Go Back  FlyerTalk Forums > Miles&Points > Airlines and Mileage Programs > Singapore Airlines | KrisFlyer
Reload this Page >

Discover the All New Business Class Airbus A340-500

Community
Wiki Posts
Search

Discover the All New Business Class Airbus A340-500

Search this Thread

Old Aug 8, 2008, 6:13 am
Original Poster

Thumbs up Discover the All New Business Class Airbus A340-500

Singapore Airlines USA seems to have launched a very nice minisite at:

http://www.A345Business.com

Note that the Los Angeles flights commence 10 August 2008.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 4:22 pm

Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
Singapore Airlines USA seems to have launched a very nice minisite at:

http://www.A345Business.com

Note that the Los Angeles flights commence 10 August 2008.
and Note that the Los Angeles nonstop service is being reduced to 6 weekly effective immediately till 09SEP08.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 5:50 pm

WOW, I wonder if this will end just like TG had to park its planes.
Old Aug 8, 2008, 9:13 pm

The temporary reduction of the Tuesday SQ38/37 turn may have more to do with one aircraft being out for reconfiguration, plus the maintenance schedule for the remaining four. They dropped Tuesday for a while earlier this year.....now, it's been back to daily, and sho' nuff, some horrendous delays due to waiting on an aircraft.

Once the whole group of five is re-done, the LAX schedule goes back to daily, and stays that way (well, at least for now).
Old Aug 10, 2008, 3:49 pm
A FlyerTalk Posting Legend

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
A big to this change.

For $1500-1800, EE was the best way to travel to Asia - 20" wide seats, 38" pitch, huge IFE screens and good service.

If they can fill an entire A340 with all paid J from two US gateway cities, more power to them, but they just sent their entire EE market to the competition.

I think this project will eventually fail, and both routes will be cut.
Old Aug 10, 2008, 6:13 pm

Programs: Amanjunkie
I think their EWR-SIN service is doing ok, on my last flights it was quite full. I welcome the J only cabin as it makes it easier to get seats on the non-stop flight. ^
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:46 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AA EXP 3 MM; Marriott Bonvoy Lifetime Titanium Elite
I'm making a very last minute business trip to BKK tomorrow and will be on the EWR-SIN all J flight.

It looks like some rows may have blocked windows. Anyone know which those are?

Thanks!
Old Aug 11, 2008, 5:57 pm
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by bocastephen
A big to this change.

For $1500-1800, EE was the best way to travel to Asia - 20" wide seats, 38" pitch, huge IFE screens and good service.

If they can fill an entire A340 with all paid J from two US gateway cities, more power to them, but they just sent their entire EE market to the competition.

I think this project will eventually fail, and both routes will be cut.
I doubt SQ management is going to worry about losing the $1500 EE market to the competition if they can fill these planes with paid J class from these two cities. If you want the cheaper fare, you can always fly the multi-class planes and make an extra stop along the way.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 6:17 pm

Programs: United 1K, JAL Sapphire, SPG Lifetime Platinum, National Executive Elite, Hertz PC, Avis PC
Originally Posted by SFO777
I doubt SQ management is going to worry about losing the $1500 EE market to the competition if they can fill these planes with paid J class from these two cities. If you want the cheaper fare, you can always fly the multi-class planes and make an extra stop along the way.
That's the point - I don't think they can fill these aircraft. I see frequency reductions coming initially, then perhaps the loss of one of the cities next. I could be wrong, but given the cutbacks occurring in business travel, especially paid J, I think SQ's timing is bad.

As for 3-class? I'm not flying to Asia in standard economy.
Old Aug 11, 2008, 9:43 pm

Programs: AA, AS, CI, DL, UA
Filling business passengers from EWR should not be a problem, but from LAX? I seriously doubt as there are numerous competitions there. Passengers who would like Premium Economy seats may take BR and transit in TPE, or pay for cheaper BR/CI Business fares via TPE, KE/OZ Business fares via ICN, or CX Business fares via HKG. There are also cheaper options via PVG and CAN, but the services are probably not that worthy.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 2:33 am
Original Poster

The EWR loads speak for themselves quite frankly.

As for LAX, well it's hard to tell but it is clear that people are willing to pay for what is the best Business Class in the world. Yes there is competition but as the market becomes more aware of this service, there (SIA thinks!) should be some dynamic shifting to SIA's new service of those whose routings benefit from the new service (so people flying to SIN, SE Asia, India) and who appreciate the level of personal space and comfort that is offerred, in addition to the inflight service and catering.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 6:02 am

Programs: DL SkyMiles PM/2MM, AA Plat, IC Diam. Amb., Peninsula regular, amanjunkie
Originally Posted by bocastephen
That's the point - I don't think they can fill these aircraft. I see frequency reductions coming initially, then perhaps the loss of one of the cities next. I could be wrong, but given the cutbacks occurring in business travel, especially paid J, I think SQ's timing is bad.

As for 3-class? I'm not flying to Asia in standard economy.
A rotation of 4 aircraft flying and one spare on day-long flights is pretty much ideal for a small subfleet. Reducing it to just EWR, with 2 aircraft flying and one spare (and the others sold), blows the economics.

If they call fill these birds with pax, they might be able to squeeze in more cargo to improve the revenue generated by each flight.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:18 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: AF Platinum, EK Gold, AA EXP, UA 1K, Hyatt Globalist
Originally Posted by Singapore_Air
As for LAX, well it's hard to tell but it is clear that people are willing to pay for what is the best Business Class in the world. Yes there is competition but as the market becomes more aware of this service, there (SIA thinks!) should be some dynamic shifting to SIA's new service of those whose routings benefit from the new service (so people flying to SIN, SE Asia, India) and who the level of personal space and comfort that is offerred, in addition to the inflight service and catering.
Agree entirely. ^

Personally, after experiencing my first SQ flights last month, I now plan to fly SQ to Europe anytime I can't find LH mileage seats. What's not to like about SFO-ICN-SIN-CDG all on 77W, FRA-JFK and then home on VX, for less than $8,000 in First? And 30K EQMs.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:31 am

Originally Posted by SFO777
Agree entirely. ^

Personally, after experiencing my first SQ flights last month, I now plan to fly SQ to Europe anytime I can't find LH mileage seats. What's not to like about SFO-ICN-SIN-CDG all on 77W, FRA-JFK and then home on VX, for less than $8,000 in First? And 30K EQMs.
From what I've read, the new J seats on the A340 are not exactly garnering rave reviews - quite the contrary. Your experience flying other SQ aircraft is likely to be different, and from reports, much better.
Old Aug 12, 2008, 8:56 am
FlyerTalk Evangelist

Programs: UALCO Holdings General Member
Someone was complaining about the cabin feeling too narrow , I found the New config to be much better than the spacebed.
The seat is huge, the screen is huge and the cabin was just fine for the 18:30
hours SIN-EWR.
My only complain is why did they take the windows out of the lavs.

Contact Us - Manage Preferences - Archive - Advertising - Cookie Policy - Privacy Statement - Terms of Service -

This site is owned, operated, and maintained by MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. Copyright © 2024 MH Sub I, LLC dba Internet Brands. All rights reserved. Designated trademarks are the property of their respective owners.