Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Destinations > Asia > Singapore
Reload this Page >

Changi layover advice

Changi layover advice

Old Sep 18, 2016, 9:07 pm
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
SIN-DPS is already booked so there is no changing that. For such a short ride, I don't care too much about comfort. I'm sure I'll be able to fall asleep after flying so many hours.

Coming back, I am not flying to DPS-SIN, I am making other stops and will be in SIN for a full day prior. It sounds like I may be able to use online checkin on UA and carry my bag to get into airside earlier
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:18 am
Original Poster

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Interesting, I stumbled across an online chat with Jetstar and they seem to indicate I can stay airside.

Hi, my name is Dale. How can I help you today?
Me: My confirmation number is XXXXXX
Dale: Let me assist you with your query. May I have your complete name please?
Me: XXXXXXXXX
Me: I will be arriving to Singapore on United Airlines on Oct 5 12:20am then traveling with you on JQ117 at 4:55am
Me: If I checkin online and carry my bag, may I stay airside (and do not exit immigration) and go directly to your gate?
Dale: Hello XXXXXX! Don't worry, I will assist you with your query. How are you doing today?
Me: fine
Dale: I am glad you are doing fine. For your query, it would be best to contact the concerning embassy.
Me: embassy?
Me: why?
Me: If I checkin for your flight online to get a boarding pass, may I go directly to your gate without going to your land-side checkin counter?
Dale: Yes.
Me: Do you have a transit counter that will allow me to check-in a bag with UA and have someone transfer the bag to your flight?
Me: or would I need to carry my bag
Dale: Kindly provide the phone number and email address on the booking.
Me: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Me: Note these flights are on separate tickets
Dale: Thank you. I can see that your flight was booked separately so you will need to get your checked baggage and need to recheck the baggage again.
Me: If I do not check the bag and carry it, can I go directly to your gate without exiting?
Dale: Do you mean that you would like to have a checked baggage as a carry on?
Me: My bag is small enough to meet United Airline's Carry on policy so I can carry the bag. However it is over JetStar's carry-on size limit. So I can have the bag with me and take it to the jet star gate. There, can an agent check the bag at the gate?
Me: OK, so just to clarify, I will arrive on UA on a separate ticket carrying my bags. If I use Jetstar On-line Web Checkin, I can obtain a boarding pass and go directly to your gate without exiting. At the gate, I can check in my bag utilizing the allowance I have purchased.
Me: ok, great
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:24 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: CX, DL, Nexus/GE, APEC
Originally Posted by eng3
Interesting, I stumbled across an online chat with Jetstar and they seem to indicate I can stay airside.
That was not my actual experience with Jetstar at SIN transfer desk.

After the third strike I stop flying to other SE Asai destinations from SIN on Jetstar. Passport space is too valuable for all the SG entry and exit stamps.

AirAsia to KUL and PEN, no problem.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 2:48 pm
Original Poster

Based on the guy's language, I'm not sure he really knows what he's talking about. I'm guessing I can't really stay airside.
Old Sep 20, 2016, 3:37 pm

Programs: AMEX AC CX UA AA DL
My previous experience with connecting to Jetstar from LH using air side transit:

- first attempt: we can't do that until Jetstar check-in is open, that would be X hours before flight departure

- second attempt (within x hours of departure): we can't do that because Jetstar doesn't have an interline agreement with LH

And I agree with tentseller. Air Asia is so much better than Jetstar, in the air and on the ground.
Old Sep 21, 2016, 10:37 pm

Programs: Aeroplan
Singapore Layover

Here is the YouTube video I created for anyone who want to make most out of their Layover in Singapore.

I basically have only 24 hours in total, with 18 hours to get of the airport and visit all the free attractions with as little money as possible.

The official guide is http://www.diytravelshow.com/singapore

Hope you all find it useful!

Search this Thread

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.