Wiki Posts
Search

United Airlines arrival connecting to Scoot

Search this Thread

Old Jul 31, 2017, 3:09 pm
Original Poster

Programs: United
United Airlines arrival connecting to Scoot

I understand both United and Scoot use T2. I have a 615a arrival on United from SFO and am considering a 755a departure to HKT on Scoot; just 1:40. I will have only carryon luggage. Can I just walk from my United arrival gate to the Scoot departure gate (both in T2), or do I need to go through immigration? Thanks for the advice!
Old Jul 31, 2017, 5:42 pm

Programs: UA Premier Platinum
Unlike in the US, where every arriving passenger has to go through immigration, you don’t have to do that in Singapore. I would assume there is a Scoot transfer/transit counter in T2 where you can get your boarding pass for your Hong Kong flight. The Singapore airport is the most efficient airports I have flown through. All the terminals are connected airside, and you can move within the terminals easily, if necessary. And even if you have to go through immigration and have to go check in to a different flight, things work smoothly.

I am assuming that this is two separate tickets/PNRs. The only concern that I would have is that there is a possibility that the US flight might be delayed and you might miss your Scoot flight, they probably won’t accommodate you on a later flight.
Old Jul 31, 2017, 9:39 pm

Programs: UA 1K, 1.6MM bis
Short (tldr) answer:
You may not want to book the 7:50AM flight to Phuket (HKT), mainly because of potential unreliable arrival times on UA1.

Long but anally complete response:
The answer to your question is unclear because Scoot is a low cost carrier, thus amenities and practices we accept for granted on full service legacy airlines (such as UA) may not hold. In any case the issue is about Scoot's check in practices. You are purchasing two distinct tickets with two separate PNRs so no interlining is possible (it wouldn't be anyway given Scoot is low cost).

Scoot itself is clear as mud on transits.

http://www.flyscoot.com/en/fly-scoot...changi-airport

Point 1 says to stay in the transit area and then makes reference to their Scoot thru service, while point 4 says you have to legally enter Singapore. Sooge_sj is correct in describing the transfer desk facility on airside but with due respect to him/her, it is unclear if non Scoot-thru passengers can use this. One sticking point is that there is a charge to bring on board carry on baggage more than 10kg; I don't see why the overweight onboard bag fee can't be paid at the transfer desk but crazier things have happened (so don't take anything for granted). The good news is that if you have to go to the check in counter at Departures, Singapore Immigration and Customs is incredibly quick; it's possible to be from jetway to exiting Customs in 20 minutes. YMMV of course but 30 minutes can be safely assumed. Entry into airside (Immigration formalities) is just as quick although the actual check in might be slowish.

What you should do on arrival is to head directly to the transfer desk and see if they can check you in (it's either Transfer Desk E or F depending which terminal finger your gate is located). If so, great. If not, go through Singapore Immigration and Customs, then proceed upstairs to Departures to check in there (row 10).

T2 map for transfer desk. See transfer E next to gate E1 or transfer F next to F30. http://www.changiairport.com/en/maps.html#map/T2L2/
check in row http://www.changiairport.com/en/flight/airlines.html

You may not want to book the morning Scoot flight you're thinking of but the evening flight at 6:25PM given UA1 might be delayed arriving in SIN. The arrival today (August 1 this end) was at 7:19AM. These delays are often due to hiccups departing from the US end. It would make sense for you to research the history of UA1's arrival times into SIN to help you decide which of the two Scoot flights you want to book. (BTW if you book the early evening flight, Changi Airport offers a three hour Singapore city tour that might be interesting if you have never been to Singapore before. This will help kill some time.) Or you might think about flying Thai AirAsia (FD) or Jetstar (3K) instead especially if their flight timings are more convenient.

Last edited by dsgtc0408; Jul 31, 2017 at 10:02 pm Reason: add other lcc carriers connecting SIN/HKT
Old Jul 31, 2017, 10:13 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by dsgtc0408
Short (tldr) answer:
You may not want to book the 7:50AM flight to Phuket (HKT), mainly because of potential unreliable arrival times on UA1.

Long but anally complete response:
The answer to your question is unclear because Scoot is a low cost carrier, thus amenities and practices we accept for granted on full service legacy airlines (such as UA) may not hold. In any case the issue is about Scoot's check in practices. You are purchasing two distinct tickets with two separate PNRs so no interlining is possible (it wouldn't be anyway given Scoot is low cost).

