Search

Which hotel in Singapore?

Search this Thread

Old Oct 30, 2017, 11:23 am
Moderator, El Al and Marriott Bonvoy, FlyerTalk Evangelist
Hyatt Contributor BadgeMarriott Contributor Badge

Programs: SQ*G, Mar LTT, Hyatt Glb, AA LTG, LY, HH, IC, BA, DL, UA SLV
Originally Posted by SQ319
SO is better located within the CBD than the Westin for access to the MRT.
The Westin is about 150 steps from Downtown MRT which I noticed today has a straight shot to Expo which is one stop from Changi.

You are two stops from Chinatown.

A few stops to little India.

Change at Newton for one stop to Orchard.
Old Oct 30, 2017, 12:31 pm
Suspended

Programs: DL SM, UA MP.
Does the MRT have luggage racks?

Is it a viable option to take to/from the airport?
Old Oct 31, 2017, 1:37 am

No luggage racks. Viable if each person has one spinner.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 9:40 am

Yep, it's quite viable for the airport if you're traveling light. Many locals seem to use it for quick runs to the dining and shopping areas.
Old Oct 31, 2017, 7:11 pm

Originally Posted by yosithezet
The Westin is about 150 steps from Downtown MRT which I noticed today has a straight shot to Expo which is one stop from Changi.

You are two stops from Chinatown.

A few stops to little India.

Change at Newton for one stop to Orchard.
Good point! Forgot about the downtown line. I was referring to the Raffles Place MRT.
Old Nov 7, 2017, 9:42 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by SQ319
Good point! Forgot about the downtown line. I was referring to the Raffles Place MRT.
thats great..
Old Nov 10, 2017, 2:59 am

Programs: points traveller
anyone stayed at the HGI in little india? giving it a go next week as only $150 compared to $400 plus for the standard "5" stars
Old Nov 12, 2017, 12:00 am

Programs: KF Gold|VA Gold|HH Diamond|Kimpton IC|Hyatt Gold
I haven't heard many good things about HGI, so I've stayed away (even as a HHDiamond). A plus is that it's now very close to the newer Downtown line.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:01 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
anyone stayed at the HGI in little india? giving it a go next week as only $150 compared to $400 plus for the standard "5" stars
Was there a couple weeks ago. Very nice and convenient. I take the 9sgd airport/hotel shuttle. MRT is a couple blocks away.

I had a reservation for checkin Nov 17 but just had to cancel so was in the website last night. Hotel was 104 sgd, so check your dates and website -- may be cheaper today.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:22 pm
Suspended

Originally Posted by lking
Was there a couple weeks ago. Very nice and convenient. I take the 9sgd airport/hotel shuttle. MRT is a couple blocks away.

I had a reservation for checkin Nov 17 but just had to cancel so was in the website last night. Hotel was 104 sgd, so check your dates and website -- may be cheaper today.
Do you have a link for that airport shuttle?
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:41 pm

Programs: Delta DM 3+MM
Originally Posted by wco81
Do you have a link for that airport shuttle?
That airport shuttle is located at Ground Transportation. It's very easy to get to, located next to the Taxi queue. You just walk up to the kiosk/desk, tell them what hotel you want to go to, pay 9sgd and they'll give you a ticket and tell you where to sit and wait.

It runs 24 hours and I have never had more than 4 people on the bus with me. Wait time is usually 5-10 minutes.

Sorry, wish I knew how to put a picture on here because I took a picture and have a brochure, but there is no website listed. Here is what the brochure says: "Booking: self booking at Ground Transport Desk in Arrival Hall..."

Changi airport is very easy to maneuver. When you get to the Ground Transportation area, look around and very near the taxi queue will be this kiosk. Huge airport but very easy to find. "Airport Shuttle Service" or "Ground Transport Desk Shuttle Bus" should get you to the right spot.
Old Nov 12, 2017, 3:43 pm
Suspended

OK, thanks I'll note it.

I was thinking of Uber but if it doesn't take too long with the shuttle, saving money is too enticing.

OK, found a description of it online along with a link there to prebook but it doesn't sound like prebooking is necessary:

http://www.changiairport.com/en/tran...-services.html
Old Nov 18, 2017, 6:18 pm

Programs: points traveller
Originally Posted by lking

Originally Posted by oh_lol
I haven't heard many good things about HGI, so I've stayed away (even as a HHDiamond). A plus is that it's now very close to the newer Downtown line.
ended up staying during the week, and as noted - managed to snag a discounted rate of SGD150 from the original booking of ~$200.

location wise - not fantastic for down to raffles quay - about $15 in a taxi in the morning (more for uber as peak time starts about 730)

room was fine (although the pillows could be firmer), decent spread for a complimentary breakfast, gym was a bit sparse. didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but plenty of indian options around, including the well known banana leaf apolo from which i got ubereats.

would i stay again on a biz trip? no, location didn't really work for me.
would i consider for a leisure trip? at this price for sure, especially compared to some of the ordinary hotels at $350 and above.

a note - some locals warned that little india traffic is heavy during weekends so maybe something to consider.
Old Nov 18, 2017, 7:25 pm

Had you considered the MRT? The location is good for both green and blue lines.
Old Nov 24, 2017, 5:53 am

Programs: NEXUS, Aeroplan, SkyMiles, WestJet, IHG Platinum, IC Ambassador
Originally Posted by diningdecadence
ended up staying during the week, and as noted - managed to snag a discounted rate of SGD150 from the original booking of ~$200.

location wise - not fantastic for down to raffles quay - about $15 in a taxi in the morning (more for uber as peak time starts about 730)

room was fine (although the pillows could be firmer), decent spread for a complimentary breakfast, gym was a bit sparse. didn't eat in the hotel restaurant but plenty of indian options around, including the well known banana leaf apolo from which i got ubereats.

would i stay again on a biz trip? no, location didn't really work for me.
would i consider for a leisure trip? at this price for sure, especially compared to some of the ordinary hotels at $350 and above.

a note - some locals warned that little india traffic is heavy during weekends so maybe something to consider.
Thanks for posting this information. I've got a reservation at the HGI for 3 days in late December prior to a cruise and everyone's comments have been very useful. One slightly off-topic question, if I may. I'm going to need to get myself and some luggage from the HGI to the Marina Bay Cruise Center on a Saturday morning. I travel fairly light so would the MRT be a viable option or is that going to be too much of a haul?

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.