. After 2 days it gets boring.:p

Eltham Sep 24, 2017 1:42 pm

Originally Posted by Antonio8069 (Post 28851488)
An extra day in Bali v. Singapore? I could not disagree more....

Two days is more than enough time to see Singapore. To begin, sign up for the free city tour in the arrivals area of Changi Airport. It is a 1/2 day tour, returns to Changi - or - you can do what I did - use the free bus to get to your hotel. Have a rest, then walk to Chinatown for dinner.

The only organized tour I recommend is to Sentosa.

Make sure you check out the Singapore underground - rtn to the airport? It is clean, fast, well marked.

Sentosa is the one place I would definitely avoid.

invisible Sep 25, 2017 3:52 am

I could understand sentiment towards Sentosa as the center of soulless materialism (in addition to Orchard), however - as I local - trust me there is really good activity there - biking.

After introduction of these bike sharing apps/programs, I and my wife weekly around 6PM go to HarbourFront/VivoCity, grab bikes there and head towards Sentosa.

Biking during sunset and especially during weekdays is charming, romantic and pleasant activity - almost no people on Palawan beach side. You can bike in, then go to the Cove, come back, go towards Siloso and then come back to HF/Vivo via monorail.

Obviously there are other great biking options too. Yesterday we biked from Gardens By the Bay to the end of East Coast Park. It it was free - all these apps currently have promotions running bike rentals for free.