Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Singapore Changi Airport - independent transit tour allowed?

Old Aug 13, 18, 1:02 pm
Original Poster

I am coming from the UK on something of a mileage run around SE Asia (and visiting my favourite airports in the process), and plan to land at SIN at 07.30hrs and then have a connecting flight with SQ to HKG the following day. This gives me 24hrs to enjoy Changi Airport, with 18hrs booked in the Aerotel Transit Hotel. I will have my own room, tv, shower, and many dining options (and the chance to enjoy the airport facilities) - but if I wanted to spend some hours downtown, i.e. Marina Bay, Sentosa, maybe a trip to the Zoo, then what are the regulations?

I know there is a free bus tour for transiting passengers, but I have no interest in that. Can I just pass thru immigration and then return a few hours later having had my cocktail at the beach?

All my luggage is being kept with SQ as the flights are booked on one itinerary.
Old Aug 13, 18, 1:33 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Originally Posted by A380 Flyer View Post
Can I just pass thru immigration and then return a few hours later having had my cocktail at the beach?
Would be helpful to know what passport you hold. If UK, yes, you can enter Singapore and come back at your leisure before your next flight.
Old Aug 13, 18, 2:42 pm
Original Poster

Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
Would be helpful to know what passport you hold. If UK, yes, you can enter Singapore and come back at your leisure before your next flight.
Ah yes, I am British.

I know I don't need a Visa, as I come to Singapore at least once every year. However, I am just curious as to whether I can come and go from the airport at my whim despite not having any hotel booked (they usually ask this, albeit casually, at Singaporean Immigration on arrival).
Old Aug 13, 18, 5:32 pm

Ah yes, I am British.

I know I don't need a Visa, as I come to Singapore at least once every year. However, I am just curious as to whether I can come and go from the airport at my whim despite not having any hotel booked (they usually ask this, albeit casually, at Singaporean Immigration on arrival).
​​​​​​(should move this to the Singapore forum)

You have the transit hotel booked. That counts.

Just note that you can only enter&exit Singapore once. You cannot enter singapore, then exit Singapore( go thru customs) for your airside hotel at night, and then enter Singapore again the next morning for a quick trip)

The crown plaza hotel landside has pretty good reviews...

Also, since you booked on SQ one ticket, check if you qualify for
http://www.changiairport.com/en/pass...programme.html

Last edited by paperwastage; Aug 13, 18 at 5:40 pm
Old Aug 13, 18, 6:44 pm

Programs: UA 1K, AS MVPG 75K, Marriott Gold, Hertz PC
Ah yes, I am British.

It's totally fine even if you don't book a hotel. I've often just written "Transit" on the address part of the card with a 'duration of stay' of 1 day while I met a friend for lunch. I doubt immigration would bat an eye on you doing something similar on a low risk passport like yours.

The point about one entry/exit is worth noting since once you 'exit' Singapore back into the airport, you should be there until your flight.
clubeurope likes this.
Old Aug 13, 18, 8:40 pm
Moderator: Delta SkyMiles, Luxury Hotels, TravelBuzz! and Italy

Moving thread to the Singapore, Asia Forum
Obscure2k
TravelBuzz Moderator
Old Aug 14, 18, 3:44 am
Ritz-Carlton Contributor BadgeAccor Contributor Badge

Programs: CX MPC Diamond, BAEC Gold
Originally Posted by pushmyredbutton View Post
It's totally fine even if you don't book a hotel. I've often just written "Transit" on the address part of the card with a 'duration of stay' of 1 day while I met a friend for lunch. I doubt immigration would bat an eye on you doing something similar on a low risk passport like yours.

The point about one entry/exit is worth noting since once you 'exit' Singapore back into the airport, you should be there until your flight.
+1 Indeed.

Additionally, to the OP, if you write transit, do remember your flight details tomorrow, as there is chance it will be asked (it has been in my experience). Also, just write the transit hotel in the accommodation box as well, it looks better that way.
Old Aug 15, 18, 2:53 pm

Programs: AC MM E50 , Former SPG, now Marriott LT Plat
Transit hotel for 18 hours is both depressing and expensive. If you are paying for 18 hours, and planning to go into town anyway, I would book a city hotel.
Larger room, better facilities, lower price..
If you are really an airport junkie, you can hang out a couple of hours on arrival, and check in a couple of hours early on departure.
estnet likes this.
Old Aug 16, 18, 10:13 am

Programs: IHG Spire Amb, Hilton Diamond, Hyatt Explorist, Bonvoy Gold, Hertz PC
+1 on the Crowne Plaza.
Old Sep 14, 18, 8:30 pm

Originally Posted by IluvSQ View Post
Transit hotel for 18 hours is both depressing and expensive. If you are paying for 18 hours, and planning to go into town anyway, I would book a city hotel.
Larger room, better facilities, lower price..
If you are really an airport junkie, you can hang out a couple of hours on arrival, and check in a couple of hours early on departure.
Totally agree on this, as the city is easily reachable by MRT.
Old Sep 14, 18, 11:57 pm

Programs: UA plat, spg plat, aa plat, marriott plat
I've had to exit and reenter in 10 minutes just b/c my luggage could not be through checked so that should not be a problem - but you HAVE to have your ticket to re enter the airport! So either have it in hand or make sure your timing allows a ticket desk to be open when you'll be returning the reenter.

Search this Thread