FlyerTalk Forums - View Single Post - Changi layover advice
View Single Post
Old Sep 20, 2016, 8:18 am
eng3

Programs: UA 1K 1MM, Marriott Gold, IHG Platinum, Raddison Platinum, Avis Presidents Club
Interesting, I stumbled across an online chat with Jetstar and they seem to indicate I can stay airside.

Hi, my name is Dale. How can I help you today?
Me: My confirmation number is XXXXXX
Dale: Let me assist you with your query. May I have your complete name please?
Me: XXXXXXXXX
Me: I will be arriving to Singapore on United Airlines on Oct 5 12:20am then traveling with you on JQ117 at 4:55am
Me: If I checkin online and carry my bag, may I stay airside (and do not exit immigration) and go directly to your gate?
Dale: Hello XXXXXX! Don't worry, I will assist you with your query. How are you doing today?
Me: fine
Dale: I am glad you are doing fine. For your query, it would be best to contact the concerning embassy.
Me: embassy?
Me: why?
Me: If I checkin for your flight online to get a boarding pass, may I go directly to your gate without going to your land-side checkin counter?
Dale: Yes.
Me: Do you have a transit counter that will allow me to check-in a bag with UA and have someone transfer the bag to your flight?
Me: or would I need to carry my bag
Dale: Kindly provide the phone number and email address on the booking.
Me: XXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXXX
Me: Note these flights are on separate tickets
Dale: Thank you. I can see that your flight was booked separately so you will need to get your checked baggage and need to recheck the baggage again.
Me: If I do not check the bag and carry it, can I go directly to your gate without exiting?
Dale: Do you mean that you would like to have a checked baggage as a carry on?
Me: My bag is small enough to meet United Airline's Carry on policy so I can carry the bag. However it is over JetStar's carry-on size limit. So I can have the bag with me and take it to the jet star gate. There, can an agent check the bag at the gate?
Me: OK, so just to clarify, I will arrive on UA on a separate ticket carrying my bags. If I use Jetstar On-line Web Checkin, I can obtain a boarding pass and go directly to your gate without exiting. At the gate, I can check in my bag utilizing the allowance I have purchased.
Me: ok, great