Scoot itself is clear as mud on transits.

http://www.flyscoot.com/en/fly-scoot...changi-airport

Point 1 says to stay in the transit area and then makes reference to their Scoot thru service, while point 4 says you have to legally enter Singapore. Sooge_sj is correct in describing the transfer desk facility on airside but with due respect to him/her, it is unclear if non Scoot-thru passengers can use this. One sticking point is that there is a charge to bring on board carry on baggage more than 10kg; I don't see why the overweight onboard bag fee can't be paid at the transfer desk but crazier things have happened (so don't take anything for granted). The good news is that if you have to go to the check in counter at Departures, Singapore Immigration and Customs is incredibly quick; it's possible to be from jetway to exiting Customs in 20 minutes. YMMV of course but 30 minutes can be safely assumed. Entry into airside (Immigration formalities) is just as quick although the actual check in might be slowish.

What you should do on arrival is to head directly to the transfer desk and see if they can check you in (it's either Transfer Desk E or F depending which terminal finger your gate is located). If so, great. If not, go through Singapore Immigration and Customs, then proceed upstairs to Departures to check in there (row 10).

T2 map for transfer desk. See transfer E next to gate E1 or transfer F next to F30. http://www.changiairport.com/en/maps.html#map/T2L2/
check in row http://www.changiairport.com/en/flight/airlines.html

You may not want to book the morning Scoot flight you're thinking of but the evening flight at 6:25PM given UA1 might be delayed arriving in SIN. The arrival today (August 1 this end) was at 7:19AM. These delays are often due to hiccups departing from the US end. It would make sense for you to research the history of UA1's arrival times into SIN to help you decide which of the two Scoot flights you want to book. (BTW if you book the early evening flight, Changi Airport offers a three hour Singapore city tour that might be interesting if you have never been to Singapore before. This will help kill some time.) Or you might think about flying Thai AirAsia (FD) or Jetstar (3K) instead especially if their flight timings are more convenient.
Transfer desk at SIN does not issue boarding passes for some LCC's unless you have just flown in on the same airline.
Old Aug 2, 2017, 1:50 am

Programs: Nothing anymore after 20 years
Short answer- don't fly scoot if you have other options. For details - search FT with 'scoot' in subj - will give you an idea.

Last edited by invisible; Aug 2, 2017 at 2:54 am
Old Aug 9, 2017, 7:11 am

Originally Posted by invisible
Short answer- don't fly scoot if you have other options. For details - search FT with 'scoot' in subj - will give you an idea.
lol! I've been looking at them for some flights recently!!!!
Old Feb 20, 2018, 8:39 pm
Moderator: Budget Travel forum & Credit Card Programs, FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA lifetime MM / *A Gold
Just booked UA to SIN and considering several options, including Scoot - they seem to have the lowest prices to my next destination. 10 Kg isn't much for carryon with Scoot, so my question is, would it be possible to check luggage and interline it to my final destination, as I'd hate to have to enter Singapore just to check my luggage. Trying to avoid too many stamps in my passport as I'll spend time in Singapore before my return flight.
Old Feb 20, 2018, 9:16 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UA Platinum MM; DL Silver; IHG Diamond Ambassador; Hilton Gold; Marriott Gold
I flew UA from LAX-SIN connecting to a separately-booked TZ flight from SIN-HKT just last month. With a T2 arrival to T2 departure, you can go from gate to gate, while staying airside the whole time. I was able to collect my TZ boarding pass before I even departed the U.S. using web check-in.

Having paid for an extra legroom seat, as I always do on Asian LCCs, I though TZ was fine.
Old Aug 22, 2018, 8:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K MM, AA Gold, SPG Plat, HH Gold
Flew UA LAX-SIN then Scoot SIN-HAN. I couldn't get a boarding pass through Scoot mobile/web likely due to the doc check/visa requirement for Vietnam. The Scoot transfer desk airside wouldn't give me a boarding pass either. Might be different for a non doc check required destination.

Landed 735am, asked at the Scoot transfer desk where I was direct to go through Singapore immigrations. Landside I was issued a paper boarding pass via a kiosk, doc check (visa) landside by Scoot and then back through passport control/security and at the gate by 830. Plenty of time to spare for a 955am flight. I'd add 20 minutes if you needed to pickup/check bags.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.